Were Jim and grommet wrong? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Getting used to it but don't like the small emocions and the small top tool bar.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I keep having the same problem. I know how good Dave is so don'ttneed the advert each time I try to touch 'Alerts'

Wyn

if I had one criticism Jim it's where the "alerts" button is. Just above it is an advert ( Dave Newell today) and I find that on a tablet with big fingers I am opening the ad rather than pressing the alert button.

That is probably a tablet thing though

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I find the smallness of everything is the main drawback. It usually requires 4 or 5 tries to acurately select what I want.

Wyn

Getting used to it but don't like the small emocions and the small top tool bar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Jim, while you're at it and talking extra buttons, big buttons, little buttons, fat fingers, tiny fingers and iPads etc, can we have a few more buttons added please.

A button that'll put the coffee pot on in the morning would be nice.
Another that manages to get SWMBO out of bed in the morning, with her hair not looking like the medusa.
One to flush the loo.
Another to dump my grey.
Don't suppose you'll manage one for the black waste, just in case.
I have a few more ideas, but I'll let you work on those first please Jim, then I can talk about the ones for bacon butties, dimming the lights and stocking the fridge when required :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
No one likes change, and I could have certainly done without the work, but I'm pleased with the way it's panning out and becoming very usable on all platforms :)
We know, BreweryDave is still in the same shorts he had on months ago and has anyone ever seen Tootles put on clean pants :rofl::angel:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I liked the old site and I now like the new one :DStill getting used to the newby -as to the thanks button I simply use the like one instead -I am even getting used to the new smile's although I have to hover to see what they mean :D::bigsmile: Recent post's is easy so now it's not so bad :wink:
terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm still getting used to the new format - think it's ok, just different. I don't bother with a lot of the 'fancy features' because I like to keep things simple. ::bigsmile:

The 'hovering' and things popping up drives me nuts tho' .........

And I don't like the new smilies at all. (n)

Can I put in a request for the old 'wub' smiley to be included in the 'old forum smilies' section. I think I was probably the only person to use it but it frequently expressed my opinion better than anything. :wink:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I access via my iphone most of the time and that isn't there. Only contact us, help, rules. :(

No help to you maybe but for those on a laptop or dare I say it a desktop, the HOME button gets you to the top of the screen. Oh, and I like the new setup.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Every day I find something new on the new forum, I find this system much clearer the photos (media) really easy thanks to the downsizing app (image size) that was recommended, just found out about the black bit at the top of my I pad. :rolleyes:

Even getting used to the new smileys, the amount of time Jim has invested in this to enable the forum to keep up with its growth is amazing, so from me it's a thank you to Jim & Gromet, and all the funsters who help when a pointer in the right direction is required (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On the old site I used to get 2 or 3 adverts on the right hand side. Johns Cross, Jims store, etc. These have now gone, and I actually found them useful as a shortcut.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Like everyone I'm getting used to it, don't know what this black bit on the Ipad is though. Also does anyone know what support tickets means in your profile box at the top right of the page, mine says 0 just wondered what it meant.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to ask whats the difference between the recent and new posts as a lot are duplicated.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
'New' posts are new to you i.e. not yet seen by yourself as opposed to recent posts. Support tickets are where you have raised an issue and are sent info from the 'Support Team' i.e. Jim

Wyn

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd like a really good RSS feed. An example of one I use is:

Broken Link Removed

This puts every new post into Outlook whereas the Fun version simply repeats the first post whenever a new one is added to a thread.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd like a really good RSS feed. An example of one I use is:

Broken Link Removed

This puts every new post into Outlook whereas the Fun version simply repeats the first post whenever a new one is added to a thread.

Hi Tony, we are aware that this could be more functional and I'm hoping to get it sorted soon. (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:eek:
Take a look here >> Click
rely thought I was getting to under stand this new site till I read this :confused:
only kidding it's ok actually :thumb old forum smelly suppose I will have to get used to this on(y)

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 1

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have no complaints so that speaks volumes.
One improvement for me IMHO would be a longer editing post period of 60 minutes. I'm always keen to post and don't have time to draft a perfect contribution every time and often want to add something or alter a cock up

edit lol or at least permit editing whilst no reply has been made

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Many, many years ago as a young developer, we made a bit of a killing from a rather large chemicals company.

4 of us as contractors wrote a huge system for them taking about 6 months. We were to a tight deadline so performance was a secondary importance.

Anyway once installed the camper company was chuffed to bits with the software but needed performance improvements.

We agreed a price and 3 months time frame.

We all went on 3 months holidays and took out a few sleep statements when we got back.

10 minutes work.

company was chuffed to bits.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
One improvement for me IMHO would be a longer editing post period of 60 minutes. I'm always keen to post and don't have time to draft a perfect contribution every time and often want to add something or alter a cock up

me to I go back and spot my bad selling when my dyslexic moment go's and bugger me it there for ever 60 min even a condemned man get's longer

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
still struggling with new layout. Not keen really, but I still sign in everyday and enjoy an hour or so excellent company:)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Quite like it now.
Could do with a button to get straight back to the top of a page of posts instead of having to scroll back up.
Good work chaps!

If on a laptop just hit the home key, takes you straight to the top

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Firstly, we must remember that a change of software wasn't something that Jim had any choice about. The old forum software wasn't being developed & was becoming very vulnerable to attack by those with nothing better to do than cause problems for others. Who knows why they bother, but that's another story.

So whether we like it or not & whether Jim liked it or not, the old forum had to go. The only choice was what to replace it with. I'm just really glad it wasn't me who had to evaluate all the possible options. Principally, the choice would have had to be made on technical & security grounds, none of which we see (unless it goes wrong).

Aesthetics is always a matter of personal choice, but there is no doubt that the new software works much better than the old. It's also important to remember that we are not yet looking at the final version of the site. You have only to think back over the modifications that have been introduced over the last few weeks to realise the flexibility afforded by the new system, but all those options have to be worked on & the fine tuning has to be done. That is a very time consuming job, especially when done on an operational system.

Even if it was possible, there is no way I would want to go back to the old forum. This one just works so much better. Ok, it's different, which takes a bit of getting used to, just like anything new. There will always be some things from the old system we miss and we haven't had time yet to discover or appreciate all the new features of the new. But as every day passes, I discover more & I like it more & more.

Throughout it all, we have to remember that what's important here are the people, not the software. (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Old system , when using the mobiles was hit and miss .freezing up slower and other problems.
This version much more user friendly for reading the mail .finding new things daily .
Cheers guys works for me. :happy: (y)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Jim our esteemed leader wrong - Never! who could think such a thing, a visionary looking after our best interests.

The new format is much better especially when using phone and tablet to my mind.

I know change is difficult but we should embrace progress and Jim should turn off the link to the old style site to force all down the right path.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

It's been set at hour for a while now. (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Like everyone I'm getting used to it, don't know what this black bit on the Ipad is though. Also does anyone know what support tickets means in your profile box at the top right of the page, mine says 0 just wondered what it meant.
If you have a problem with the site, you can open a support ticket to get help. (y)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If MotorhomeFun had started off with this new format then everyone would have accepted it. People don't like change. We feel sure that the decision to alter it was not taken lightly. We greatly appreciate the many hours that Jim & Grommet spent. It must have caused many headaches trying to sort it all out.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is this thread still going? The Forum has moved into the 21st Century. Good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back