Free Member
Jul 11, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2008
Please can anyone tell us where we can get hold of Motorhome Corner Steadies for the rear of our van. We have a Hymer B544 and the minimum distance (on level ground) from ground to the fixing point is 55cm so standard caravan steadies won't do. There are already fixing holes in the chassis where the previous owner removed steadies so we are assuming we can just bolt new steadies on to give more stability when we are parked up. All help appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Please can anyone tell us where we can get hold of Motorhome Corner Steadies for the rear of our van. We have a Hymer B544 and the minimum distance (on level ground) from ground to the fixing point is 55cm so standard caravan steadies won't do. There are already fixing holes in the chassis where the previous owner removed steadies so we are assuming we can just bolt new steadies on to give more stability when we are parked up. All help appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

Hymerites, I have a Burstner with corner steadies but I have never used them. May I ask what benefit they have and am I doing damage by not using them, please?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
y
Hymerites, I have a Burstner with corner steadies but I have never used them. May I ask what benefit they have and am I doing damage by not using them, please?
You're not damaging any thing joy potential for damage if you don't wind them up.
You wouldn't want to rip the camp site up :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Scissor jacks tend to work well as an alternative, easily adjustable etc and very cheap to pick up. You probably already have one with the van that you wouldn't want to use for changing a tyre.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Got mine off ebay removed off a new Dethleff lowline. Mine fold up if I drive off with them down ;)(y)

IMG_0006-XL.jpg

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Mine identical to that. Most important bit is the piece of wood for a soft surface

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have them on ours, we use them when we remember. They do make a difference to the stability of the van when moving around inside but that might be because our kitchen and bathroom are at the rear..if our bedroom was there they'd not get as much use!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I am starting to feel embarrased now. The bedroom is at the back in our van and we use the steadies all the time as otherwise the van seems to bounce all over the place ! :blush:
Lucky you......

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I use the over cab bed, Mum uses the rear one, when the dog moves about its suprising how much the van 'sways',............and that's before any outside wind'd etc.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Land Rovers that people use as campers have an accessory like a corner steady but would you believe the official name for these steadies are "Bonking Bars" :censored::love:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have them on ours, we use them when we remember. They do make a difference to the stability of the van when moving around inside but that might be because our kitchen and bathroom are at the rear..if our bedroom was there they'd not get as much use!

Pmsl. (y)

I am starting to feel embarrased now. The bedroom is at the back in our van and we use the steadies all the time as otherwise the van seems to bounce all over the place ! :blush:

Have you found any particular reason this happens ?:whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most important bit is the piece of wood for a soft surface
When we bought out current van it came with two lumps of timber like that which were heavy and awkward to use. We just happened to have an old plastic chopping board in the garage. I cut it in half, drilled holes to make handles out of bits of old electrical flex and they work fine. Waterproof and lighter than timber :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our bed is over the garage at the back of or motorhome and we use them when on site and it does make a massive difference even if just turning over in bed. I suppose it would depend on the overhang your Vechile has

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the original Hymer equipment was an Alko part (wind-down and auto-extending). We have used ours perhaps four times in seven years - for some, like us, it's not worth bothering to fit them? Extra cost and weight - reduced payload (and possibly reduced ground clearance).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
never use them if the vans rocking don't come knocking :rofl:
the last time I used steady's I cut two lovely trenches across the site
Hang the wind up rod on the steering as a memory jogger

OP
OP
HymeritesWe2

HymeritesWe2

Free Member
Jul 11, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2008
There is a bit of an overhang behind the rear wheels so our van sways quite a bit when we walk about. When laying on the drop down bed it's like being at sea. I'm wobbly enough on my own pins without the van helping me, so a bit of stability would be great. :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back