Calais problems (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
like I said, I never seen any, but truth the border contral officer ( a scottish female) told us when she checked our passports that motorhomer were being targeted for imagrant to stow away in and some of them ( the imagrants ) had kinves.

They would have ahd a hard time getting in my locker as it was full of wine

I wasn't doubting what you had been told, just couldn't see how it work in 'reality'

unless it also involves gas of course :D

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I have to say when I came over the french customs and security were shit ....i didn't see one vehicle being checked

Leaving UK I'd say at least 25% were sent through security

Even entering Dover I was sent to security , i was asked 3 of 4 questions by police officer and sent on way he didn't look in van ....

It's no wonder there's a problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's ok when he does eventually get here our soft touch benefits system will sort him out

Help him do you mean?

Oh no! God forbid we might actually help someone in need

Of course ....because everyone knows Britain is great at helping every lost cause in the world .......except the ones who already live here!

For them it's cuts and more taxes

Rubbish, everyone gets the same treatment, the same cuts - except the rich that is. They are the leaches you should be complaining about.

Why even be bothered about these immigrants coming over here ? no one knows them, no one knows what they're capable of or whatever they're running from to come here - I say any do gooders who feel sorry for these people should have them living next to them or in the same street and then lets see how you sleep at night when you hear a creaking on the stairs at night !

I lived next to asylum seekers - they lived in the flat next door to mine - for a year or so. This was in Cricklewood, North London. They were the quietest, most polite and friendly neighbors I had for the whole 20 years that I lived in London. Just like many other neighbors, they were supported by the government. Just as I was when I was made redundant. Same rules for both of us. We were helped when needed. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?

I smell a hint of racism in this thread. It bothers me. :(

Back to the topic though. Yes - you have to make sure that your MH is locked in - every single door and window, and make sure there are no covers to hide under, on the roof or anywhere else. The world is a mess, and people thing that the UK is paved with gold. If you travel widely you get to understand how the UK is viewed from overseas. Not just in Europe - that is very different! LoL But further afield. I had a Vietnamese friend in Australia, who was convinced that all the English still walked around in bowler hats and carrying brollies, bless him! He was a foreign student, like I was, and it was his first time outside Vietnam.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I lived next to asylum seekers - they lived in the flat next door to mine - for a year or so. This was in Cricklewood, North London. They were the quietest, most polite and friendly neighbors I had for the whole 20 years that I lived in London. Just like many other neighbors, they were supported by the government. Just as I was when I was made redundant. Same rules for both of us. We were helped when needed. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?
Yep they said the same about many of the 911 terrorists too - lovely people :D

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Wow...

I'm having a GREAT laugh at some of the posts here!

It is a joy to learn how some of we Funsters are so full of human compassion and consideration towards others!

It amazes me how, despite all the terrible hardships some of us suffer from with cuts and taxes, we can still own luxury leisure vehicles and potter about home and abroad, stocking up with beer and wine and forking out up to £150 per week to park in glorified fields.

Is it too difficult for us to imagine what extreme hardships drive other human beings to the desparate lengths they go to to seek out a better life for them and their families?

We think we are poor and struggling along... We are nowhere even approaching poor...

JJ :cool:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have just read back through all this thread

Having had a part in it I feel part ownership, I have cringed at some of the comments

I have to hope they are tongue in cheek, but it is really hard to tell, had I been sharing a chat at a pub with some of the contributors to this thread I would have had to move away or seriously disagree with the sentiment, or at least my interpretation of it

Written word is easily misunderstood, I hope it is as simple a that

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Oh no! God forbid we might actually help someone in need
Rubbish, everyone gets the same treatment, the same cuts - except the rich that is. They are the leaches you should be complaining about.

I smell a hint of racism in this thread. It bothers me. :(

Back to the topic though. Yes - you have to make sure that your MH is locked in - every single door and window, and make sure there are no covers to hide under, on the roof or anywhere else. The world is a mess, and people thing that the UK is paved with gold. If you travel widely you get to understand how the UK is viewed from overseas. Not just in Europe - that is very different! LoL But further afield. I had a Vietnamese friend in Australia, who was convinced that all the English still walked around in bowler hats and carrying brollies, bless him! He was a foreign student, like I was, and it was his first time outside Vietnam.

