Hello from a slightly stressed newbie (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Hi all!

We *just* bought a 1993 Swift Kontiki 600. Having driven it home with no power steering it is, I must admit, something of a culture shock, and perhaps even slightly terrifying. I'm sure I'll grow to love it one day... maybe.

Anyway, the first thing we did was fill it with diesel. That was fine. Drove round to the airline to check the tyres and... ok, where are the valves? What are those skinny stick things? Don't look like valves. They have a knurled bit half way down so perhaps they unscrew? Nope. Pushed on the white plastic thing in the middle and... great, air's coming out. Release it. Air still coming out!! Tried to just push the inflator nozzle onto the end of the valve but it didn't seem to be doing anything inflation-wise. It did stop air coming out though so I left it to seek help.

So, I can't even blow the tyres up. What else is going to happen??

*Concerned*

Simon.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Simon

Is this you asking for help, while still blocking the garage forecourt?

Or have you sorted that 'issue'

It is a really steep learning curve, but everybody on here is also somewhere on the same curve as well

Best of luck, don't be shy to ask, some may give sarky answers but they are well meaning really, others will have what you need (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Sounds like they are some sort of either valve extensions, or pressure indicators. Do they need a special key to remove them?? If not, just unscrew them from the valve......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Hello Simon

Is this you asking for help, while still blocking the garage forecourt?

Or have you sorted that 'issue'

It is a really steep learning curve, but everybody on here is also somewhere on the same curve as well

Best of luck, don't be shy to ask, some may give sarky answers but they are well meaning really, others will have what you need (y)

Apologies for not replying earlier - I was persuaded to go out and find a hook-up lead. Failed there too but that'll be ordered.

I didn't block up the garage, fortunately, I just stopped trying to deflate all the tyres and went home dejected.

I'm going to have to upload a picture of the tyre valves somewhere. A neighbour said that I should just push the garage's inflater on hard and it'll work. I'm dubious but this might have to be attempted as my 12v pump only just copes with they Volvo's tyres. It's not him, however, who will look a tit, stuck at the garage.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Sounds like they are some sort of either valve extensions, or pressure indicators. Do they need a special key to remove them?? If not, just unscrew them from the valve......

A picture will be forthcoming. Somewhere. I don't know; it's been a very long day.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Learn something every day here. I didn't even know you could get valve extensions.
Something like this? Broken Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welc: Hi Simon, take a deep breath, stop and think of all the reasons you wanted to buy the van for in the first place. Best £10 you will spend is your yearly £10 for Fun, next make a list of all the questions you want t o ask.

Make a thread with Accurate title for each problem you have different people will pick up on the different issues, thats the best way to get the info you need.

Have you checked the van out for damp, if you have any it's the issue that needs tackling first.

Next year when it's all sorted and you can look back and smile enjoying your van

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi and welcome.

Hymie.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Learn something every day here. I didn't even know you could get valve extensions.
Something like this? Broken Link Removed

That's them!! Did you notice the sole review that said they leak and don't work? That's because they leak and don't work. I took some long-nosed pliers to them and had to pull them off. The relief when I found a lovely shiny *normal* valve behind them was quite splendid.

Well done that camper!

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
hi simon another newbie here, hang in there buddy we have been down that road,and big welcome from us there is some fantastic people in this club who are full of great info and laughter.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
:welc: Hi Simon, take a deep breath, stop and think of all the reasons you wanted to buy the van for in the first place. Best £10 you will spend is your yearly £10 for Fun, next make a list of all the questions you want t o ask.

Make a thread with Accurate title for each problem you have different people will pick up on the different issues, thats the best way to get the info you need.

Have you checked the van out for damp, if you have any it's the issue that needs tackling first.

Next year when it's all sorted and you can look back and smile enjoying your van

Thanks for the sane words, Carol. I did get a bit ranty and slightly overwhelmed earlier but the wolfed kebab and couple of big gins have calmed the nerves.
You know when you start to look at something properly and it's only then you find all the little niggly bits you didn't notice when you had stars in your eyes? That and being up since 4am for work and then being forced to drive a comparatively ancient bus without the aid of a Jack Hargreaves to explain how the steam-powered brakes work. It's a bit like someone took away my laptop and told me I have to use a Commodore 64 from now on :)

It will be splendid, I'm sure.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
hi simon another newbie here, hang in there buddy we have been down that road,and big welcome from us there is some fantastic people in this club who are full of great info and laughter.

