JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
One of our friends has just bought a Hyundai 120i to tow behind his Bessacarr E760.
Can someone please advise on the type of A Frame he needs and where he can purchase one cheapest and nearest to Chesterfield
Thanks

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well.. He can buy one from smart tow, towcarsfortowcars (or something like that), unibrake, Armitage Trailers, and some others..
They all provide UK legal A Frames..
Some also provide an electronic braking solution that may be future proof.
Cost.. With overun type brakes @£1200 cost with electronic braking @1800+ .. There are plenty of threads on here and opinion on what's best or most cost effective

Reactions: JaG

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
But whatever he does he shouldn't be tempted to buy one of the cheap universal unbraked a frames that are still on the market despite been illegal.

As above he's looking at around £1200 minimum for a proper legal kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks SDC77 & Tambo. I shall pass it on. he said he had had a quote for around £800 so I am guessing they are the illegal types.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You say UK legal does this also apply the other EU countries. Never had one so I have no idea.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
No no no Buttons don't take us down that route again :madder:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I got mine from Armitage trailers as I needed a jockey wheel on the frame in order to be able to hitch up when on my own - with the aid of my vans reversing camera! It is a heavy bit of kit and is too large for my boot (Picanto) but fits on the back seat, and when on site I padlock it to something, usually the tow hitch. Can recommend Armitage.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You say UK legal does this also apply the other EU countries. Never had one so I have no idea.

To be UK legal it has to be at the very least over run braked (unless your car is less than 750kg.... Inc A Frame )

Again there is a lot to read on this but... Briefly there are issues in Spain with A Frames..
There have been the odd issues in Germany apparently...
France is fine it seems
If your worried.. A trailer is fine everywhere

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I have a frame from armitage ferrybridge so not that far from Chesterfield they also give you loan car whilst they do the work take a full day to install but Freeport castle ford not far away heavy but good piece of kit:)(y);)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Just for comparison, I have just bought a second hand, in immaculate condition , Brian James Micro Max car trailer for £950 complete with pull out ramps and straps. Ok you need space to store it and it may take a bit longer to connect up but if you change your mind about towing it would be easier to sell. If you have an a frame with electronic braking you would have to take all the stuff off the car before selling or have to sell the car and towing kit complete. Our trailer weighs 300 kg and will carry 1000kg . We have a VW UP which is 950 kg. Our van is 3 litre 7.6 metre long Autocruise. Towing limit is 2000 kg but you also have to watch the axle load at the rear.
Just another option to suggest.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I have printed it all out and he is mind boggled as he is not computer literate and did not realise there is so much involved.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use an Aframe. We have considered a trailer but have decided against it because we have no where to store it at home so would have to pay storage charges for it. Also it takes up more room on a site.
If we eventually have to give up on an A frame for any reason then I would rather pay to store a caravan rather than a trailer and use that in the UK.
We usually only tow a car in the UK as parking for motorhomes is poor, and really it's all geared up for trailer caravans.
We are shortly going to France etc for six weeks and are taking a toad for the first time, to see if it's usefulness outweighs the extra costs of tunnel, fuel* (tolls if we ever use them) and more difficulty in using aires. I remain to be convinced, but will know better by October.

* The toad (Suzuki Alto) does around 70mpg but we will do a lot more mileage than we would in the motorhome as we will have to keep coming back to the MH. In addition towing a car will reduce the mpg of the motorhome by about 8-10% which is significant over a couple of thousand miles.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
My friend has contacted Armitage and is having it fitted in the near future.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I couldn't be bothered with the trailer carry on if I'm honest must cost a fortune on campsites and would seriously restrict wild camping possibilities .......that said I found my toad didn't really work for me either as if I hadn't been towing it I could get the van to all the places I used the car for in the first place .....im glad I bought a cheap one to try it out first rather than spend thousands

But it's horses for courses as they say

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Further to my comments about us using a trailer instead of an A frame.
As we have just bought our Toad brand new we did not want to have it modified as we were not sure that towing a car would work. So we have bought a trailer and on Monday we will tow with it and the car on the back for the first time. We live in the Lakes so are only going a short distance to a site in the Northern Lakes for a test run. We thought that if we do not find it a big advantage we could more easily sell the trailer as they are always in demand, whereas taking an A bar and its associated braking equipment off the car might leave holes in the car bumper and may be more difficult to sell unless fitted to a car. We do not want to sell the VW as it was not bought just for towing.
Complex decision I know for anyone and horses for courses as ever.