Not quite sure what I smell in your post but whatever it is it doesn't bother me one bit.
Supporting genuine asylum seekers is right.
Supporting illegal economic immigrants to gain access to the benefits system that the majority of us have contributed to is wrong.
Being so ready to jump on a soapbox accusing all and sundry of an ism of one sort or another is reprehensible.
This was for the most part either a warning to others or a light hearted thread but if you're absolutely determined to get on the outrage bus I suppose you must.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
This is a serious problem for us all. We all feel this is a problem on our doorstep but watch this space if Scotland get their independence - they will be climbing over Hadrians Wall in droves claiming asylum due to climate issues - cold, wet, shortage of single malt etc. :roflmto:

Before anyone climbs on their soapbox I'm joking

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Why is it when anyone mentions immigration problems there's always someone who cries racism

I've not a racist bond in my body

As for helping people im all for that and charity is great but as the saying goes it should begin at home , we have hundreds of homeless in this country, thousands of kids in poverty , mass unemployment , and families having to use food banks because they can't eat and pay ridiculous high bills .........sort out our own problems look after our own people before welcoming every foreign body with a sob story to our shores or worse still going to theirs and interfering in their affairs

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Why is it when anyone mentions immigration problems there's always someone who cries racism

As for helping people im all for that and charity is great but as the saying goes it should begin at home , we have hundreds of homeless in this country, thousands of kids in poverty , mass unemployment , and families having to use food banks because they can't eat and pay ridiculous high bills .........sort out our own problems look after our own people before welcoming every foreign body with a sob story to our shores or worse still going to theirs and interfering in their affairs

Nail, Head!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
This is a serious problem for us all. We all feel this is a problem on our doorstep but watch this space if Scotland get their independence - they will be climbing over Hadrians Wall in droves claiming asylum due to climate issues - cold, wet, shortage of single malt etc. :roflmto:

Before anyone climbs on their soapbox I'm joking
And joking or not that's a daft comment
We will have to rebuild the wall to stop all the immigrants you lot have let in from coming north .....when your NHS is privatised and and your taxes are increased to cover the loss from us leaving :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
And joking or not that's a daft comment
We will have to rebuild the wall to stop all the immigrants you lot have let in from coming north .....when your NHS is privatised and and your taxes are increased to cover the loss from us leaving :)

Don't go............please! From the heart!:sick:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Wow...

I'm having a GREAT laugh at some of the posts here!

It is a joy to learn how some of we Funsters are so full of human compassion and consideration towards others!

It amazes me how, despite all the terrible hardships some of us suffer from with cuts and taxes, we can still own luxury leisure vehicles and potter about home and abroad, stocking up with beer and wine and forking out up to £150 per week to park in glorified fields.

Is it too difficult for us to imagine what extreme hardships drive other human beings to the desparate lengths they go to to seek out a better life for them and their families?

We think we are poor and struggling along... We are nowhere even approaching poor...

JJ :cool:
Your right we're not .....but believe me there are many in this country who are and no one is helping them ....so how is allowing more and more people sneak over the borders and put more pressure on an already failing system going to help?

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I have to say when I came over the french customs and security were shit ....i didn't see one vehicle being checked
Came back to uk through tunnel yesterday . What a difference. I have never seen so much security. Many Vehicles searched. All Vehicles swabbed. Huge FRENCH customs presence. A complete change to the usual disinterest . Even after clearing customs a definite increase in staff, security etc. reassuring and everything worked very efficiently.

Thanks for the original OP for heads up though.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp

Well said , when do you stand for election because you have my vote.

Could we also do a little more for the self employed sole traders (me) who still needs to work for 25 years before I can claim my pension which I probably won't get because it's been given to an asylum seeker with 8 kids who needs two more tvs to watch Jeremy Kyle.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Came back to uk through tunnel yesterday . What a difference. I have never seen so much security. Many Vehicles searched. All Vehicles swabbed. Huge FRENCH customs presence. A complete change to the usual disinterest . Even after clearing customs a definite increase in staff, security etc. reassuring and everything worked very efficiently.

Thanks for the original OP for heads up though.
Swabbed? Sorry new one on me, what's that(n)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looks like chaos in Calais this morning according to another forum that Julie gets on , queue ing back to motorway at the tunnel

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Swabbing for drugs and explosives! Just like at the airports. Dashboard and steering wheel.

Get that done regularly at the tunnel Folksetone....... They do it in batches of 5 for speed and if a positive then they do individual vehicles a bit more thoroughly

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I will tell you a quick short story of why many many people feel the way i may feel about immigrants/foreigners coming here to claim:
About 14 yrs ago me and my best mate decided to start up business together, at the time the governments had allocated grants to help people start up - we went to 3 different local councils with plans and lots of paperwork (really prepared) we got fed up of being pushed from one department to the other, over a period of about 2 months we got nowhere and decided to borrow from family members for the machines we needed - we started up on our own without any help off our government, 5 months down the road the empty unit behind ours was took over by a foreigner claiming he was a mechanic, after talking to him via his badly broken English he told us he was waiting for his grant to come through so he could buy all the tools he needed - his grant did come through and he ended up with over £2k... he purchased the tools and spent every penny of the grant and showed all the receipts to a guy from the local council grants dept - within a month he sold everything for cash and pissed off back home without even doing a job - and its no wonder a lot of us brits feel bitter not only towards all these coming here but towards our own government for not having balls Oh Please! !

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I wasn't doubting what you had been told, just couldn't see how it work in 'reality'

unless it also involves gas of course :D

I think what she was refering to was, they ( illagals) try to hide in lockers/roof/bike racks and if challanged some have a knife to defend themselves/threaten owners

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back