LD LINES - A SAD LOSS? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very sad news. They never appear to last very long at all. They have tried to run this route before but failed. It's a shame as we do need some competition on these ferries. The meaning ripoff really suits them.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I read some where else the ship they use was rented not owned and it will not meet new emissions law for the eu. How true that all is I do not know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Shame. Used them last month very good on price , basic ship but acceptable

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I read some where else the ship they use was rented not owned and it will not meet new emissions law for the eu. How true that all is I do not know.
The ship will meet the Rules covering the emission control areas (ECA) - all it has to do is exactly what every other ship in the area has to do - burn low sulphur fuel, currently marine diesel oil (though very low sulphur residual fuel is becoming available courtesy of Exxon Antwerp). It isn't the ship - it is the economics of running it. It may be a bit less fuel efficient than other ferries but not much

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh well jim will have to hold a few more raffles to buy our own boat.

Deleted User
Very sad news. They never appear to last very long at all. They have tried to run this route before but failed. It's a shame as we do need some competition on these ferries. The meaning ripoff really suits them.

By 'them' I presume you mean BF.

After seeing two operators attempt to offer a cut price service to Spain from the UK in the last few years, and rapidly fail, is it not just possible that BF are charging the rate necessary to offer a reliable, comfortable service and make a profit. After all they are a business.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Thanks for this post as I was planning on booking the Gijon route next January as it was a much cheaper option than Brittany.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I keep reading that they were good because their prices were so much lower than the competition, perhaps their low prices were the main reason for their demise. Companies must make a profit to survive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back