What van is wide enough to fit bed crossways? (1 Viewer)

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi all,
I am new to this forum so shall say hello.
I am looking to buy a van to convert myself but as I intend to to be in it all next summer and possibly longer if things go well and I would really like a proper bed that fits along the back crossways,the trouble is the only van I can find that accommodates this are LDVs and I would prefer something more up to date,are there any other vans that are wide enough for a bed?
Cheers.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I guess the answer will really depend on how tall you are which will dictate how long the bed needs to be. Lots of the mainstream converters use the ducato (or citroen/peugeot equivalent) as a base and put a transverse bed across the rear. Ours is like this. We're both 5'8 and this is long enough but I would think that if you were nearer 6' then it might be a squeeze.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks foe the reply,I was under the impression that to fit in with the regs that it had to be full size,is this not the case?
I am 5'11'' btw so will need a full size

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you may find that as you move up in the vehicle that a standard mattress doesnt fit in an ldv.
now a old shape vw lt is ideal. fits a treat.
all depends with many vans how high you make the bed base as they soon start to slope in .
there is no real bed size for any regs about motor homes .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Oh ok ,I read somewhere that that the bed had to be 180 cm long for the dvla to register it as a camper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Ah,I have just read on here http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal that it is not a legal requirement to reregister a van to a camper but I would still like a standard length bed to fit in but it does give me some leway.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the only vans that are wide enough to fit a traverse bed above 6ft long are new Fiat stable ones -every other van made is too narrow
Fiat /pugs Citroen =6'4"
Transit =5'9" less than 5' across the top-older even narrower
Renault master stable= 5' 10"
Merc/vw =5'8"
Iveco =5'7"
LDV convoy = 5'10" not sure on the maxus that looks even norrower
To get the Fiat ones to 6' 4" you have to go inside the panels between the reinforcement bars
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh ok ,I read somewhere that that the bed had to be 180 cm long for the dvla to register it as a camper.
No req on bed length--got to have a cooker/sink /cupboard-wardrobe/bed and a table =free standing or fixed also now it has to look like a camper van IE side window.If you are 5' 11" tall you defo need a 6' bed any smaller,and after a couple of nights, you want to go home :)--put more thought into your layout ;)
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks for that Terry,I cant find anything on Fiat stable,is it called something else?

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
needing for practical reasons a fixed bed across the back, i got a citroen relay panel van, wasn't my first choice but what i could afford..
the bed length after insulation, ply and carpet covered is just a smidgeon over six feet, which as i understand is the minimum length for dvla reclassification purposes..

the fiat 'stable' is the fiat ducato, citroen relay and peugeot boxer..

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I tried to edit the Iveco to say newer ones(2003 on) are 5'10" :)
Fiat stable vans = Fiat Ducato Peugeot boxer and Citroen relay = same van different badges and engines in some = too confusing at this time (y):Dbut all good engines

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adj

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Ah,pardon me you mean a horse box.
needing for practical reasons a fixed bed across the back, i got a citroen relay panel van, wasn't my first choice but what i could afford..
the bed length after insulation, ply and carpet covered is just a smidgeon over six feet, which as i understand is the minimum length for dvla reclassification purposes..

the fiat 'stable' is the fiat ducato, citroen relay and peugeot boxer..

With the vans being 1870mm I would of thought that this would not be possible as you would only have 7cm spare,is this not the case?

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
have replied in the other thread for you, but i will add here that measurements were taken a number of times throughout the build, didn't want to get it wrong on this van, or fall foul of the dvla, the other small double bed in the van is only 5'9" long, thats made up from the side seating opposite from the big slidey door..
you'll be amazed just how tardis like these vehicles are and how much you can fit in with a sensible approach and a bit of forward planning..

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can also add lots to a bed by incorporating the front seat bases --food for thought -layout is everything

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back