Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
yes thats the site, its a wonderful little CS, went down to the loch, would be great to launch a boat from there. Yes we found the eggs, might have some jam from them too before we go. Nice owner, thoroughly recommend it for a place to stay in the middle of nowhere.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We haven't been with our motorhome but did with our caravan. Being an adult only site attracted us as it was school holiday time. Its the type of site that has regular clients, when we were there regulars arrived with cats and parrots. Our dogs loved the walk in the woods and the loch and agree with lovely owners.:)(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lochfoot is a nice wee village shame the pub closed a few years ago, we live in Dumfries and I cycle and run up the old military road often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
Hi
Stick to the west coast early Sept and a good sea breeze! later in the month should be safe to head inland? ha
We are up there Mid Sept in the Cairngorms walking and Mountain biking if in the area?
Aviemore`s the place to be in the Cairngorms and can recommend the best sites if interested?
Have a great month travelling! so much to see and do?
Must do`s are Isle of Skye, Isle of Mull, west coast, Arisaig etc and Glencoe.... depends if you want to go island hopping? there are cheaper quicker ferries to get to mull than the longer expensive one like Oban to Craignure.
Use the Corran ferry near Fort William and the Lochaline to Fishnish ferry to Mull, great drive across.
A&J

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
So much for having a month in Scotland! I need some dental work and 2 of my appointments fall in September one in mid month which means that we only have 12 days ! We will pop back for my appointment and stay in a CL near our home and then head to Norfolk till the end of the month . I am now wondering how to organise this whistlestop tour . We have been on Skye and Oban area before so I can leave them out but cannot decide where to spend this shorter time without being on the road all the time .

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We are thinking of taking a 12 day trip to Scotland
Leaving home 1 Sept returning 13 Sept not long enough I know, suggestions for the route would be most welcome, Baring in mind it will take 2 days to get there from South Wales and 2 days to get home
Life these days seems to be driven by verious appointments that cannot be changed or if you do it,s a year or more till you get another so gotta grab what you can

Whatever happened to all the free time we were going to get after we retired ?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
A nice round route and doable in a week :) ....head for Stirling then go via calender, Killin, Crainlaroch, glencoe, Fort William, Arisaig, malaig ....across ferry to skye, back over bridge to kyle of localsh, head for Gairloch but cut up over the pass to Applecross stick to the coast all the way up to Scourie then along to Durness and finally John o groats then down to Dornoch over the bridge on to aviemore and down a9

I do this route every October .....loads of wildcamping spots etc and few midges that late on

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am trying to find some information about an overnight camperstop by the
Falkirk Wheel since we would like to do a bit of cycling there by the canal.
before heading further north .

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
A nice round route and doable in a week :) ....head for Stirling then go via calender, Killin, Crainlaroch, glencoe, Fort William, Arisaig, malaig ....across ferry to skye, back over bridge to kyle of localsh, head for Gairloch but cut up over the pass to Applecross stick to the coast all the way up to Scourie then along to Durness and finally John o groats then down to Dornoch over the bridge on to aviemore and down a9

I do this route every October .....loads of wildcamping spots etc and few midges that late on
I have always been a bit dubious about "the pass of the cattle" what's it like ? We have an auto trail scout 7 metres long !!!!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have always been a bit dubious about "the pass of the cattle" what's it like ? We have an auto trail scout 7 metres long !!!!

It's a bit steep and narrow! We did it a few weeks ago (wild camped on the car park at the top!). If you drive up or down it early or late in the day you will miss all the traffic coming the other way :) It is mostly single track but there are plenty of passing places (less so on the East side). Our van is a 6m Fiat PVC tho'

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
It's very steep you will be in first gear most of the way up ....lots of passing places and stunning view I've done it in a tag axle burstner before which is around 8 metres and I do it in my current van which is 7 metres so you'll be fine

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Well , we were planning on going back up to the outer Hebrides back end of September. We were warned of by several locals and frequent visitors against it. Something about a well known shipping wind. Can't remember the exact term , haha. Strong gusty gales.

They are probably referring to the autumn equinox , frequently gales occur around the equinox which will be on Tuesday 23rd September this year, they are not however confined to the Hebrides.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005

I felt the same as you but we did it in our Cheyenne last May and it was surprisingly great fun, really enjoyed it.
Stayed on the Applecross Inn car park overnight, great pub, great fun.
Wouldn't think twice about doing it again , except in proper winter conditions of course (y)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We'll be in fort William 19th to 24th Aug.

Enjoy the Midges, theBroken Link Removed is still showing high levels up the Great Glen.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
This pic was taken last October at the top of bealach na ba ( pass of the cattle) this was our last van mable 1 a 94 euro mobil 2.5tdi she made it up there no probs as well :)
14079678300380.jpg

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
WE are thinking of going to Scotland, setting off from South Wales around midday Sunday 30th August heading for the Falkirk Wheel area as our first overnight stopover.
Ideally would like a pub where we can eat and stop over for the night
Any recommendations as to where we can lay our weary heads ?

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we are on our way up on 4th september ,,,so might see a few of you on our travels....

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Watch out for the dog ticks, think mine inherited a few from the Inverness area.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are off to The Great Glen, freeloading on a friend's drive in a couple of weeks but just for the weekend.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y) Pleased to read about so many Funsters heading to Scotland. We love to visit late September /October and will be travelling that way straight after Lincoln.:D
Hoping to go up west side and down the east with a few forays inland ( maybe hear a few stags if we're lucky) ;)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Wilidge, maybe bump into you , we are up dumfries galloway ayr part 3rd week of sept.
nice to have met you at Jez & Lyns do in Dorset.
Terry & Ann

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Just back from our first Scottish trip
What can we say but WOW !!!!!
We had planned a circuit but never got 1/2 way around, there is just so much to see
Isle of Skye , we will def be going back, just so stunningly beautiful
Rosemarky , we watched the dolphins from the beach
Plus so much more, the weather was fantastic and not a midge in sight
Thanks to all our funster friends for route suggestions
I am sure we will get around to them all in the next few years !!!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We went over the pass of cattle about 2 weeks ago it's very tight in places but there are lots of passing places just look well ahead and think
We had more problems with motor bikes than cars or vans
Don't forget to stop at the big parking area at the top and take some pics the veiw is stunning
you can stay in the village or if you turn right when you get to coast road and follow it round mayby 300 yards there is a area of grass set just off the beach nice and firm and level we are going back up next year and plan to stop for a week

It was actually harder work going over the pass than any road we traveled in morocco including Atlas Mountains but fun

Edit
I forgot we are 6.5 meters and I had our trike on tow behind about another 4 meters

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We went over the pass of cattle about 2 weeks ago it's very tight in places but there are lots of passing places just look well ahead and think
It was actually harder work going over the pass than any road we traveled

Yeah, hard work. Done it twice, once on my hybrid bike and once on the tandem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back