X250 auto: Love it or Hate it (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011

That'd be 'passes' of course, but I'm not clever enough to edit my post :(

By the way, I have the UP selector permanently engaged, as it makes the box hold first for a bit longer before changing up. It's better for getting away from junctions etc - I found the change to 2nd came too soon otherwise and it would bog down a bit, especially uphill.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That'd be 'passes' of course, but I'm not clever enough to edit my post

:LOL:
yes of course it is, it just made me smile when I read it.. I blame predictive text

to edit.. look at the bottom of your post and click on 'edit' .. you can change / correct posts up to an hour after posting ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
That'd be 'passes' of course, but I'm not clever enough to edit my post :(

By the way, I have the UP selector permanently engaged, as it makes the box hold first for a bit longer before changing up. It's better for getting away from junctions etc - I found the change to 2nd came too soon otherwise and it would bog down a bit, especially uphill.
When I first saw this I thouught "wait for it, the wags on here will have a field day". It never happened, very dissapointed

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've been up and down a few hairy passes in my time...let me tell you!:giggle:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
The 3 litre has so much torque that it doesn't change much but not having to even think about it makes a more relaxing drive.

If you drive in France much on D roads you'll not often go more than a couple of miles without a roundabout again and again and again
Only wish my x250 was auto our merc & renault were both auto & loved them.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
The auto box is brilliant as posted previously (similar subject) on the first drive was amazed that it down shifted on hills to provide engine braking. After first trip to France covering a few miles came home and realised that manual boxes were a lot of effort. Change the car shortly after for a DSG box. No torque converters as they should too much like a slipping clutch.

Driving a 4.5 ton 9m lump sedately is quite pleasing it's not a sports car, got a Golf GT for going faster.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We have a semi-auto box (manufacturer not known) in our Rimor/Renault and its great makes driving effortless. Before engaging reverse you have to apply the footbrake as you have too selecting 1st

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
The auto box is brilliant as posted previously (similar subject) on the first drive was amazed that it down shifted on hills to provide engine braking. After first trip to France covering a few miles came home and realised that manual boxes were a lot of effort. Change the car shortly after for a DSG box. No torque converters as they should too much like a slipping clutch.

Driving a 4.5 ton 9m lump sedately is quite pleasing it's not a sports car, got a Golf GT for going faster.
Our semi auto changes down when in auto and traveling downhill giving a good measure of engine braking

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
There is a button next to the gear selector labelled UP, which sets the box to make changes at higher revs in the lower gears to cope with steep hills, so as long as you know you are about to turn up a steep hill
Apparently the 'UP' button also helps when going downhill, using the engine to brake the wagon. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a go soon crossing into Spain via the Somport tunnel.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Apparently the 'UP' button also helps when going downhill, using the engine to brake the wagon.
I think that's correct. So far I've only had cause to switch it on when going uphill at slow speed (1st & 2nd gear) on some particularly nasty tight bits only 200yds from the house, because the engine braking in normal auto mode is pretty good anyway. The box changes down early for you if you brake while going downhill - much better than any other auto I have driven. Having said that, the last torque converter auto box I drove was probably at least a twenty year old design, so things may have moved on by now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back