MOTORHOME owners have returned to a Lincolnshire car park which had its height restri (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The point is that research/action will only happen if councils are made aware of a potential demand. A number of councils I've spoken to simply hadn't heard of any such demand. If each of us could identify some potential site and make an outline case for it then we might see progress.

It will take research to identify a demand.
It seems the fact they are having to contain a demand in front of their noses by erecting height barriers , that little research is actually needed.
It seems that a parochial tunnel vision is the problem.

Bearing in mind the success of the Aires and Stellplatz in Europe whilst still allowing commercial and municipal sites to operate , it should not take a council wizard to identify the potential.
Perhaps though other interests are involved.

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It seems the fact they are having to contain a demand in front of their noses by erecting height barriers , that little research is actually needed.

Bearing in mind the success of the Aires and Stellplatz in Europe whilst still allowing commercial and municipal sites to operate , it should not take a council wizard to identify the potential.
Perhaps though other interests are involved

Good point, and in the very recent past the ability to overnight at Dawlish Warren was stopped as a direct result of pressure on the council from large local 'campsites' which have no touring pitches. You couldn't make it up!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes every where there are people parking motorhomes there are accusations of toilet dumping,we all have mobile phones with camaras nowadays but I don't know of anyone who has ever caught anybody in the act with a photo
Alan
Well I never will because my phone does not have a camera!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Perhaps though other interests are involved.
All too often the "demand" identified, and acted upon, by councils is for free (in many cases long term) camping in lay byes, car parks and anywhere else available, not for aires which could only be used for a couple of nights at a time and for which a charge would apply.

In any case, even if "tunnel vision" is involved, is that any reason for those motorhomers who want aires (i.e. people who have identified a potential) not to make the first move?

It is usually the case that if something is left for somebody else to do then it doesn't get done (for any number of reasons). So, what is stopping those who want aires? There are some ideas for how to start making a case Here and Here. I don't expect many to actually take up the challenge but it will be interesting to see the results from those who do.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
GHJ, maybe the people that should be fighting our corner are the Motorhome press, the big magaines, the Practical Motorhomes and the MMM's of this world.
If we then can agree a national set of rules then all MH owners can abide by the etiquette.
Abuse could then be reported by MH owners and self police the areas.
With social media and Clubs and Forums the persistant abusers could be weeded out
Name and Shame is only one lever.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GHJ, maybe the people that should be fighting our corner are the Motorhome press, the big magaines, the Practical Motorhomes and the MMM's of this world.
If we then can agree a national set of rules then all MH owners can abide by the etiquette.
Abuse could then be reported by MH owners and self police the areas.
With social media and Clubs and Forums the persistant abusers could be weeded out
Name and Shame is only one lever.
Nice idea but impractical I'm afraid.
The magazines are there to make money not to campaign. They aren't interested in spending money on such matters (for instance I recently received a request from one to supply a database of motorhome parking locations to save them work - i.e. expense). They don't go out and gather data or contact organisations themselves, they rely on readers to do it for them but only a few readers out of the thousands of possibles do that.
In the 8 years that I have run my web site about 475 people have made contributions out of the hundreds of thousands who have used the site.
There have been one or two attempts to set up some sort of representative organisation but they have attracted only a few members and have achieved little.
That's why I don't expect many to actually take up the challenge of contacting councils but can't see any other practical way of making significant progress.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Admirable notion but with magazines dependent on advertising and the government only really taking the C&CC and CC and the National Caravan Council into consideration we are somewhat isolated because all three of those bodies are Caravan orientated and the 'Red Fire Bucket Brigade' seem to rule their thoughts. Thank goodness when we travel to the continent touring caravans have become a rarity, except for the poor Nederlanders who have extra tax to find to purchase motorhomes. It does lead to a very much better travelling experience and the provision of a Sani-Station at suitable stopover places solves the problems of toilet and waste water disposal.
On the subject of toilet waste dumping on most of the UK lay byes we stop at for a cuppa and leg stretch it is apparent from the soiled toilet tissues plainly on view, that Car/Van/lorry drivers use these places as toilets. I am sure the same will be true of seaside car parks where no public toilets are located.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Perhaps we should direct councils to canterbury council whose park and ride aire is a fantastic success. always well attended and no rubbish thrown around. and only 3 pounds a night.(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps we should direct councils to canterbury council whose park and ride aire is a fantastic success. always well attended and no rubbish thrown around. and only 3 pounds a night.(y)
Yes. I have used that example but bear in mind that it is a special location.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We are on an Aire at Le Touquet at present, enough for 50 Motorhomes enhanced by its beach/village location.
At 13€ a night better than the 25+ € it would cost on a site.
Where have we done our shopping and where have we eaten, in Le Touquet.
Perhaps a bit of real research and positive action (not defensive)by local councils providing similar facilities in the UK might benefit all in the future.
This would perhaps spread the rewards from motorhome shoppers around a locality and not just in the pockets of commercial and club sites .

