Campsites for Skiing (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I thought it may be useful to have a thread for personal experience of campsites suitable for skiing, so I'll start.........

Feb 2014 I stayed here: http://www.champ-du-moulin.com/
It is 10 minutes uphill walk to a bubble taking you into Les Deux Alpes.

Campsite:
Usefully low at 900m
Route is along lower river valley so no scary hairpin bends and less likelihood of needing chains
Peaceful quiet site in lovely setting - bread and croissants available and small sauna.
Facilities adequate and warm though a little worn.

Les Deux Alpes is good for intermediate skiers - beginners slopes tend to be up high and the return to town slopes are more advanced - advantage being fewer crashes going down at end of day.

4 days was about right for the area

There is a car park close to the entrance to Les Deux Alpes for those not wanting to pay.

All in all it was a very enjoyable experience and introduction to ski-motorhoming. Plenty warm enough and I enjoyed the quiet mountains away from boisterous night revellers.

Surprisingly, I had TV satellite reception.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 15

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Likewise, no problems with satellite reception in the Alps!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ours worked in the Alps skiing and again back in September also worked just inside the Spanish border Mediterranean side in October.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I thought it may be useful to have a thread for personal experience of campsites suitable for skiing, so I'll start.........

Feb 2014 I stayed here: http://www.champ-du-moulin.com/
It is 10 minutes uphill walk to a bubble taking you into Les Deux Alpes.

Campsite:
Usefully low at 900m
Route is along lower river valley so no scary hairpin bends and less likelihood of needing chains
Peaceful quiet site in lovely setting - bread and croissants available and small sauna.
Facilities adequate and warm though a little worn.

Les Deux Alpes is good for intermediate skiers - beginners slopes tend to be up high and the return to town slopes are more advanced - advantage being fewer crashes going down at end of day.

4 days was about right for the area

There is a car park close to the entrance to Les Deux Alpes for those not wanting to pay.

All in all it was a very enjoyable experience and introduction to ski-motorhoming. Plenty warm enough and I enjoyed the quiet mountains away from boisterous night revellers.

Surprisingly, I had TV satellite reception.

We also stayed here last Easter. Beautiful setting and we ate outside most evenings. We shall be returning again this Easter. On the MTB front I would say that you need to be some kick ass mountain bikers for the terrain. Everyone we saw had all the heavy duty kit..helmets, body armour and leg armour. The mountains are not for the faint hearted however there are some fire trails around that are a little more kind to the less experienced rider. Can't wait to return.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Useful thread thanks
Does anyone know of a winter campsite near ski slopes that has cabins or chalets with private bedrooms?
The champs du moulin looks fab and just what we need for my large visiting family but the cabins are all open plan with half room dividers instead of walls and we have 3 adult families who need their privacy. So disappointing as otherwise I'd book in a shot.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Unless I'm reading the floor diagrams wrong? Maybe they don't draw the walls in!

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks I will.
They are so cheap we can probably get two. The list of precautions she put on the website for winter motor home camping had me a bit worried,though... I hope I can manage it all. Have always left tech stuff to Martin who now has bad coordination due to his Parkinson's. We are so.motivated I'm sure we'll be fine and I'm really good at asking people for help...

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
And Another..........

Grubhof in St Lofer.

Probably the best camp site at which I have stayed!
Lovely site by a river - pleasant 30min walk to the bubble car, or there is a free bus every 30 min.
Excellent sauna/wellness suite (Austrian rules IYKWIM), huge drying room, super facilities, even a room for doggy wash.

St Lofer itself is good for 4-5 days skiing, at intermediate level. Very friendly attendants, few but cosy restaurants.

All in all a very enjoyable stay - recommended.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back