Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Just come back from a week and I was going through the motions one of which is putting the MH on hookup so as to keep fully charged.

I got to thinking, would it be more economical to fit a 7 day or longer timer and have it on intermittently rather than constantly. Anyone do that? What are your time intervals?

Dick

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
2 hrs. day would do it the battery's would not have hat any thing drawn from them
I am sure that some one will be along to shoot me down in flames

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most of the year the solar panel keeps both the habitation and starter batteries topped up. When we use the van I normally put the EHU on the day before to cool the fridge down and that deals with any solar shortfall. If other commitments prevent us from using the van for a few weeks in winter then putting the EHU on for a day now and again tops the batteries up. No need to do it more frequently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Do you have a solar panel?, if you do would it be better to have the mains on only ovenight for a few hours as Bill suggested and let the pannel do its work during daylight hours

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Forgive the ignorance but if the van isn't being used and you have a solar panel why do you need EHU overnight? The solar should keep the batteries topped up, shouldn't they (unless there isn't enough light of course)?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We have left our fridge on for about 10 days (the longest time) while in storage, the solar panel has supplied it without any problems, and with a battery master fitted also we have never had any problems with starting the engine either !
PS: We was never aware that the fridge was "ON" at the time, (it must have been on for a few months while in storage) was always made to think that if the leisure battery control panel was turned "OFF" that all the on board electrics was "OFF" also - if you do not have any solar power its well worth investing in (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Getting back the original question and putting solar panels aside..
I dont think there is any point of a timer at all, the on board charger will only operate when the batteries need charging, so in therory once the initial charge is complete it will turnoff or go on a very low trickle when it needs it. ie if something puts a draw on the battery..
Am I right ????

Then again... Have my 80w solar panel and it keeps everything charged up and never plugged in at home in 2 years since fitting !!!! :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The only time I plug in is on long stays on campsites where am charged for electric. If you have solar, then as long as there is no snow on them they should keep on top of any battery drain.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Think the OP needs to determine the quality of his battery charger, ie, is it intelligent enough not to boil the battery. With staged charging permanent connection should be fine. Killing a battery will probably cost more than the electricity used to do it.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The only time I plug in is on long stays on campsites where am charged for electric. If you have solar, then as long as there is no snow on them they should keep on top of any battery drain.

A rather sweeping statement. can your battery system cover air con, tvs, DVDs, computers, hair dryers, hair straighteners and a wide range of other equipment which some seem so keen on using?

These people struggle on 16 amps so no way could s solar panel array produce adequate power.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A rather sweeping statement. can your battery system cover air con, tvs, DVDs, computers, hair dryers, hair straighteners and a wide range of other equipment which some seem so keen on using?

These people struggle on 16 amps so no way could s solar panel array produce adequate power.
I take it you did not read the OP. Why would the OP want to run that lot if his van was in storage ?. But in answer to your question, YES it can.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Off track a little--
While on a site last week i noticed a full season pitch owner next to me in a caravan packing up for the end of his weekend stay.
He came out to the EHU terminal and swapped back in the companies RCD and took his own (probably higher rated) back out !
They seemed to just slot in and out.
Got me thinking !!:D

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Off track a little--
While on a site last week i noticed a full season pitch owner next to me in a caravan packing up for the end of his weekend stay.
He came out to the EHU terminal and swapped back in the companies RCD and took his own (probably higher rated) back out !
They seemed to just slot in and out.
Got me thinking !!:D

Is this not very dangerous if your van wiring is only rated at 16amp?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back