Help please with the Three roaming service. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Anyone used the Three "Feel at home service" while abroad. I have just been speaking to a very nice lady in India with regard to my feel at home service. She says that all calls to and from the UK are covered, she also says that all data is covered without any additional charge.
Am I clear in thinking that I can use my phone sat nav apps like google with my data turned on, without any additional charge. Sounds too good to be true.(y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
There is a lot of bulls**t coming out of the mouths providers and retailers at the moment. When you get down to the fine detail of these offers it just 'aint what you think they are offering.

You may have to buy an add on or certain countries may or may not be covered and some that are have certain restrictions.

Read the small print before you risk the chance of a big bill.

:cooler:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You need to check that the country you are visiting is covered by the feel at home service. I used my smartphone on 3 in France with data turned on used maps. email, browser etc. and there was no extra charge it all came out of my allowance.

I did not however phone any french number so could not say whether there was any extra charge for international call. There was however no roaming charge for calls to UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure about that mariner, I have an all singing dancing unlimited data plan on contract with Three. This new "Feel at home" service states that within the dozen countries, which the US is one, they offer all calls to and from the uk are used from within your call allowance with no extra charge. They also state that all data is included from your data plan, which mine is unlimited so my question, is this true. Can I leave my data switched on for the duration of my stay in the US without worry. Has anyone already used Feel at home.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have two phones on 3 and they didn't work while in Scandinavia but that was due to having the international roaing switched off seemingly we have to phone to get this changed. We also had a 3 PAYG sim for the Ipad and that worked everywhere with no issues

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You need to check that the country you are visiting is covered by the feel at home service. I used my smartphone on 3 in France with data turned on used maps. email, browser etc. and there was no extra charge it all came out of my allowance.

I did not however phone any french number so could not say whether there was any extra charge for international call. There was however no roaming charge for calls to UK
Thanks lunarman that is what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like a great addition. I can confirm that if you had used your phone to phone a French number then normal international charges would have been charged. This is not covered by the feel at home service. Thanks.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have two phones on 3 and they didn't work while in Scandinavia but that was due to having the international roaing switched off seemingly we have to phone to get this changed. We also had a 3 PAYG sim for the Ipad and that worked everywhere with no issues
Thanks loger I have checked that my roaming is on. Thanks

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used my feel at home in France in July with no charges. I rang family members regularly who are on 3 in the UK, all free. Also my PAYG dongle worked fine there with no extra charges.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Did you mention in an earlier thread that it will be available in Portugal soon and that it only works for 2 months in any one year?

I used my feel at home in France in July with no charges. I rang family members regularly who are on 3 in the UK, all free. Also my PAYG dongle worked fine there with no extra charges.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
3 told me that its 3 months not 2, and there is a data limit. Even though you may be on unlimited data, I think the limit is actually 25gb, which is still quite a lot.
You can't use tethering either.
So, how do they get away with calling it "Feel at Home', when it should be "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...."
Still loads cheaper than other providers though, as long as you are in a "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...." country
Allan

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
3 told me that its 3 months not 2, and there is a data limit. Even though you may be on unlimited data, I think the limit is actually 25gb, which is still quite a lot.
You can't use tethering either.
So, how do they get away with calling it "Feel at Home', when it should be "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...."
Still loads cheaper than other providers though, as long as you are in a "Feels like you are at home, but not really because we are restricting just how you use your phone...." country
Allan
I think your expectations are a bit unreasonable. It is a fantastic new addition but then you cant please all the people all the time.(n)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
This is what I just found on Three's website

"What we mean by 'allowance' & all-you-can-eat allowances.
Most of our plans include a set of allowances, made up of a number of ‘units’. Each unit entitles you to a voice minute, a text or a megabyte (MB) of data. To see what your monthly allowance is for minutes, texts and data, simply check which plan you’re on in My3.

If you have all-you-can-eat allowances, you can use a portion of these in Feel At Home destinations:

• If you have all-you-can-eat data you can use up to 25GB.
  • If you have all-you-can-eat texts you can use up to 5000 texts.
  • If you have 3000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3000 minutes.
Since Feel At Home is designed for UK residents on holiday or business trips abroad, if you exceed the above allowances abroad in any two months within a 12 month period, it may affect your roaming services and prevent you from using international roaming in the future.

When you’re abroad, you can’t call numbers that begin with 070, 09 or 118 directory services. You can however call 08 numbers but this will come out of your allowance. If you don’t have an allowance, calls to 08 numbers will cost up to 18.8p per minute."

So it looks like 25GB for a month and only if you exceed that in any two months in a year you might have problems although I doubt you would exceed these limits. 25 gb a month is a lot.

I would be interested in your experiences with Three as a mobile provider. There are mixed reports.

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi we used our 3 phones throughout July whilst in France. 1 contract all singing all dancing the other PAYG called France phones same cost as in the UK n phoning.

3 to 3 both in the UK and France .used maps and tethered to netbook no problems at all and no extra charge all out of allowed plan .even though it states no tethering.

