Tazthedog

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Chilterns and Limousin
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
As we will be retiring in France, we want to buy a motorhome in France to save all the hassle of re-registering a UK vehicle.

Does anyone have any experience of buying a used MH in France that they can share?

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I have. Basically its just like buying a car, you'll need an address, the prices are not that much different to the UK, Its LHD, and a lot less cost and hassle than registering a vehicle from any other EU country, they are very protectionist the French!!:cautious:

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, but it wasn't great.
Bought from large dealership.
Paper missing at prefecture when I went to register it, went to English owned garage for assistance.
Paperwork looked sus, took vehicle down to garage. They suspect it is older vehicle on newer plates. Should never had passed a CT. Dealer acted illegally in way paperwork was done ( arrestable offence I was informed)
Gendarmes became involved, I returned vehicle, given cheque as full refund, and a fair amount of verbal abuse, fielded by friend who speaks fluent French.

But I was unlucky / possibly bit naive. Registering a French motorhome in your name is simple. If you buy from an honest, reputable garage they'll do it for you.
Seller has to provide you with C.T ( if needed) which has been carried out in the last 6 months-- it must have minimum of 18 months to run on day you register it.
You take this along with sale docs ( all provided by seller) a household bill, proof of insurance and your passport. Prefecture checks all, you pay a fee that depends on cc of vehicle ( probably €250 + for motorhome) they issue new carte Gris there and then.

Just be careful buying the vehicle and if possible get someone to check you are given all the right paperwork. I was just unlucky, and it was all ok in the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jamdan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
citreon challenger
Exp
We have just last month bought our Citreon Challenger from a dealer here in France, we live here permanantly, and no bother whatsoever. He did all the paperwork for us. Although we are confused about the payload so after reading on here and taking onboard your advice we are off to get it weighed tomorrow. The dealer was smashing, got good warrantys.

He let us take it out for a test drive and hubby checked all over for damp with his damp meter thingy, he even crawled underneath to have a look at whatever men look at under vehicles so finger crossed all is well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back