MOTORHOME owners have returned to a Lincolnshire car park which had its height restri (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
If only Councils in the rest of the UK could realise that their only role in life is to serve the people who vote for them

Allan

I can't think that Motorhomers would have any sort of influential voice when it comes to voting for councillors and frankly I can't see why we should be so privileged as to have any special concessions over caravanners or tenters. I am grateful for anything provided and disappointed if there is active discrimination against us through height barriers but that is all it can be. We can only point to the enlightened continent and hope for better.

On our side if it is the actions of a few branding us all with a poor reputation then we need to castigate the offenders at every opportunity.

I have just had four weeks in Europe, mostly Germany although we also visited Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Switzerland and Europe seems to be a much better place than home in terms of the politeness, cleanliness, helpfulness and goodwill towards fellow citizens than here at home. There were no drunken, foul mouthed youths threatening anyone and I didn't see anyone dropping any litter or suchlike. Road manners and discipline were excellent and generally behaviour was beyond reproach especially considering the Word Cup was on. Apart from family ties and the fact that I can only speak French or English I'd be gone!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Charging £x for 2 nights, what's that all about, if the council charge to raise income what's the point in restricting the number of nights, that just reduces income so seems a self defeating argument.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Why? what is the difference between motorhomes caravans tents and tailor tents. Shouldn't they all be welcome. They all need somewhere to stay.:thumb:

As has already been said by Freelander, there is plenty of parking available on the east coast, in the form of sites, Cls and Cs's.

If I want to visit the seaside and park my car during the day I should be able to, without being unable to do so because of the smell of grey waste dumped directly onto the park and without being unable to go onto the beach / dunes area because toilet waste is emptied there by freeloaders.

This isn't about freedom or so called wild camping, (nothing wild about Huttoft, the term is used mainly to indicate freeloader camping) it's about the people who pay the taxes for that area (Me amongst others) being able to see the car park (note the term....CAR PARK) used for its purpose, which is to provide parking for people who visit the area and spend money there.
Please don't tell me those taking the piss and parking for free spend money, that defeats the whole point of freeloading.

Wild camping and freeloading....two different concepts.

Charging and enforcing is bullshit.
It in turn has costs to the ratepayer.......Me.
If we must advocate a charge, make it £50 per night.
That way the rate payer doesn't have to pay for shit to be cleaned up, the "freedom seekers" can.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If I caught somebody dumping shit on a car park or in the dunes, I would make them pick it all up even if that meant they had to lick it all up. Bet they wouldn't do it again! :rofl:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Charging £x for 2 nights, what's that all about, if the council charge to raise income what's the point in restricting the number of nights, that just reduces income so seems a self defeating argument.

To give everyone a chance and to stop a few who would no doubt hog it otherwise. They do this abroad so why not?

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
getting a bit heated . dont see any problem parking on a "car park" but there are allways the few who missbehave a bit like car drivers slinging fast food crap out the window and any other rubish they leave behind. as for costs we all pay our way somewhere dont we .;);) STAN

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can't see the difference between long-stay motorhomers and travellers - other than I'd like to think that the former don't leave rubbish behind. To anyone not involved with motorhome or caravan use I'm certain there's no detectable difference. So why would we expect special treatment? Nowhere other than a dedicated site / CL /CS can offer the facilities essential to servicing a motorhome in any clean and sensible manner. I have wild camped and have used Aires - for one night at a time. I've always assumed that the purpose of Aires was to allow over-nighting as part of a journey and not as a holiday venue. I occasionally wild camp for the same reason - simply as an overnight stop during a journey. If a local authority chose to provide an overnight facility in a convenient-to-the-shops parking area I would again assume it was for a single overnight stop and I would expect to pay for it.

