weighbridge - it seemed like a good idea (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh dear, decided to check weight of MH, never bothered before, happily telling myself it is huge, 5ton total weight we must have masses of payload

Hmmm

Have a friendly customer with weighbridge just down road on way to get gas (that's another story / thread refillables) anyway, weighed front whole and rear, after some discussion we even moved back and forward on each individual axle to see what difference it make (not enough to worry about)

But for me it might just make the difference, I filled brim full with fresh water, both grey and black totally empty, gas half full? no gauge half tank of diesel

Me driving, took Lola for drive (52kg) so she matters, but no Bev!!

Total 5140kg limit 5000kg

Front 1660kg limit 2000kg

Rear 3340kg limit 3500kg

So frustratingly compliant on each axle but still overweight

Not packed many clothes yet, so going to have a serious chat with the contents of the garage

Just fitted VS rear suspension and E + P jacks on the basis that I thought I had masses of payload, they added about 100kg between them, by the time the original springs have been removed

Disappointed and more than a little confused, I am going to see if the weight can be uprated, seems odd that both axles are under limit but total is over

Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Diet not going to plan then @DavidG58

That's why I bought a big German MH, you don't see many lightweights over there

But in direct answer - no, I did get on weighbridge myself, 120kg, must look at starting that diet, maybe after the next trip :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The extra allowable load the individual axles is to allow for uneven loading.

Our axle weights add up to 4400 kg, but the gross is only 3850 kg.

The good news is that such generous axle weights make uprating by the likes of SV Tech a very straightforward paper exercise.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I had totally the opposite, finally got to the local weigh bridge, limit 4005, actual 3530 with full diesel full water and all the stuff we keep in her.
In my mind that means I can buy 500kg's of gadgets! :D
Or perhaps loose 30kg replate and save money on insurance, ferries, tolls, recovery services and best of all virtually anybody could drive it (y)

Total 5140kg limit 5000kg
Thats seems alot over, appreciate that all the plush furnishings weigh abit, but what exactly have you got in that garage?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Or perhaps loose 30kg replate and save money on insurance, ferries, tolls, recovery services and best of all virtually anybody could drive it (y)
I know it isn't allowed, but: lose I think you'll find, loose means not tight :D (don't take it serious, only meant in jest)

You were doing so well until you said anyone could drive it!!! That was enough to give me the heebie geebies! The thought of someone else driving my van is a bit like someone else wearing my underpants!! :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thats seems alot over, appreciate that all the plush furnishings weigh abit, but what exactly have you got in that garage?

I haven't got time before we go away, but I will take it back empty when we get back, will take out as much as I can before Friday and just be careful on how much booze we try to bring back :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Weight makes no absolutely no difference to insurance. Never been asked the plated weight when getting insurance quotes and when we uprated ours I rang the insurers just to check and they weren't in the slightest bit interested. Also being over 3500kg you save money on the tax disc (y) All the tolls I've been through are based on vehicle dimensions not weight and especially in France if it comes up with Class 3 just press the button, tell them you are a camping car and they will change it to Class 2. Don't know about ferries as we always use the tunnel where, again, weight isn't relevant or even asked for. Recovery maybe if you have it as a separate item but for us it's part of the insurance so again the weight makes no difference. (y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I know it isn't allowed, but: lose I think you'll find, loose means not tight :D (don't take it serious, only meant in jest)
You are correct, thank you for spotting the deliberate mistake, I did ponder it and almost went for '..get rid of ..' instead, thinking that no one would dare comment! :sneaky: (BTW: No offence taken)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The obvious upside was missed, I wouldn't have enough payload to carry the wife, so I'd have to get a trailer! :coolest:

[edit to add the negative] note to self concentrate on one thing at a time

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
in France if it comes up with Class 3 just press the button, tell them you are a camping car and they will change it to Class 2.
Do you know, I have never bothered to look at what comes up on the toll charges, I just put in my credit card, I will look out for it next time.
A valuable tip has been learned today! :D

