I've finally bought one :-) .. general help needed (2 Viewers)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Caravan club CL at Carleton Hall Farm, Penrith. I have never stayed as it's just down the road, field not level but walking distance into Penrith where you can get train or bus to Keswick etc. the Lakes get very busy July & August so sometimes it's best to park near public transport and use that. Not sure of your age group but if lucky enough to have free bus pass then it makes sense it use it. Penrith also a nice town but I would say that as it's my home town. Supermarkets - Sainsburys (outside free parking for 3 hours not limited to using the store but limited space as it also has multi story) Booths, Aldi, and Morrisons parking for shoppers (Morrisons car park always busy) also Coop in town.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of the best things we got were walkie-talkies from Aldi. The driver leaves one handset switched on and on a handy shelf (or even the dash board if there is no shelf - use blu-tac to secure it temporarily) and the co-pilot can be outside the van and talk you through tricky maneuvers. Right hand down hand ---- no OTHER right hand :D. If you don't have a co-pilot then often the camp site warden will do the honours with the other handset (sorry of that sounds a bit rude, wasn't meant to be but I'm the queen of the unintended double entendres).

They are also handy when shopping if you go in different directions or even for calling for help on a campsite if you are alone as many motorhomers / campers have and use them - you just need to call on several of the bands until someone picks up.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Today I had electric power steering fitted to my 1991 Renault Trafic coachbuilt

Traveled to Stratford-on-Avon, it took 4 hours and cost £600

Makes all the difference to low speed driving and parking

Not sure if I should post a direct link on Jim's site but if you google talbot-express-power-steering you should find them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
-How to actively avoid narrow and/or steep roads?
(how do you guys find this out in general)

Invest in a

It has bridge heights, width restrictions and weight restrictions marked which you won't get reliably from any type of satnav.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Teresa and welcome.

My advice would be, do plenty of 'armchair motorhoming'. Sitting at home in a comfy chair (whilst awaiting the insurance and doc's to sort themselves out) is a great place to start. Sounds like you're on a tight budget so you'll have to wait for the fancy truckers satnav gizmos.

As has been said, get onto Google Maps and Street View. You can then 'drive' down your route virtually.

As far as your van's dimensions go, have a bit of a measure-up. Type the dimensions out in a large bold font and clip them up in the cab where you can see them. If you haven't got any manual with the dimensions in it, measure the width with a standard tape measure (don't forget to add the wing/door mirrors). Then find somewhere quiet, put a stick in the ground level with the most forward point (bumper) of the cab. Drive forward until that stick is at the most rearward point, put another stick in the ground there and measure between the two sticks. You then have an accurate length of the vehicle ( be sure in include any bike rack or rear box). Measuring the height is a bit more tricky! Short of a major mathematical formula, place a piece of straight timber on the roof so that it protrudes out from the van's roof. You'll either need a mate to hold the tape and measure to the ground, or make a sort of inverted foot gauge (like when you're measured for shoes or like a hangman's gallows). Sounds complicated, but you only measure once. Don't forget to include and roof-top aerials etc. Oh and don't let the wood fall on your head!

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Thanks so much for all you're replies - this really is a lovely welcome!! All tips are firmly noted!
I'm off on my first adventure tomorrow and I feel like kid waiting for christmas - soooo excited!!!
I'm heading off to the lakes (Penrith) from Halifax, can anyone give tips on routes? I was hoping to cut across via a65 then the M6 vs going back towards Manchester to the M60 then the M6 or over to York for the A1.. is this a65 then M6 route suitable for a newbie driving a 22 footer? Has anyone got any warning to give?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Teresa, having gone from a newbie with a van conversion, to a newbie with an A class (LHD and 25ft long............and No power steering), just take your time,.............and Enjoy.
If you havn't already noticed Mh takes up more road space, (width), so something to keep in mind

Keep us posted on how your trip went.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes I hold my hands up,
but drove lots of Army 4 tonners with no power steering fo 18 years.

Yes, but you cant put an RL against a Talbot Express for a comparison. And anyway, you could knock road signs down with impunity!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi all, having wanted one for years I have finally bought myself a motor home (1990, 6 berth coach built - no power steering).

I'm hoping to hit the road and possibly Lake District with her asap! As much as I can't wait, I'm slightly concerned about it's size, so I want to try and pre-empt any potential nightmares/stresser and prevent them from happening so I can just enjoy it!

Can any help with any of the following:

-Recommended easily accessible sites in the Lake District

-How to actively avoid narrow and/or steep roads?
(how do you guys find this out in general)

-General tips and tricks for making the most of it all

-Where to go for low priced insurance

Looking forward replies :)

Any pics of it? What make / model?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back