Credit card use in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We use N&P debit card when abroad. No charge for transactions + we get a gnats whisker under the commercial rate on the day. Once (only once) used Tesco Visa credit card, absolute c--p exchange rate.

Also, put a gallon of diesel in a can at a filling station using the lorry fill up pump, all the other pumps were in use. About 6 euro's worth. It actually ear marked 600 euro's on my account until the transaction cleared 5 days later.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Get an N and P debit card !! No charges for ANY use at all in France or Spain, either hole in the wall or any thing else.. Just be sure to answer " Pay in local currency" Not in GB pounds !! Mitch.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thanks to all of you.we now know a lot more than we did before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We use The Halifax Clarity card, have used it in New Zealand, America and France without any problems, would highly recommend it. (y)

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Also be aware that if you use the card at unmanned fuel stations they will probably earmark a substantial amount on your card irrespective of how much you spend - this will reduce the amount of available credit you have on the card till the transaction is processed by the card issuer and the true amount debited ( could be 2+ days)

For many years I worked in France for six months, on a campsite and I never once had my card preloaded at an automatic fuel station.

I always use a credit card as it gives me a good exchange rate and 1% cashback.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We use The Halifax Clarity card, have used it in New Zealand, America and France without any problems, would highly recommend it. (y)

It's great until you lose it. Halifax insisted that the new card must go to my registered address (in the UK). If I wanted one in France I was told to re-register my address to somewhere in France and then they would send me a card....but it would take 3 to 4 weeks.

Luckily we also had a Captitalone card (also Mastercard) and they got me a replacement card to an address of my choice in 36 hours.

Game set and match to the USA.

p.s Halifax refused to call me back to save me call charges (I ran up £56 on my mobile) whereas Capitalone immediately said put the phone down and called me back (cost around £3).

result - everything with Halifax immediately cancelled and everything moved to Santander.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We use credit cards for fuel and tolls and always get a good exchange rate. True, we pay transaction fees, but when you save £35 on a full tank of fuel, it doesn't seem to hurt so much!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back