The search for a kayak continues (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The search for a kayak to carry on the motorhome continues. Not being one to rush in head first I compared the specs of many small kayaks and list them below by length starting with the shortest.
Galaxy Cruz 283 x 82 x 35
Malibu Mini-X 283 x 85 x 30
Ocean Ranger1 285 x 85 x 30
Gosea 294 x 81 x 36
Raptor 295 x 83 x 38
The Raptor proved to be the longest I could fit diagonally across the rear of the motorhome.
Availiable from Kayaka214 on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161447434933?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
So what do you get.
It comes with 2 x storage hatches, 2 x flush rod holders, a deluxe rod holder, a large rear storage area with bungee, stainless steel fittings, moulded handles on the sides for one person to carry as well as carry handles for 2 people at the front and rear and a rear drainage plug (as per photo's).
The Raptor is made from 4.5mm polyethylene and is roto moulded for durability and comes with a long warranty.
Dimensions - L: 295cm, W: 83cm, H: 38cm
Weight: 22kg, will carry 1 person up to 130kg
Kayak
2 piece paddle and paddle leash
Deluxe high backed Padded Seat that gives lots of back support
2 x Flush Rod Holders to the rear of the seat
1 x Deluxe Swivel Scotty Rod Holder complete with a Scotty surface mount (wellnuts are moulded into the hull and screws supplied along with a tool to fit them)
6 x Scupper Plugs
Also currently included is a trolley and securing strap, this may change in the future to include a PFD instead but check the bundle offered at the time.
[/URL
]
The camo colour of my kayak blends very well with the glass so using it for wildlife photograpy on inland waters should be a breeze.
There are two hatches with screw covers, both are watertight compartments with no access to the interior of the hull. Both are secured with a leash.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak005_zpsda0e1069.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak006_zps2986913f.jpg.html][/URL
]
Handles moulded into the inside if the hull make for a clean no snag exterior.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak004_zps4467bc6a.jpg.html][/URL
]
2 Piece paddle stows conveniently in the motorhome.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak010_zps51615d3d.jpg.html][/URL
]
The high backed deluxe seat is very comfortable and gives lots of back support.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak009_zps797643bf.jpg.html][/URL
]
Rear storage area with bungee straps provide room for your tackle box or dry box for snacks/clothes etc.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak007_zps4116be0c.jpg.html][/URL
]
The lines are smooth making a good looking yak with uncluttered sides. A paddle park would be useful the camo colour great for inland but if you want to use it at sea I would recommend you go for a more visible colour for safety.
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak008_zpsa57428d8.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/wildman692/media/Kayak%20Launch/RaptorKayak012_zpsba4b1312.jpg.html][/URL
]
The weather conditions at the moment are creating excellent surf making an immediate launch difficult, however I will persevere and have been assured I can take my time to get the right video an still that show what it is capable of.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm confused, are you buying it or selling it ?

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am buying and at the same time providing information for other funsters who have already expressed an interest. I find the best way to do that is to detail what is available There are not that many small kayaks that will fit inside a motorhome that are man enough for my 17 stone, I am lucky enough to be able to try out a few and pass on my findings. It is for the individual to choose what will best suit them. I don't sell kayaks, given the right conditions I use them, it is the third in my stable, the others have to be carried on a trailer. That makes parking a problem and also the cost of taking it to France, so my quest outlined earlier in the year was to find a suitable candidate to fit inside my motorhome and then transfer to a rack across the back, thus saving a lot of extra costs due to length on the ferry/tunnel. I fish from a kayak so inflatable not really an option for me. Next to motorhoming, kayaking is the fastest growing sport with sit on tops being the easiest to master, my legs are not what they were but I can paddle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The trolley does not use the scupper holes which for me is a plus as I have always thought they were prone to damage.

The lack of access to the hull is actually a plus as it makes the whole thing watertight. forward hatch great for stowing keys wallet and phone in dry bags to be certain they are safe whilst the hatch in front of the seat is a great bait/rig box.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Did you get chance to give the kayaka214 a work out? What did you think?

We went to have a look at the sit-ons at Lomo today. They said the payload was 105kg which is a bit on the low side, however I'm wondering of they made a mistake and it should have been 150kg as that seems to be the norm on this type of kayak.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have been quite unwell for a while and at my age cold water does me no favours, however it is warming and my back is improving so hope to get out soon. Of the smaller yaks it is the largest I am able to carry, rear rack almost complete on the motorhome so it will see some action this year. If you come down at all you are more than welcome to try it out for yourself.