There are in fact hundreds if not thousands of sites scattered all over the country, that take motorhomes for a nominal fee of ÂŁ10 to ÂŁ12 a day.

They are called CL/CS sites and many take non members.

:cooler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes. I have used that example but bear in mind that it is a special location.

Park and Rides make ideal locations.. almost 'ready made.' aires.. with access for large vehicles and suitable roads.. the one near us also has toilets and I dare say fresh water .. installing a dump station would be relatively cheap as the sewage drains are already in place,.. but sadly has a height barrier to deter illegal camping by the travelers.
How has Canterbury manged this problem.. ?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Park and Rides make ideal locations.. almost 'ready made.' aires.. with access for large vehicles and suitable roads.. the one near us also has toilets and I dare say fresh water .. installing a dump station would be relatively cheap as the sewage drains are already in place,.. but sadly has a height barrier to deter illegal camping by the travelers.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Perhaps we are over sensitive but I cannot get my head around overnighting where you are not welcome, it is not as if there is a shortage of nice spots to stay where we are welcome----not free I admit

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
That's not what Mr Paul Marriott, a businessman from Spalding said,
he said we are not just tinkers, vagabonds – we are genuine people.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

NO mention of tinkers or vagabonds, this is about folk who don't want to pay but want the facility for a free holiday at the expense of others.

Pay on entry is the trick, but here we are dealing with people who don't want to pay.
Freeloaders, in other words.
Canterbury's customers are generally transient, en route to / from Dover, so overstaying (or "taking the piss") isn't a problem.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As John said, pay on entry. Plus Canterbury has its location advantage.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Going back to the OP's post, we went by car to Chapel St Leonards today - just a few miles further down the coast from Huttoft Bank. We parked in Trunch Lane which leads to the beach. At the end of Trunch Lane there are public toilets which are usually used by people holidaymaking on the beach. Not today. Everyone was complaining. The toilets are closed and there are notices to say that the reason they are closed is because of 'water theft, toilet roll theft and general vandalism'. A few yards from the toilets is a small area of land - I believe it was previously the car park to a restaurant that is now closed. Parked there are several elderly motorhomes. Coincidence?

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Good job the gipsys were not within 100 miles we could have blamed them, after all they do have a reputation to live up to don't they?

bilimanjaro

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
grimsby
Funster No
MH
autusleeper
Exp
ten years
back of pleasure island Cleethorpes will be the next trouble spot..certain people are taking the pxss..one maybe two nights and then move on..
but no,they'll spoil it for all....

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Cant believe all this fuss, who wants to stay in the Skegness area...BUSBY...:rolleyes:
Just spent a week in Skeggie playing in the EBF bowls finals . We stayed in our van at North Shore touring park and cycled to the bowls greens every morning via the large car park at the end of the funfair . For the first 4/5 days there were approx. 25 motorhomes obviously parked up and the place was a tip with rubbish blowing everywhere and youngsters from the vans running everywhere . I was told they were there for a wedding and most were Irish . On Wednesday the car park was empty and the council had a gang of men and 2 large lorries clearing up the mess plus metal barriers had been installed and security guards at the entrance, now who pays for this ? . It did end up affecting me as on the Saturday we usually check out of the site and park in the motorhome area of this carpark for a fee to watch the finals , we were refused entry and when asking the guard where we could park he replied " not in Skegness".
So as a motorhomer who chooses to go on sites and pay my way i have been classed as a pikie/freeloader by association.
Plus i also saw where the tanks had been emptied -disgusting
I realise that i might not have all the facts only what i saw with my own eyes

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
East Lindsey Council have created a special page Broken Link Removed on their web site to explain why motorhome parking is now restricted within Skegness.

Another example of the adverse effect that "traveller" legislation has on the population as a whole and the councils which have the thankless task of administering it. Indeed, in this case, there is little ELDC can do because "traveller" legislation is actually dealt with by the county council so ELDC is basically in the same position as any private landowner who has to go through the rigmarole of applying for a court order.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Of course if local councils took the issue seriously and provided some hard standing not necessarily free, there may not be quite so many motorhomes visiting France, Germany and Spain.
We would certainly enjoy our own country more, the prices many UK sites want is just off putting in the extreme so we spend our money where we get best value.

But they cannot do anything about the weather...BUSBY:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Charging ÂŁx for 2 nights, what's that all about, if the council charge to raise income what's the point in restricting the number of nights, that just reduces income so seems a self defeating argument.
ing
If they did not have a time limit no one else would get the chance to use the facilities..camping sites are for long term stays...Works well in France and Germany...BUSBY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Good job the gipsys were not within 100 miles we could have blamed them, after all they do have a reputation to live up to don't they?

You mean TRAVELLERS i think....(where do they get that name from) BUSBY:):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back