Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Hi, here's another dumb question we have a CB516 battery charger and whilst I that it charges the batteries does that mean it alternates which batteries it is charging, and from which source ( mobile or ehu) and what is the button for I have been told it is not an on off switch but an indicator (of what) and should be left on at all times. Confusion reigns.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You can download a manual for your charger here http://www.cbe.it/en/content/cb516

It is for charging the habitation battery whist on EHU .. not mobile . Charging while mobile is normally done by the vehicle alternator.

It will only charge the habitation battery not the engine battery unless it has been wired with a selector switch on the control panel.. it won't do this automatically .. your van manual should have this information.

The button is maybe a thermal or overload trip .. pops out when overheated / overloaded , push in to reset .

OP
OP
Shuismo

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Thank you for your reply, however we have looked at the CB website and no mention of the button or it's function is stated. The Dusseldorf show is underway and so CB manufactures are not able to reply to our questions hopefully they will clarify the button mystery when they are able. Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The red illuminated button is the on/off switch. If lit it is ON. If connected to a CBE distribution board it will charge the engine battery at a lower rate too.

My manual for CBE
CA_01111316524852-X2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shuismo

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Thank you your input explained a lot but why they don't put the full manual on the internet I don't know it would make life easier.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Cheers

Our old lead acid battery began burning out last year whilst on charge and the red light cam on. Pungent smell so witched off charger and called CGM! Changed battery and all seems OK except that we now have no power to the fridge and the PV cells don't work!!

Am changing lead acid for and AGM battery tonight despite all those who hate them!

Ismbardbrunel

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Off and on for a few yrs
Cheers

Am changing lead acid for and AGM battery tonight despite all those who hate them!

What charger will you be using, the same one you used to charge the lead/acid battery?.......which charger is it ?...

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The on-board charger is the same one. This is an Electronic Battery Charger CB-516. The brand is a GS or CBE.

Details on it are:Nominal input : 230V - 50Hz
Nominal output: 12 V
Main power: 250 W
Max charging current; 16 A
Final charging voltage14.3 V (Gel 14.1 V (Pb)
Maintenance charge: 13.8 V (Gel 13.5 V (Pb)

It does note state AGM on the on-board charger, whereas the CETEK states it.

So question is will the on-board charger work on an AGM battery, or do you have to change this, in which case what happens about charging the motor battery (? purely the alternator)

The CETEK charger, as an extra top-up source has an AGM setting.

Thanks for the help Lenny

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Andy

I assume that as an AGM battery has lead in it, so long as the charger is set to Pb and not GEL it will work on an AGM?

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Sorry, just read your previous note where you state, "CBE is suitable for PB and GEL it has no setting for AGM".

To return to my question what happens about our motor battery - lead-acid?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine had AGM batteries when I bought it and were fine on PB but they were supported with a 50a Battery to Battery

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
We only have the two batteries - the motor (Pb-acid) and the hab (at present but not working Pb-acid) which we wish to change to AGM. I am sorry but I am no wiser regards charging as you have a 50A Battery to Battery set up (that is new to me..!)

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
You can download a manual for your charger here http://www.cbe.it/en/content/cb516

It is for charging the habitation battery whist on EHU .. not mobile . Charging while mobile is normally done by the vehicle alternator.

It will only charge the habitation battery not the engine battery unless it has been wired with a selector switch on the control panel.. it won't do this automatically .. your van manual should have this information.

The button is maybe a thermal or overload trip .. pops out when overheated / overloaded , push in to reset .

Hi I tried your link but no joy. The CBE516 manual must be well hidden. Any idea where?

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The red illuminated button is the on/off switch. If lit it is ON. If connected to a CBE distribution board it will charge the engine battery at a lower rate too.

My manual for CBE
CA_01111316524852-X2.jpg
Thanks for this info. Just to quite sure, as the last time the red light was on the battery (lead/acid burnt out). I have replaced my two year old lead acid with a new AGM. When depressed the red light sometimes comes but not always. Should it always be depressed or not?

Second question regarding 12v power supply to a Thetford N3000 fridge. Although the battery is new, and is fully charged, when the engine is ticking over the fridge will not function. It does work on EHU and gas, although this was questionable yesterday! But seems OK today. Internal lights function and it has shown a green light for an hour now.

Do you have to have the engine running for any period of time prior to the 12v kicking in?

Third question (!). Wretched PV panels which read 19.8v do not appear to be charging the batteries. Is there any way of checking if the Solar Charger is sending a power supply to either the motor or hab battery?

When is one of the Funsters going to give a course in motor home electrics?

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Simply Google (y) The font of all knowledge, just type the subject in the address bar. Simples:)
But you know that Jim (y)

Google, Google indeed! Come on Andy, you know that Jim knows far, far more than Google. Why would he bother with the Google address bar?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for this info. Just to quite sure, as the last time the red light was on the battery (lead/acid burnt out). I have replaced my two year old lead acid with a new AGM. When depressed the red light sometimes comes but not always. Should it always be depressed or not?
On is ON and should be lit. Yes it should be on always

Second question regarding 12v power supply to a Thetford N3000 fridge. Although the battery is new, and is fully charged, when the engine is ticking over the fridge will not function. It does work on EHU and gas, although this was questionable yesterday! But seems OK today. Internal lights function and it has shown a green light for an hour now.

Do you have to have the engine running for any period of time prior to the 12v kicking in?
No it should work straight away. Suspect split charge relay fault or fuse blown

Third question (!). Wretched PV panels which read 19.8v do not appear to be charging the batteries. Is there any way of checking if the Solar Charger is sending a power supply to either the motor or hab battery?
A voltmeter across the battery should show a higher voltage when charging, at least 13.4

When is one of the Funsters going to give a course in motor home electrics?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The fridge has two separate 12V supplies. One permanent supply goes to the control electronics, from the habitation battery probably. It is always on, even when the habitation switch is off.

The second supply goes to the 12V heater element, and is powered from the starter battery/alternator. There will be a relay, switched by the D+ signal from the alternator, to switch on the 12V to the element when the engine is running. There is usually a 20A fuse for this fridge supply.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The fridge should turn on as soon as the engine is running and the starter motor has finished doing its job. It should stop as soon as the alternator stops.

You may be thinking of the delay of 15 or 20 minutes between the engine stopping and the gas flame of the fridge igniting. This is for safety when you stop for fuel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back