when on site do you use motorhome for travel (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We always use the site as a base for going out and about every day.

It's great going down to the beach in the van and having all our home comforts around use - kitchen, loo etc.

No problem parking in a single bay in car parks at less than 6m either (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We haven't so far but we're 7.4m long so not quite as many parking options. We walk, use bikes, use public transport and have hired a car once so plenty of options.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
We always used to tow a motorbike but since getting a second dog, that option went ( can take 1 dog on the bike but not 2) since we have started using the m/home as a car we have had no problems at all. It is a van conversion (Auto Sleeper Duetto) so only a long wheelbase Transit so can go most places without height restrictions, and we have got very quick at leveling it and connecting electric, drain etc. We were thinking of towing a car but have decided not to as no need.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Once on site very rarely move it, use the electric bikes, and when I have thoroughly explored the area it is usually time for us to move on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Once on site very rarely move it, use the electric bikes, and when I have thoroughly explored the area it is usually time for us to move on.
We have bikes but Mrs. gasman will not ride on the road, and I'm not keen, so we take them on the m/home to off road tracks

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
7m motorhome and use it like a car. In 7 years and over 350 nights away used a bus twice.
There is always somewhere to park it may mean a walk or cost 2 parking spaces but so what. If I am going to leave the MH behind then its time for a caravan.
Same here (7.3m motorhome). Take all facilities with you (loo, cooking, sleeping if you need to), stop somewhere scenic for lunch (y)

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We drop anchor, then that's it. Walk, bus or bike. We have noticed that since changing over from the 'tug', we walk a heck of a lot more, and save fuel by either shopping on the way in, or the way out.

We do the same(y) (Except we've not had a caravan)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We usually look for aires with either good public transport access or bike tracks. On the odd occasion we use sites we do the same. If we take the MH somewhere else it's usually en route to another stopover. Generally we don't commute in the MH because we don't want to lose the aire spot, plus we tend to travel long distances on driving days and we're sick of the sight of its interior by the time we've arrived.

I bought one of those two-wheeled bike kiddie trailers so we can avoid taking the MH off aires - I've used it for local supermarket trips and for taking jerry cans and the bog cartridge to a service point a mile down the road. It's really handy.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
always use the motorhome to explore. At only 6mtrs long we can always find somewhere to park. When in Germany or France the Aires we choose are usually within walking or biking distance to a village or town

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
very seldom,mainly use bus pass or hire a car for one or two days,but only stay on sites two or three days..

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm really surprised at the number who don't use their motorhomes for daily pottering about from the site. What's the point of having one, and then not using it fully? One of the joys, for us at any rate, is to know that we have everything with us (from food, to clothes, to loo and even beds) should the need arrive while sightseeing. In seven years, there's only been one occasion when we haven't been able to park in a particular town or village, all it takes is a bit of give-and-take, perhaps looking for lorry or coach parks, maybe trying a sports centre or school out of term time. If we need two bays in a public car park, we've happy to pay for them. As someone said earlier, the day that we leave the MH on site is the day we go back to caravanning. Incidentally (and at risk of offending all you TOADers) the same applies to towing a car behind a motorhome unless there's a particular medical reason or the MH in question is of gigantic proportions.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I'm surprised how many people use them every day even when i had had a caravan i only used the car once

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
never walk ,never bus, since we bought our new bikes we have gone miles with the trailer on the back with the dogs in.
Hubby always makes sure we find the pub routes, just to add extra pedal power.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm really surprised at the number who don't use their motorhomes for daily pottering about from the site. What's the point of having one, and then not using it fully? One of the joys, for us at any rate, is to know that we have everything with us (from food, to clothes, to loo and even beds) should the need arrive while sightseeing. In seven years, there's only been one occasion when we haven't been able to park in a particular town or village, all it takes is a bit of give-and-take, perhaps looking for lorry or coach parks, maybe trying a sports centre or school out of term time. If we need two bays in a public car park, we've happy to pay for them. As someone said earlier, the day that we leave the MH on site is the day we go back to caravanning. Incidentally (and at risk of offending all you TOADers) the same applies to towing a car behind a motorhome unless there's a particular medical reason or the MH in question is of gigantic proportions.

