Kampa motor alley air 390 L (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
:clap:At last we have found the awning we've been chasing for months. Need to get away for a weekend now to try it out before we hit the ferry in April.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Lindylou,
Hope it fits ok, we bought one for the Autotrail, (not a kampa), but it was too low to open the door once up, hope you don't have the same problem. We replaced it with a Kampa rally, but not the air one , which is much better.
Cheers, Dave(y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Are these drive-aways?
@davejen , which one are do you think is better - the air or the non-air? - and why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, CWH,
The airs are defo the way forward, IF they clear the doorway, easy to erect and quick, but it depends how close the top of the door is to the wind-out awning, very close on our van so no good, I think the later Autotrails have the wind-out higher so shouldn't have the same problem.
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps, they are NOT driveaways.

Reactions: CWH

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I ordered the Kampa Motor Rally Air 260L at the NEC last weekend, for our 2006 Autotrail Tracker. Based on the post above, I'm hoping the hab door isn't too impeded....gulp! :unsure:

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Will find somewhere to try it out and let you know.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Hi davejen
I have ordered a camptech inflatable awning at NEC delivery mid march and just realised I might have the same problem as you had!
I have a burstner delfin and only have 50mm from top of door to underside of awning, what was the gap in yours.
Steve

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They are very smart looking I must say.

We have got the old fashioned type and can't really justify replacing it yet.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi davejen
I have ordered a camptech inflatable awning at NEC delivery mid march and just realised I might have the same problem as you had!
I have a burstner delfin and only have 50mm from top of door to underside of awning, what was the gap in yours.
Steve
Hi, Steve, just read your post, will check tomorrow and let you know.
Cheers, Dave(y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I ordered the Kampa Motor Rally Air 260L at the NEC last weekend, for our 2006 Autotrail Tracker. Based on the post above, I'm hoping the hab door isn't too impeded....gulp! :unsure:
If it does, get in touch with your supplier, we did and got a full refund as long as it is returned with original box etc.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a Kamap Rally but the non Air type; which is adequate with adjustable frame for sloping ground.

wanted the Air Version but decided i was not going to part with all that extra cash to still have a ill fitting awning.
Despite the fact that these are all marketed as motorhome awning designed to attach to the Fiamma or Omnistor channel, most wind outs protrude from the van by about 80mm, therefore if you erect the awning square and level then you have a gap all the way down the back of the awning between the van body and the awning upright.

This is IMHO is exaggerated on the Air awnings as they need to be erected level as the air tubes are all pre positioned and you cant shift them around in the way you can with most poles.

Also, if the ground falls away in any direction from the van it alters the angle of the inflated base frame which has a knock on effect to the rest of the awning. So if the ground slopes away from the door of the van then the roof angle of the awning is altered and may now contact with the door.

PS: happy to be proved that this is all incorrect. But a good long look while i had the credit card in hand and decided to wait for the next generation.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:)Don't be to put off by the negatives, we have a 390 XL air, have odd problems with a misshaped leg, but it is easy to put up and very stable, nothing to break

The one issue we have is difficulty of pulling the beading through the Omnistor aluminium track, this has sharp edges at the ends and snags the material, we hope to have over come this by buying a length of double beading to fit first, possibly permanently, then attach a plastic figure of 8 track to which the awning will then attach

That reads badly, but I will demonstrate at Chester if anybody is there that wants to know more

My major concern that I had not considered with this style of awning, you need to wind the awning out to be able to reach (we do anyway, our awning is 3m off the ground)then you are winding in a dead weight of 50kg or so on top of the weight of the wind out canopy. it must put a huge strain on the mechanism

Bev loves our awning so I must use it more, she would sell MH tomorrow and go back to a caravan, so not really too much to concede :)(y)

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Well we have had the awning up and all fits well. There is nothing on this awning that would impede the door.

Lin

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
That's good to hear! Would you happen to know the approx distance between the top of your hab door to the awning channel into which you thread the Kampa?

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
It's about 6 inches. There is nothing below the bit where it threads into the awning apart from the inflated tube which goes outwards. This is easily placed out of the way of the door. Apparently they used to have a flap of material all the way along which could have caused problems. That is no longer the case. Hope you have no problems with yours.

Lin

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Well phoned dealer I have ordered awning from today explaining did not think it would fit as not enough height above door! Salesman's reply was sorry no cancellation of order or refunds. Just looked on there website and find the expected delivery is not until 4th april which we where not informed of when ordering,so tomorrow will see if credit card company can help.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Why do you think you will not have enough height above the door. Does the type of awning you have ordered have air tubes above the door ?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
No tubes above door,but I only have 50mm above to bottom of awning and roof seems to slope more from under awning than the one you have.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I see. Hope you get things sorted.

Lin

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Thank you lindylou very very helpful. There where no terms or conditions on the paperwork that I was given or date for delivery,

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Call them again. Tell them you've spoken to citizens advise and that you have no firm agreement. Especially with such a long delivery date. We were looking for the awning we bought from last September. A dealer was offering it with delivery in November. Looking at the site now it is delivery in the near future. Glad we didn't order. We got a good deal at our local dealer with 10% discount.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Here's a question for you experienced folks. I get my MoHo in about three weeks and will be purchasing an awning at some point, probably air, don't know yet. Anyway, I don't have a wind out canopy so where does the awning attach to and am I likely to have problems clearing the hab door. MoHo is Autotrail Imala, 615. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I *think* if you don't have a wind out awning (Fiamma, Thule/Omnistor) you may have to get a mounting rail/channel like those sometimes used on racavans. Without a channel into which you can thread the awning attachment to the van, another option is an awning which has throw over straps which you can peg down the other side of the van to the awning (like our movelite XL has). There may also be other approaches of which I'm ignorant. :)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi davejen
Steve
Hi, Steve, sorry for delay in measuring, got in a bit late yesterday, but checked it today, gap on our van is 70mm so I am pretty sure you will have problems with an air awning. Unless you can fit a caravan -type channel fitted ABOVE the wind-out and then measure the distance to the floor and hope there is an awning tall enough to fit, would be the only answer.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
we have a Kamap Rally but the non Air type; which is adequate with adjustable frame for sloping ground.

wanted the Air Version but decided i was not going to part with all that extra cash to still have a ill fitting awning.
Despite the fact that these are all marketed as motorhome awning designed to attach to the Fiamma or Omnistor channel, most wind outs protrude from the van by about 80mm, therefore if you erect the awning square and level then you have a gap all the way down the back of the awning between the van body and the awning upright.

I fitted an awning rail just under my fiamma windout (y)
The Kampa 260 air now fits snuggly to side of van.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm not understanding. What exactly is causing the problem regarding the gap ?

Lin

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Might the outcome differ relative to awning type/manufacturer? Also, how can you tell if you will defitively have an issue prior to physically testing it? Presumably, not all awnings will have the same size or positioning of certain components such as air beams etc?

Ours should arrive Wednesday, so I'm trying to remain hopeful/positive of a good outcome ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back