How to get the best cup of coffee (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have got a Nescafé Dolce Gusto machine which uses little pods.

It's excellent and there is an ever expanding choice of coffee on the market.

The unit costs about £50 on Amazon.

We have been using it for about 5 years.

It's. the only coffee machine that hasn't found it's way to a dark cupboard never to be used.

We have one in the van as well for when we are on hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Whatever happened to the Billy on the campfire?
I'm very impressed at the variety here. Good to see we are keeping up standards lol

Deleted User
Home or MH, whats barista? or come to that whats a Bialetti?

A Barista is a guy that makes coffee and sometimes makes pretty patterns with the frothy milk, apparently(thanks to google) a Bialetti is one of those many sided aluminium contraptions that you boil up on a hob.

My opinion is that there is only one way to make a proper 'espresso' with a crema and that is to use an espresso machine, that uses pressurised water that is not boiling, with freshly ground beans.

The beans do not always need to be expensive I usually use 1kilo bags from Lidl in Spain(excellent Arabica beans) or others if they are cheap enough.

As others have said it is the beans that are important and a good cup of coffee can be made with all of the methods mentioned, but not a proper espresso, I use a cafetiére or a filter when I have not got an espresso machine with me but always freshly ground beans.

I love my coffee but unfortunately caffeine is bad for blood pressure so I am limited to a max of two a day now.

Incidentally I have never suffered from the 'hyperactivity' that strong coffee seems to bring on in others, anybody else similarly not affected.

I have not had a cup of instant coffee for years, any resemblance to coffee is entirely coincidental :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love my coffee but unfortunately caffeine is bad for blood pressure so I am limited to a max of two a day now.

Incidentally I have never suffered from the 'hyperactivity' that strong coffee seems to bring on in others, anybody else similarly not affected.

Snipped.

Same here. I used to drink loads of black coffee in work - perhaps 15 cups a day.

I went to the Doc one day after work and my BP was off the scale. I got talking with the Doc and he put it down to the coffee so I packed in the caffeine there and then.

I go decaf these days.

If I am abroad and have to drink the proper stuff I get a bit jittery after 2 cups

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can anyone tell me the shelf life of unground beans if kept in airtight jars etc?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I got one of these in work for when posh customers come in.

Broken Link Removed

Really nice and easy to use and clean, pods available in Sainsburys.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having owned a 'bean to cup' espresso machine I don't believe you can get a consistent quality coffee as the beans gradually dry out in the grinding hopper. Whereas Nespresso pods are ground and sealed in foil pods for maximum freshness. Quality and flavour is always good and the foil pods mean there are no grinds to get rid of.
A good espresso accompanied by a shot of dark rum and a piece of chocolate is the perfect end to the day.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Espresso machines are great......but they require 240 volts and a LOT of money. We had a modest (£100) machine a few years ago and then we bought a 3 cup Bialetti............. within a few days we stopped using the Espresso machine!

The Bialetti makes a fantastic cup of coffee on a 'bangs per buck' basis and it is cheap, small and easy to keep clean. When at home we use whole beans and grind them with a blade grinder, in the van we use god quality ground beans.

It is all a matter of personal taste. I think if you enjoy a good cup of coffee you do need to buy quality coffee. I firmly believe you get what you pay for.....

Also we have found that the 3 cup Bialletti makes enough for two small glass mugs of coffee when mixed with milk at a 40% coffee to 60% coffee ratio.

I vote for the Bialetti (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Macdonalds.

John, old people shouldn't be allowed in Macdonalds.

My ex wife told me recently that she took her elderly Mum into the local Macdonalds and asked her what she wanted. The reply?

" Well Dear , as they are free I think I will try one of their Wifi's"

:LOL:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
John, old people shouldn't be allowed in Macdonalds.

My ex wife told me recently that she took her elderly Mum into the local Macdonalds and asked her what she wanted. The reply?

" Well Dear , as they are free I think I will try one of their Wifi's"

:LOL:

I went into a Mc D for the first time in about 16 years last week, it`s like a food factory , non stop production line.
The activity behind the counter was unbelievable:eek:.

Most confusing was how to order what-- " do you want a meal with that"!!?-- i felt 90 years old standing there with not a clue what they were on about:LOL:

I ended up with a processed burger with slimey stuff on it and little pack of chips:confused:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
At home I use a MiniMoka Captain Expres with built in coffee grinder but only grind the beans I am going to use and which I keep in the freezer as recommended by MiniMoka.

Otherwise use a Bialletti and ground coffee which I keep in the fridge! (y)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I went into a Mc D for the first time in about 16 years last week, it`s like a food factory , non stop production line.
The activity behind the counter was unbelievable:eek:.

Most confusing was how to order what-- " do you want a meal with that"!!?-- i felt 90 years old standing there with not a clue what they were on about:LOL:

I ended up with a processed burger with slimey stuff on it and little pack of chips:confused:

Lucky you. You went into Mickeys for the first time and managed to get the best they have to offer.

As for coffee, many, many years ago I acquired a brand new Wifeinkitchen Express. I still have it. Extremely expensive to maintain but produces an excellent cup just the way I like it with minimum fuss and no cleaning required. On the road I use a similar product, the Wifeinvan. It's a little noisier but produces just as good results. I don't think they sell them on Amazon.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nescafe or at least Tesco/Aldi/Lidl/Asda cheapo value instant coffee easily tastes just as good and lasts for simply months stored in its little jar in the van. Well everything tastes like pondweed to a duck........... ;)

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Well thank you all. Some good stuff in there. I now know what a Bialletti is and I've been using one for years this must make me nearly a Barista!

Sainsbury,s have a Tassimo T40 for half price so I might give that a go. We went for a meal in a restaraunt last week and they served Tassimo Americano which tasted good so I will give that a try for the special treat and carry on with the Bialletti for work a day stuff.
Thanks all for the advice..

JohnT

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Well thank you all. Some good stuff in there. I now know what a Bialletti is and I've been using one for years this must make me nearly a Barista!

Sainsbury,s have a Tassimo T40 for half price so I might give that a go. We went for a meal in a restaraunt last week and they served Tassimo Americano which tasted good so I will give that a try for the special treat and carry on with the Bialletti for work a day stuff.
Thanks all for the advice..

JohnT
Ok must start a new thread (ask me how I know)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The only one for me...

20140801_204218_zpsbcb59c63.jpg