None taken ;)

But we all do things differently, it may in part depend on whether its a holiday or just another day in retirement

We have chosen to totally chill on site for 24 hours when we can, this could include a walk into town or village, then we sight see on the next part of the journey

One of our issues in our MHing life has been adapting from tugging mode, where we always had a car to go out and about shopping etc, we now select more 'appropriate' sites that allow us to pop out on foot or bike, or just rest, hopefully with a view, or get to know neighbours

It has been a tough adjustment for us to make after 25 years tugging

France in October and Aires all the way, maybe a cheap ACSI site for wifi to let you all know how it going

Good to see what you all think, it does look like size is one of the big deciders though, I don't mind parking in 2 bays and paying, but often the only other options have been coach or lorry of which we are neither and the signs warn of tickets

We have found a good few options for road side and car park parking, but it is an added stress we don't need

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Rarely use sites since having mh , when I tugged I left caravan on site and used car.

I bought a motorhome so i had everything with me ....but even wilding I normally get up in morning do sightseeing etc during day park for lunch more sightseeing any shopping done on route then find a place to camp about 4 or 5 pm ...move next morning ....if I happen to spend more than 1 night then it's either to chill or go biking etc

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just as an aside, I use the van as everyday transport at home, sold our second car when we bought the van and used it for the daily commute to work for 3 years till I got early retirement, regularily do the shopping in it although I do have to think about my parking spots.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We find that if we leave site to sightsee we don't want to go back and we end up moving on,maybe only a few miles but I just aren't keen to go backward. Martin&Sue

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We purposely bought 6m MH so we could use it as transport. We drive to wherever we want to visit, drive into town always parking before restrictions start and walk into town. exercise is as important as free parking !

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I saw this on another thread earlier this week, seems amazing value and opens up options for us to consider, we have an 8m MH not huge, but not easy to park in car parks

Got to be careful not to end up like a caravanner though :D

As Fidget says in #26 hiring is a viable option through the CC deal with Enterprise and that deal's Europewide. We stay on sites in France and Spain for longer than a week because our interests are many and varied and certain areas we like better than others. We've hired all over France and Spain and feel we've had a good deal each time. For local boulangerie run it's the bikes, in Holland it's invariably the bikes. Whenever there is good public transport we use it and don't hire. Our average hire cost has been £10-16 a day and we always prebook, even if it's only a few days before.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We use our bikes, especially in France, Netherlands and Belgium which have lots of bike lanes separated from traffic. We're off to Germany next week for the first time and hope that they have separate bike lanes. We live in Corwall, but don't cycle much, drawing a 2 foot wide white stripe at the side of a busy road like the A30 and calling it a bike lane doesn't make it any safer.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We almost never use it once we park up. Visits to towns or shops is done when moving between places. I always look for sites near to transport links, bus, train, walking routes and as the dog bites me if I get on a bike we don't have them (mind the wife won't ride one). Always use public transport when its viable. Don't tend to stay in one place more than a couple of days.

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
7m motorhome and use it like a car. In 7 years and over 350 nights away used a bus twice.
There is always somewhere to park it may mean a walk or cost 2 parking spaces but so what. If I am going to leave the MH behind then its time for a caravan.
+1 ....IF YOU DONT TRAVEL AROUND IN IT YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE A CARAVAN AND SAVE YOURSELF £40k+

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
for the first time we have taken a toad to France. Its been a mixed blessing so we are unlikely to do so again. Useful on occasions but a hindrance most of the time. MH. Is 7.5m and we can usually find somewhere to park. We are about to leave it with friends for a week or so and tour without it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is no doubt a fifth wheel or mini artic is the best idea . can be driven on a b+e if you get the right outfit can have 12ton train weight . one tax one mot and with some no mot . had mine 14 yrs now cant imagine life without it . only 10mtrs together . fits nicely in two car spaces in a super market . carries 7 people . makes a great car with no trailer . and still as lots room on the back for fire wood etc . cant beat a nice campfire.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
+1 ....IF YOU DONT TRAVEL AROUND IN IT YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE A CARAVAN AND SAVE YOURSELF £40k+

You have one opinion, but the reason I asked was to see what we all did, if you only use sites / aires etc for single nights I would far rather do that in my MH than a car and caravan

If you park close to amenities why would you need to drive to get to them, then drive to the others en route to your next stop over

We were tuggers and have struggled to get used to the different options MHs allow

But we are getting there and wouldn't go back now

The hire car option also opens up other possibilities, some of the places we like to get to are more than a little tight for our MH and we have had to abandon a few places where parking was not an option, remote beach areas on Islay most recently

Each to their own hey (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back