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Hi from Leeds LS16.,
We are in the process of selling our Motorhome [Age related Health problems] and therefore we have an ARMITAGE A frame with Jockey wheel & little 'Roller wheels. I have the Bar & Lugs...all you need is to have the Lugs,Wiring & Braking cable fitted to your vehicle. They make a very sturdy unit & very professional . You may have the main bit for £200...its like new. They should not charge much for the Car fitments.
Its just cluttering up my garage. And so back to Caravanning ....Needs Must !!
Tel: 07932 781697 Hope this Funster can assist you ....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Further to my comments about us using a trailer instead of an A frame.
As we have just bought our Toad brand new we did not want to have it modified as we were not sure that towing a car would work. So we have bought a trailer and on Monday we will tow with it and the car on the back for the first time. We live in the Lakes so are only going a short distance to a site in the Northern Lakes for a test run. We thought that if we do not find it a big advantage we could more easily sell the trailer as they are always in demand, whereas taking an A bar and its associated braking equipment off the car might leave holes in the car bumper and may be more difficult to sell unless fitted to a car. We do not want to sell the VW as it was not bought just for towing.
Complex decision I know for anyone and horses for courses as ever.

Our toad is also brand new. The caratow bracket bit which fits to the car is custom made for each model of car, and on the Suzuki involves removing a box section cross-member (six bolts) and replacing it with the caratow bracket which is much more substantial steel bar and uses the same bolts. the bits that stick out go through existing slots in the grille. I have the original cross member hanging up in the garage so if needed the caratow bar can be removed eassily and the cross member replaced.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Hi from Leeds LS16.,
We are in the process of selling our Motorhome [Age related Health problems] and therefore we have an ARMITAGE A frame with Jockey wheel & little 'Roller wheels. I have the Bar & Lugs...all you need is to have the Lugs,Wiring & Braking cable fitted to your vehicle. They make a very sturdy unit & very professional . You may have the main bit for £200...its like new. They should not charge much for the Car fitments.
Thanks for the offer but he has been sorted now with a local company.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Hi from Leeds LS16.,
Thanks for the offer but he has been sorted now with a local company.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
My friend has got himself sorted with the A Frame. he has found a local firm - Towing A Frames
http://towingaframes.co.uk/
Who are just five miles away, making the A Frame in stainless steel which weighs substantially less than Armitage's and costs £50 less as well at £849.
The company is only just off M1 Junction 29.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
My friend has got himself sorted with the A Frame. he has found a local firm - Towing A Frames
http://towingaframes.co.uk/
Who are just five miles away, making the A Frame in stainless steel which weighs substantially less than Armitage's and costs £50 less as well at £849.
The company is only just off M1 Junction 29.
we are having one fitted at Armitages next wednesday at cost of £849...thats if i get the toad back in time,,,,in dock having new brake cylinders and brake shoes fitted,,,,and other bits too,,,,£400 worth of work,,but should be right for the scotland trip then.....

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
One of our friends has just bought a Hyundai 120i to tow behind his Bessacarr E760.
Can someone please advise on the type of A Frame he needs and where he can purchase one cheapest and nearest to Chesterfield
Thanks

Had ours fitted here, TowingAframes Ltd , Holmwood Industrial Estate
Holmwood, Chesterfield S42 5UR Tel 01246824362, Great product, great service, ask for Roy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But whatever he does he shouldn't be tempted to buy one of the cheap universal unbraked a frames that are still on the market despite been illegal.

As above he's looking at around £1200 minimum for a proper legal kit.
I'm not sure that any of them could deemed legal lol

I use a Car A Tow "A" frame occasionally towing a Dihatsui Terios, the car tows great and the A fame is easy to use. We are towing the car to Spain later this year and will have to disconnect it and drive it from the border the 30 odd miles to the campsite. Spain has made the decision that the use of an A frame is illegal.

Unlike the UK where no decision has been made, and there are various interpretations of the current legislation

Hence my comment about whether any of them are 100% legal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back