I'm hanging in there! It's better already, now that I feel slightly more in control.

I used to drive a Tesco delivery van for a living so the size isn't daunting, it's the bouncy creakiness and gears that operate through bungee cords. It's actually quite fun really and I'm sure it will become huge fun. Just so long as nobody runs out in front of me!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi welcome .
i say they do work . i have some here i first used when i worked for ats in the 70,s . had them on loads of vehicles . ideal if you have fancy wheel trims .
there are loads of different extensions ,brass ,steel ,rubber . you name it they are out there.
the ones i have are plastic just like the pics . but still work.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm hanging in there! It's better already, now that I feel slightly more in control.

I used to drive a Tesco delivery van for a living so the size isn't daunting, it's the bouncy creakiness and gears that operate through bungee cords. It's actually quite fun really and I'm sure it will become huge fun. Just so long as nobody runs out in front of me!
shame you didnt buy a vw slit screen camper . you really would think what you have now is a rolls royce .
mind i do like vw,s . ha ha .

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Simon and welcome :welc:
Carols advice was sound. Follow that and you won't go wrong.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome to the best club bar none. As Carol said - all your questions will be answered with a few jokes along the way - stops you from getting too hung up on what may seem at first insurmountable problems. Get to the meets and rallies. They really are the best way to spend a weekend (or longer if you are in the happy situation of being retired!)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Simon, as a fellow non power-steered m/h owner, '89 C25 Hymer in my case, enjoy the new found freedom (not to mention the steep learning curve :whistle:) your new purchase will give you in time...........:)
And as cliffandger so rightly says, if you can get yourself along to a rally/meet, you will be made welcome. (y)

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
Welcome!
We are relatively new here too!
Don`t forget there's several people that do power steering conversions around the country if it gets too much?
Typically about £600, they are electric and they simply replace your steering column with an already modified one!
Have Fun!

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Having driven it home with no power steering it is, I must admit, something of a culture shock, and perhaps even slightly terrifying. I'm sure I'll grow to love it one day... maybe.

Think 'bout it...in a few weeks you'll have muckles like Popeye !!!!
Have great fun & ENJOYYYYYYYYY(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Is it a Talbot base?
If it is!
Them gears:love: the knuckle cracker 1st gear:ROFLMAO: the where the hell is it 3rd
Been there, got the deformed knuckles to prove it:whistle:

Welcome anyway, info is always available on fun! from greywater disposal to septic tanks(y) Gassing to A Frames, MPG or MPL, and there is always something that raises a smile, don't be afraid to ask, even the most mundane question, advice is free(y);)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Could try fleabay for your lead we sold a spare on there recently new went dead cheap

David

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
hi welcome .
i say they do work . i have some here i first used when i worked for ats in the 70,s . had them on loads of vehicles . ideal if you have fancy wheel trims .
there are loads of different extensions ,brass ,steel ,rubber . you name it they are out there.
the ones i have are plastic just like the pics . but still work.

I pulled them all off today. The garage airline nozzle then went on easily and when we got home again (with much lighter steering!) I molished a tool to put normal dust caps on and off without the risk of dropping them into the wheel - a short 3/8 socket extension and 9mm socket did the job perfectly and it now lives in the glovebox.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Welcome!
We are relatively new here too!
Don`t forget there's several people that do power steering conversions around the country if it gets too much?
Typically about £600, they are electric and they simply replace your steering column with an already modified one!
Have Fun!

Now there's some wind in the tyres it's *much* better.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Could try fleabay for your lead we sold a spare on there recently new went dead cheap

David

Got one today on Ebay from a nice chap in Sandwich, Kent. 25m of lovely hook-up lead for £15. Happy bunny. Just waiting for the 240v adapter from Amazon now to complete the set.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
have fun with your van.i got power steering fitted.boy what a difference .as some one said it cost me £600.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Is it a Talbot base?
If it is!
Them gears:love: the knuckle cracker 1st gear:ROFLMAO: the where the hell is it 3rd
Been there, got the deformed knuckles to prove it:whistle:

Welcome anyway, info is always available on fun! from greywater disposal to septic tanks(y) Gassing to A Frames, MPG or MPL, and there is always something that raises a smile, don't be afraid to ask, even the most mundane question, advice is free(y);)

Fiat Ducato base. The only problem I have at the moment is the accelerator pedal. I've whinged about this in another thread :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back