LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
TONYPANDY Rhondda Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker LB
Exp
Since 2009
Hi can some body help ? I have 2 single points in my camper can these be changed to double points. :Cool: :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
No problem from an electrical point of view, assuming you don't overload your circuit in which case the trip will go, however a double socket is a lot wider so you may have to chop your furniture about which you may not fancy. If you just need extra sockets to charge phone, laptops and so on you may find something like this useful.

Link Removed

There are others available, this may be a bit over the top:Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I always find the easiest method of gaining extra temporary points is to take an extension lead with 4 sockets on. Saves cutting the van about. You can still only use the same amount of Amps, either way depending on hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you just need extra sockets to charge phone, laptops and so on you may find something like this useful.

Link Removed

There are others available, this may be a bit over the top:Smile:

These are great but measure to see if it will fit before you buy one, yes, yes, yes, I know. I didn't, yadda, yadda yadda :p

Surge protector is a bonus but separate switches is a must and don't overload, a kettle, toaster, hair dryer is a tad OTT lol

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have just added extra sockets in our Auto cruise Rhythm, originally there was one double over the hob and one single by the TV next to a 12v cigar socket - no sockets at all at the rear of the van and none near the front, so i added 2 singles (240v) one either side at the rear and another single behind the driver seat - then added a 12v cigar socket, a USB twin port socket and a voltage display at the rear too, took a while to take and get behind all the panels to feed cable but all looks good now, cant ever see them getting overloaded as we dont take many power hungry things with us - its for convenience more than anything else - i hate having cables and extensions running all over the place.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Are the sockets normal UK domestic sockets (with two screws and a square backbox) or the other kind common in MHs with a clip-on bezel and a round backbox (CBE/Berker)? The 'double socket converter' only works with normal domestic sockets, unfortunately.

One solution that works for both types of sockets is a standard 4-way extension. Most have keyhole recesses on the back. Screw two self-tapping screws into the wall/cupboard until they stick out a couple of mm, then slot the 4-way onto it. I think it looks better if you cut down the wire until there's no excess, and refit the plug.

You can buy coloured or metal-finish 4-ways, it doesn't have to be white.

?

Deleted User
21-CiqX1EIL.jpg

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I put extra sockets in my Autotrail, I used the same units as fitted by autotrail, CBE.
The van had 2x single sockets, these are very easily converted to 2x doubles. You just need to source the extra CBE sockets, a double frame and trim to suit the trim of your van. The CBE range allows you to choose what suits your needs best, have a look at their range, you build up the points in single gang units and choose the base frame and trim to suit, or double or triple. On both my additions, I went with a vertical array, you are not bound by horizontal fits, so do what's works for you. If you need, I'll add pics.
Lance

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
image.jpeg
If you do double them up I would advise against putting them this way around like they are in my Autocruise Alto. Quite difficult to get a second plug in! Am temped to rotate them around by 90 degrees if it doesn't look too odd.

?

Deleted User
Who thought up that stupid socket idea? If your kitchen area is to the right i think sideways they will be moved to.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Yes they are in the kitchen area.

Found this picture on the internet - looks like other people have turned them sideways too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
View attachment 111050 If you do double them up I would advise against putting them this way around like they are in my Autocruise Alto. Quite difficult to get a second plug in! Am temped to rotate them around by 90 degrees if it doesn't look too odd.
We have a single socket like that which I turned upside-down. Very easy to do and the only way the Dyson charger would fit. You might be able to turn them through 90 degrees instead.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we had additional sockets added to the rear of the hab area, we told the dealer the likely use for them and they rotated them which ever way we wanted to accomodate the ridged charger plugs and whether the leads came off the top, the bottom or sides of the plug.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
View attachment 111050 If you do double them up I would advise against putting them this way around like they are in my Autocruise Alto. Quite difficult to get a second plug in! Am temped to rotate them around by 90 degrees if it doesn't look too odd.
That's exactly what I've done, rotated
You could just rotate the top one and use it for chargers
thats just what I've done, rotated the top socket 90'. It doesn't look odd and the array works quite well :)

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Rated two sockets 90 degrees. And yes was easy to do, thanks. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 31

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back