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I am currently on 3 and thinking of changing when my contract comes up for renewal. It seems that wherever I camp the signal is poor and often only emergency calls can be made. Malvern, Sandringham, Clumber and the Windermere C&CC site all give me problems. I now cart round an old PAYG phone on the vodaphone network and this appears to get a better service. Having said all that I have been delighted with the service from the local shop and I get good broadband service at home with 3.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Ditto

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think your expectations are a bit unreasonable. It is a fantastic new addition but then you cant please all the people all the time.(n)
I agree, it is a fantastic service, just not quite as good as they advertise, but our last trip to France was a lot cheaper than previously, with free calls, texts and data.
Allan

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is what I just found on Three's website

"What we mean by 'allowance' & all-you-can-eat allowances.
Most of our plans include a set of allowances, made up of a number of ‘units’. Each unit entitles you to a voice minute, a text or a megabyte (MB) of data. To see what your monthly allowance is for minutes, texts and data, simply check which plan you’re on in My3.

If you have all-you-can-eat allowances, you can use a portion of these in Feel At Home destinations:
  • If you have all-you-can-eat data you can use up to 25GB.
  • If you have all-you-can-eat texts you can use up to 5000 texts.
  • If you have 3000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3000 minutes.
Since Feel At Home is designed for UK residents on holiday or business trips abroad, if you exceed the above allowances abroad in any two months within a 12 month period, it may affect your roaming services and prevent you from using international roaming in the future.
When you’re abroad, you can’t call numbers that begin with 070, 09 or 118 directory services. You can however call 08 numbers but this will come out of your allowance. If you don’t have an allowance, calls to 08 numbers will cost up to 18.8p per minute."

So it looks like 25GB for a month and only if you exceed that in any two months in a year you might have problems although I doubt you would exceed these limits. 25 gb a month is a lot.
I would be interested in your experiences with Three as a mobile provider. There are mixed reports.
Being a regular visitor to Suffolk I can say that my Three phone is excellent in most areas of the UK but alas the Suffolk and Norfolk coast is not one of them. I can just about get a line in some places but Aldeburg is zero signal like most other areas on that coast.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
All worked fine for me in France but I could not tether tried
iPad
Tablet
Laptop
I could get a signal but it would not work similar to Sky to Apple TV it's there but won't work.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
With our PAYG sim in the Ipad we used the Ipad as a hotspot so we could get online with the phones and worked with no issues. I don't know how they can tell your tethering.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We got a £15 PAYG 30 day bolt on for our PAYG sim and got all we could use data - we ended up using approx. 2GB over 2 weeks with web surfing and google maps in France. Coverage was good but didn't find any 4G signals as I had hoped.

We also bought a Toggle mobile sim for cheap calls within France & Spain - it worked very well.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dangerous I know but just had another thought. Would a way of getting around the cost of France to France or US to US calls be to use your data to skype in country numbers. Doing this shouldn't incur any additional cost. What do you think?(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With our PAYG sim in the Ipad we used the Ipad as a hotspot so we could get online with the phones and worked with no issues. I don't know how they can tell your tethering.

Dangerous I know but just had another thought. Would a way of getting around the cost of France to France or US to US calls be to use your data to skype in country numbers. Doing this shouldn't incur any additional cost. What do you think?(y)
Our experience of it , is that you can Skype or anything else , maps , download stuff, as long as you are on the device that the sim is in , we couldn't get ours to tether whatever we tried, some one else on here said they could as well as lorger, but we had no luck, I only wanted to do the same things on my ipad as I was doing on my phone but with a bigger screen but no luck , the internet just stops doing anything till you go off and come back if you try to tether it

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Three has also instigated a 2 gig limit now when tethered for all new all you can eat plans, virtually scrapping the one plan
Im on the one plan and can only stay on it if I DONT upgrade or alter plan, effectively paying for a new phone I cant have

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thought of another question(y) While abroad using "Feel at home" does it matter which signal provider you are linked on to.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought of another question(y) While abroad using "Feel at home" does it matter which signal provider you are linked on to.
Not in my experience, you never notice what you are connected to, it just works

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But I must add as I have said that many times it's getting boreing, switch off roaming if you get near to Belgium or any country that is not included in the feel at home thingy, as if it connects to the over the border provider, they will immediately take a fiver out of your account, you won't notice till it's too late as the phone keeps working but changes provider on its own if it is set to roaming

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
It might not be quite as good as advertised but it's still pretty good. H has 3, I have O2, it would cost me £2 each day for a similar service. It's a saving of several bottles of wine when were in France.
So far we've had no real problems with poor connections.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But I must add as I have said that many times it's getting boreing, switch off roaming if you get near to Belgium or any country that is not included in the feel at home thingy, as if it connects to the over the border provider, they will immediately take a fiver out of your account, you won't notice till it's too late as the phone keeps working but changes provider on its own if it is set to roaming
Good advice, thanks chaser.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back