It is impossible to over-estimate the problems caused by travellers / gypsies. I live in an area plagued by them during the Appleby Horse Fair. As a group motorhome users need to distance their behaviour as far as possible from that of the 'travelling' community to avoid being identified as part of it by the rest of the population.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I live and pay council tax in Powys. Most town car parks here have a sign welcoming motorhomers to stay overnight for one night in seven. In Brecon there are two such car parks. This is as a result of one council official seeing the benefits of the 'aires' system in France whilst on an exchange visit. So far the system has worked and there has been no abuse and local businesses fully support the initiative. If my council can do it so can others. I sometimes get the impression that there are individuals within councils who are on constant look out for something to legislate about. That said criminal damage of any sort will set the advances we motorhomers have made in recent times back twenty five years!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is absolutely correct that if Powys can offer facilities then other councils can as well. However, what is not often appreciated is that many councils have never heard of the aires system nor or facilities offered by some UK councils. They only learn of them when somebody takes the trouble to tell them. It is also no good just making councils aware of other facilities and expecting them to use limited resources to set up projects without some evidence that there will be a payback. What is needed is to identify potentially underused car parks (which are also suitable for heavy vehicle usage) and make a realistic case as to how much business and revenue might be generated for both the council and local businesses.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can't see the difference between long-stay motorhomers and travellers - other than I'd like to think that the former don't leave rubbish behind.

I'd like to think that motorhomers would move on on request whilst travellers never seem to move without a court order. ;-)

I think motorhomers would also be less likely to use school playing fields, water company tanker filling facilities, in fact anywhere they can physically get their vans.

I do agree though that we need to be very careful that we never appear guilty of any of the sins committed by travellers. Non-campers may struggle to see any difference.

Perhaps we need window stickers with something like "We support responsible motorhoming. Happy to move on on request"? Okay, wording could be better but you get my drift.

Tim

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
East Lindsey council run very little of the seafront between Skeg and chapel st Leonard's now. The golf course owns there seafront and have it barriered off to pedestrians .and about 200 yards north of winthorpe ave it's in private ownership up to chapel.
Alan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 19

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It is absolutely correct that if Powys can offer facilities then other councils can as well. However, what is not often appreciated is that many councils have never heard of the aires system nor or facilities offered by some UK councils. They only learn of them when somebody takes the trouble to tell them. It is also no good just making councils aware of other facilities and expecting them to use limited resources to set up projects without some evidence that there will be a payback. What is needed is to identify potentially underused car parks (which are also suitable for heavy vehicle usage) and make a realistic case as to how much business and revenue might be generated for both the council and local businesses.

And nobody's done more to further the aim than you GJH and for that many thanks; however the problem I have found with many local and national government bodies is getting individuals to think outside the box. The 'traveller' problem is not found solely in UK, but having seen a company of CRS move a group of 'travellers' on near Nimes a couple of years back all we seem to lack in UK is the bottle! The problem is only out of hand here because there is ineffectual leadership at so many levels in our society! Bottle, a commodity sadly lacking at all levels of governance in our country.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have a feeling that the judiciary is the problem as its them that keep passing ridiculous sentences and there is no point taking a case to court if you know that the judge is going to go against you.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And nobody's done more to further the aim than you GJH and for that many thanks; however the problem I have found with many local and national government bodies is getting individuals to think outside the box. The 'traveller' problem is not found solely in UK, but having seen a company of CRS move a group of 'travellers' on near Nimes a couple of years back all we seem to lack in UK is the bottle! The problem is only out of hand here because there is ineffectual leadership at so many levels in our society! Bottle, a commodity sadly lacking at all levels of governance in our country.
I take the point you are making but comparing the actions of the CRS with that of authorities in this country has no value. The police and local authorities here are constrained by national legislation and have no option but to follow it - a far cry from lack of bottle. Also, any perceived traveller problem is only one factor. Far more significant factors are alternative demands and site suitability (mainly in terms if weight limits and manoeuvering space).

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I take the point you are making but comparing the actions of the CRS with that of authorities in this country has no value. The police and local authorities here are constrained by national legislation and have no option but to follow it - a far cry from lack of bottle. Also, any perceived traveller problem is only one factor. Far more significant factors are alternative demands and site suitability (mainly in terms if weight limits and manoeuvering space).