Deleted User
Um, we are taking ours to be weighed when back in Uk after so many recent posts on here.
Only a PVC but we have changed the layout twice, we originally had about 500 to play with, having since remove a wine cooler an microwave and think the new layout is lighter. Hope we are ok.
The dogs are 100kg between them!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Put mine on weighbridge weeks ago, just me, half water, quarter diesel, no swmbo, dogs, food, drinks or clothes.
Plated at 3500, came in at 3560.
Got to remember since built it now has awning, solar panel, sat dome and microwave added to weight, went on line and filled in paperwork for Sv Tech, just about to phone them this morning when the post arrived with the invoice, paid it and phoned them.
It is now 3850 so got plenty to spare and purely a paperwork exercise.
:):)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's why I bought a big German MH, you don't see many lightweights over there

But in direct answer - no, I did get on weighbridge myself, 120kg, must look at starting that diet, maybe after the next trip :D
Makes us look like lightweights 120kg is more than the two of us.:LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you know, I have never bothered to look at what comes up on the toll charges, I just put in my credit card, I will look out for it next time.
A valuable tip has been learned today! :D

You should be Class 2 if you're less than 3m high and Class 3 over 3m no matter what weight you are but they will usually let you get away with Class 2 in a MH whatever. A lot of the time it may only be a few cents so it's more about the principle than saving loads of money.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Put mine on weighbridge weeks ago, just me, half water, quarter diesel, no swmbo, dogs, food, drinks or clothes.
Plated at 3500, came in at 3560.
Got to remember since built it now has awning, solar panel, sat dome and microwave added to weight, went on line and filled in paperwork for Sv Tech, just about to phone them this morning when the post arrived with the invoice, paid it and phoned them.
It is now 3850 so got plenty to spare and purely a paperwork exercise.
:):)

Glad to hear it went through so easily, but you haven't gained 'plenty' full diesel, water, wife and dogs even without food / booze will take most of the gain I would have thought, unless you have really small wife (y):)

Deleted User
Anyone know approximate weight of wind out awnings and a 200w solar panel?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anyone know approximate weight of wind out awnings and a 200w solar panel?

I think that a 4m Fiamma awning is around 30kg and a 100W solar panel is around 15kg but there will be variations. If you have a single 200W panel best check with whoever supplied or fitted it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You should be Class 2 if you're less than 3m high and Class 3 over 3m no matter what weight you are but they will usually let you get away with Class 2 in a MH whatever. A lot of the time it may only be a few cents so it's more about the principle than saving loads of money.
Ah! I was getting my hopes up too early, we are 3.2m high, oh well, never mind! :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

and mostly it will virtually double the toll, stick to non tolls, no difference then :)(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ah! I was getting my hopes up too early, we are 3.2m high, oh well, never mind! :D

You will still get away with it in unmanned ones. If it comes up with class 3 press the button and say "Nous sommes une CampingCar . Je pense que nous devrions être de classe 2" It might not work every time but it will more often than not. In the manned ones I guess it depends on the operator - say Camping Car and see how you get on.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Glad to hear it went through so easily, but you haven't gained 'plenty' full diesel, water, wife and dogs even without food / booze will take most of the gain I would have thought, unless you have really small wife (y):)

I only weigh in at 80kgs and she's lighter than me, both dogs 8kgs each so should be able to keep under new limit.
As a bonus my road tax will be lower.
Took everthing out of storage compartments and weighed it, came to 110kgs and some stuff has been removed as it not been used.

Deleted User
I think that a 4m Fiamma awning is around 30kg and a 100W solar panel is around 15kg but there will be variations. If you have a single 200W panel best check with whoever supplied or fitted it.
Thanks, will find out for sure when we weigh it, hopefully the wine cooler and microwave will cancel those out.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We only took delivery of our new motor home a month ago, but something we found really useful when planning the spec' was that the Hymer accessory brochure gives the weight of the various options. So we knew exactly what effect adding things like awning, tow bar, spare wheel, etc would have.
Stef.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is there any downside to uprating your van?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
C1 licence will be required, if you have that, personally I can't see a downside. You get cheaper road tax, but you are subject to the lower national speed limits. Let's be honest, none of us are going to break the land speed record in our vans are we?

Is C1 just the normal driving licence?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back