Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi fellow Ford Transit Motorhomers! I just wanted to share this with you as the problem I had was a total mystery.

I bought a Dethleff motorhome on a Ford Transit recently, a 2008 Summer Edition, very happy with it. On a recent trip around France for 10 weeks I noticed the reversing bulb wasnt working so changed the bulb as you do. ok so its still not working so changed the bulb again and again still not working so its not the bulb, checked the fuse, fuse was ok, changed it anyway but no joy! Borrowed a vault meter and yes there was power going to the socket when you select reverse gear. So by now you guessed it Im somewhat baffled. So I do some research on the internet. I didnt find alot on the internet to do with the Ford Transit but alot of problems with peugeot and fiat cars. After a few weeks I find out what it is - its the reverse lamp switch which is located under the bonnet on the gearbox, it doesnt look like a switch as you might think a switch should look like, it has a connector and a bolt securing it to the gearbox.

I rang a Ford garage in the uk (as was still in France) and they said "no its not a reversing switch - youve got an electrical fault! bring it in. So rather than pay their high hourly rates I decided to buy a reverse lamp switch which was around £19 before vat. And you guessed it - its all working fine!!!

So I hope this helps all you Ford Motorhomes who may get this same mysterious problem like I did!

Jon :thumb:

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I don't suppose you've got a picture of the switch on the gearbox so I know what to look out for?
Wyn

OP
OP
J

Janele

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ford Transit 2008 Reverse Lamp Switch

Here are some photos of what to look for when locating the reverse lamp switch and what it looks like. Its on the gearbox - quite easy to find when you know what to look for.

Reverse Lamp Switch for 2008 Mark 7 Ford Transit - Part Number - FMU 1444282 - £19.19 ex vat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 549

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add a bit to it.

My reversing light on my 2010 Transit (Chausson) stopped working the other day. Checked the bulb it was fine, checked the wires, no voltage.

So started at the front.

Removed the switch and tested for resistance across it. All good, anyway, it turned out to be a dodgy connection half way under the chassis that was open to the elements and needed cleaning up.

However, just wanted to point out something about the switch.

When you put it back in, make sure you have selected reverse gear. I spent ages today wondering why the damn thing wouldn't screw in, and if I was more persistant would of ended up stripping the threads from the housing. Put it in reverse and it screwed in perfectly.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Here are some photos of what to look for when locating the reverse lamp switch and what it looks like. Its on the gearbox - quite easy to find when you know what to look for.

Reverse Lamp Switch for 2008 Mark 7 Ford Transit - Part Number - FMU 1444282 - £19.19 ex vat

Hi
I had the same on my x type jag, very simular switch did the job now ok. Pete :thumb::thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I once THOUGHT I had a problem with my Transit reverse light during a routine lights check.
The trouble is, my work van has a 5 speed box, my MH a 6 speed one.
Once I had selected reverse and not sixth gear, all was fine!:Doh:

Yes, I had got as far as inspecting the bulb!!!!!!!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our switch has now been replaced under Ford warranty too!:thumb:

The fault started as an intermittent one and gradually got worse to the point of total failure.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My reversing lights stopped working ,
checked cable by shorting the socket out , on the end of the cable , all ok ,
removed switch and checked switch circuit with a meter and it was high resistance ( bad conection) , put it in the vice and pressed the ball down and sprayed electrical switch cleaner down the side of the ball and then worked the ball in and out .
works all ok now ,:devil:

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I currently have a problem with 2008 transit MH.

1) Reversing alarm and light stopped working intermitently, now has stopped altogether

2) Hill start has also stopped working

Are these possibly related or am I ust unlucky?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I currently have a problem with 2008 transit MH.

1) Reversing alarm and light stopped working intermitently, now has stopped altogether

2) Hill start has also stopped working

Are these possibly related or am I ust unlucky?

Might be! Check the drivers manual, if you are in rev gear when you start up, I think it disables the hill start assist.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Reversing light switch stopped working again ......
got one from our local parts factors AECooks .
it is a intermotor component part number 54788 it has a short thread , 2 electrical pins and a Black conecting plug, £9 ,inc vat
My transit is the 2009 , 6 speed.

Phil C

Free Member
Dec 28, 2014
Knowsley nr liverpool
Funster No
MH
Transit roller team 600
Exp
Hi, just joined your site and had an interesting morning reading the many posts. I like many have come across a reverse light problem on my 2009 transit chassis. Put in reverse gear and the light is bright but within 20 seconds the light reduces to just the Orange filament showing. I've checked every connection and all clean so I'm presuming next stop is the reverse switch on the gearbox ? Any advice welcome as a newbie. Finally is the switch easy to get at under the bonnet? Cheers and happy new year......I think the wife will be fed up with me reading all the links on this great site.... By Tuesday!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back