If you are saying that there are no laws in this country to deal with travellers then you are wrong, there are plenty. If you are suggesting that the forces of law and order in this country are bursting with bottle to take the easy option then you are right. The soft target has become the easy option, a very brief scan over other threads on this forum will support that belief.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, there are laws in this country to deal with travellers but they do not give our authorities the same powers which the CRS have.
There are also laws in this country which give some travellers rights which the rest of us do not have. Some travellers who do not enjoy those rights claim them in order to delay the legal process to a point at which it coincides with the time they want to move on anyway. A similar brief scan over previous threads will also show up that.
Look at the Gypsy & Traveller Strategy on the web site of any county or unitary authority and it is plain what hoops they are obliged to go through, like it or not.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
the problem as i see it is a very complicated one . typicaly british nimby attitude with to many vested interests trying to screw everyone down . wot happened to live and let live . :whistle::whistle:STAN

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
the problem as i see it is a very complicated one . typicaly british nimby attitude with to many vested interests trying to screw everyone down . wot happened to live and let live . :whistle::whistle:STAN
If you are referring to 'travellers' when you say live and let live you obviously have no experience of their 'alternative morality'!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, there are laws in this country to deal with travellers but they do not give our authorities the same powers which the CRS have.
There are also laws in this country which give some travellers rights which the rest of us do not have. Some travellers who do not enjoy those rights claim them in order to delay the legal process to a point at which it coincides with the time they want to move on anyway. A similar brief scan over previous threads will also show up that.
Look at the Gypsy & Traveller Strategy on the web site of any county or unitary authority and it is plain what hoops they are obliged to go through, like it or not.

I can't quibble with any of that GJH.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cant believe all this fuss, who wants to stay in the Skegness area...BUSBY...:rolleyes:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

It was thrown away on our behalf by the freeloading bums who think it's ok to monopolise a facility and empty shit where they want to.
Say what you want, THAT is the crux of this problem.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post:
This is NOT "wild camping".
Wilding surely involves camping "in the wild"?
What many mean by "Wilding" is "Not Paying".

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are on an Aire at Le Touquet at present, enough for 50 Motorhomes enhanced by its beach/village location.
At 13€ a night better than the 25+ € it would cost on a site.
Where have we done our shopping and where have we eaten, in Le Touquet.
Perhaps a bit of real research and positive action (not defensive)by local councils providing similar facilities in the UK might benefit all in the future.
This would perhaps spread the rewards from motorhome shoppers around a locality and not just in the pockets of commercial and club sites .

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It was thrown away on our behalf by the freeloading bums who think it's ok to monopolise a facility and empty shit where they want to.

In a nutshell. Well said.

Tim

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

That's not what Mr Paul Marriott, a businessman from Spalding said,
he said we are not just tinkers, vagabonds – we are genuine people.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I probably live closer to Hutoft than most on here,and the last time I visited (in a car)their was toilets on the site so why would people dump crap in the dunes if they were going there every weekend.Also the council have just taken two skips of sand from Hutoft to Lincoln for a sandpit for the kids for the summer hols ,would they do that if it was contaminated with human waste.
Reading about Hutoft on the internet I appears that none of the 40 people that had there names taken have received any summons.
Jacksons corner lay-by that we live close by (200yards) have motorhomes and caravans staying most weekends, and lots of people complaining about toilets being emptied down the bank but as far as I know no one has actually seen it happening. I walk by several times a day and I've never seen any one emptying a cassette
Alan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Perhaps a bit of real research and positive action (not defensive)by local councils providing similar facilities in the UK might benefit all in the future.
This would perhaps spread the rewards from motorhome shoppers around a locality and not just in the pockets of commercial and club sites .
The point is that research/action will only happen if councils are made aware of a potential demand. A number of councils I've spoken to simply hadn't heard of any such demand. If each of us could identify some potential site and make an outline case for it then we might see progress.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Thanks Alan that confirms most of our thoughts, so the next question is how many councillors have declared an interest when its debated in council.
Yes every where there are people parking motorhomes there are accusations of toilet dumping,we all have mobile phones with camaras nowadays but I don't know of anyone who has ever caught anybody in the act with a photo
Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back