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I had the Pyranha Fusion. Suited me nicely. Bit heavy to carry though, needed a trolley or a friend!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think the fusion is a sit-in? I need a sit-on because of disability :( If it was sit-ins we were interested in we would have no problems as I have a garage full of them - all types and sizes from play boats to sea kayaks....... hoping the kids will come and decide which they want to keep and which can go but when I ask them they just say they need all of them :) To be honest they do get used.

Thanks for the offer Roger. It's a long way down to you - especially after Martin's heart surgery we are supposed to stay within 50 miles of the hospital for the 3 months following his op. With spring on the way we are wanting to be out and about again, maybe a trip to The Lakes on the way to baby-sit the Grandson....

UPDATE: Just ordered one and we will see what it is like when we test it on my friend's pond (round and round the island) If it suits we'll order a second. The rod holder might also suit our sails - which come from the pound shop and double as umbrellas..... now that is fun paddling upwind along the loch and having the wind push you back down and all you have to do is steer! On our big sea boats there are rudders so when the wind is behind you all you do is correct the course with your feet - and you can certainly fly along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I hope you mentioned the review would be nice for him to see the feedback I think you will be well pleased they are well built.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I will do that Roger. I've had a couple of emails from him, seems a nice, genuine seller.

There were a few scare stories around about cheap sit-on kayaks, I'm not sure how true they are but It did make me wonder a little - then reading more realised that the person / people involved were out at sea fishing and (by their own admission) inexperienced..... these kayaks are not meant to be used out of sheltered water for goodness sake! There was a claim that GPS / radios / mobile phones became waterlogged and would not work (our GPS is waterproof to 15m I think - and everything else is in double sealed bags) then why if inexperienced would you be out alone.... I'm not saying the stories were untrue just a bit strange.

Anyway looking forward to getting the boat and putting in on the water.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There have been numerous scare stories all about inexperienced people who had no idea, no training and went out on their own. I have always been a belt and braces man, VHF radio, paddle leash and even tie myself to the yak, decent waterproof clothing and buoyancy aid plus a paddle buddy who knows how to help me back on if for any reason I cannot manage by myself.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
There have been numerous scare stories all about inexperienced people who had no idea, no training and went out on their own. I have always been a belt and braces man, VHF radio, paddle leash and even tie myself to the yak, decent waterproof clothing and buoyancy aid plus a paddle buddy who knows how to help me back on if for any reason I cannot manage by myself.

Same here but I would not go far out to sea on a sit-on anyway even though my big kayak is supposed to be an ocean going concern...... I am very much a calm weather paddler and prefer flat water to white. Lakes, grade 1 -2 rivers (a three is okay but not my preference) estuaries, calm bays that suits me fine. Some things in life do not require fear.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well send it up, my birthday in a few weeks, hee hee

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Our kayak from kayaka214 arrived this morning and we had it up on our friend's pond this afternoon. Round and round the island much to the consternation of the geese and delight of the dogs - one of whom jumped into the kayak, and out again, and in again....... and didn't manage to tip it over!!!! Went to order another but they are sold out :( I have sent the seller a message so hope he will get back to me to say he either has more available or will have more available soon. We got a blue model and I'd like a red one to go with it. The seat is very good - probably better than the seats we already have.... lots of lumbar support and keeps you sitting upright in an efficient paddling position.

We tried the kayak in the motorhome and it goes down the centre, no problems. Quite straight forward to get in via the hab door :)

It's a LOT lighter than my Ride and less effort to paddle, nice and stable, turns on a pin but easy to keep straight. I would not want to use it in a high swell or poor weather conditions but for the type of use we want to put it to it will be great.

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Two guys went out in a kayak,it got really cold so they decided to light a fire on the floor to warm up. Of course it burnt a hole thru it and it ended up sinking and they drowned. The moral of this story is " you can't have your kayak and heat it to"

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Two guys went out in a kayak,it got really cold so they decided to light a fire on the floor to warm up. Of course it burnt a hole thru it and it ended up sinking and they drowned. The moral of this story is " you can't have your kayak and heat it to"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You are Something Else !

Everyone else it petrified of damp and you flood yours.

Realised after writing this reply what I had written and your reply..... :doh::doh:

I blame exhaustion after loading the van ready for a get away tomorrow - and a run in with a particularly nasty ex-neighbour.

We've always carried kayaks inside our vans. They are washed off after use and left to dry outside.... then dried with a towel that goes inside a dry bag. the kayak then goes into huge dry bag. No extra water in the motorhome - far less than from boiling a kettle.

Motorhome went for it's hab check today , after we'd had the kayak inside - highest reading was 10 so I don't see a problem :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back