What van is wide enough to fit a bed crossways? (1 Viewer)

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi all,
I am new to this forum so shall say hello.
I am looking to buy a van to convert myself but as I intend to to be in it all next summer and possibly longer if things go well and I would really like a proper bed that fits along the back crossways,the trouble is the only van I can find that accommodates this are LDVs and I would prefer something more up to date,are there any other vans that are wide enough for a bed?
Cheers.

ps sorry posted this on the beginners forum before I saw this one.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
hiya adj and welcome to fun.. :)
i too needed a fixed bed across the back and for dvla purposes it needed to be six feet length, so i got a citroen relay, not my first choice but was what i could afford, the fiat ducato and the peugeot boxer are the same size too..
the bed length after van sides insulated etc, came in at a smidgeon over the six feet..

OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks dryad,it seems the dimensions for those vans are 1870mm so that would only give me 7cm spare,I would of thought that by the time you add the ply and insulation that this would not be possible,is this not the case?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
thought it was odd that my post seemed to have disappeared, just realised that there are two threads..
honest injun, the bed is as i said, a smidgeon over the 6' in length..

OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Yeah sorry about that I've been replying to both,very confusing.
So it is doable,that's good to know.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks dryad,it seems the dimensions for those vans are 1870mm so that would only give me 7cm spare,I would of thought that by the time you add the ply and insulation that this would not be possible,is this not the case?

Insulating the van doesn't need to make it thinner as the insulation can go between the van joists with expanding foam inside the joists like this:

Broken Link Removed

It then just needs say 6mm ply over the top so even with a covering you'll only lose around 20mm from the width.

Mad_Sunday

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Burton, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Self build/Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Remember, the regs call for a 6ft bed, it doesn't specify single or double. If you have a 6ft long seat, chuck a pillow and a blanket on it and take a picture, job done ;) Then make your double bed any size that fits.

Pete

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive never heard of dvla coming round to measure but yes my van is six foot across after the ply and carpet is fitted to the ribs theres some pics in my sig below i nolonger have the bench seata at the rear just a bed fixed higher

Reactions: JJ

kernowjon

Free Member
Jun 6, 2015
CORNWALL
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2010
Another van you may wish to consider - if you want larger would be an IVECO Daily.
More room for the living area, Loo and Kitchen.
Kernowjon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back