europa sim 'services terminated' (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Couldn't agree more. Some of their sales tactics are despicable. I might have put it down to a rouge salesman, had it not been for their refusal to take sensible steps to resolve the issues.

It's a shame, because the network itself is fine.
Had nothing to do with three till a couple of months ago , had no issues at all just bought a pay and go sim from tesco 99 p stuck it in an unlocked phone and useing it at a tenth of the price of O2 , don't really see how you can go wrong, put a tenner on it and if it fails what have you lost £11 and probably saved that in free internet

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This thread has got me looking at the alternatives. I am currently with O2 for my mobile and have just spotted they now do unlimited data in Europe for £1.99 a day, that is on the days you turn it one. This is cheaper than the EuropaSIM. O2 used to charge £1.99 for a limited amount of data, can't remember what it was but you could quickly use it up. They say now it is unlimited for pay monthly customers. But their PAYG is still heavily restricted. https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-Europe
See my earlier post, worked fine in Belgium and holland and you can tether on it.
It says it slows down the more you use it but I never noticed it

Reactions: DBK
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I
Just got a very quick reply from Europasim and here is what they say:

Hi Peter,
it´s just since a few days that Vodafone blocks the smart passport tariff for foreigners because some asian people tried to cheat Vodafone. Until now just cards from April until now activated are affected. Your card is from February - so I think it will be no problem for you.
But that Vodafone does not provide any Europe-tariff is the termination of our business.
best regards,
Ronny Scholz
Supportteam Europasim

So looks like only older cards may be OK (for the moment), but ones bought from April onwards are blocked. Lots are being used by Funsters, so it would be useful if those using them could report on this thread if they work or not.

I have done already, am in Belgium at this moment and using Europa sim for this message and it has been ok over the last week (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Just tried mine which I bought in April, I cannot access any of the available networks shown by the search, seems it has been blocked, will email europasim regarding my outstanding balance and purchase cost refund, I may as well try but dont expect much if anything. (n)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Had nothing to do with three till a couple of months ago , had no issues at all just bought a pay and go sim from tesco 99 p stuck it in an unlocked phone and useing it at a tenth of the price of O2 , don't really see how you can go wrong, put a tenner on it and if it fails what have you lost £11 and probably saved that in free internet
Yes, the network itself is good. It's fine for that sort of use - no one from 3 involved in the deal!

I expect it's also true that you could have a contract with them & everything would be fine. It's only when things are not fine that you find out whether a company is really any good or not.

As a result of one of their sales staff either not knowing his job or telling outright lies (delete as appropriate), things were not fine. Trying to sort it out was a nightmare.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If, like me, you still have a Europasim bought before April 2014 you may not need an alternative. Following Europasim's reply to me (see my previous post) I asked them about topping up. Here is what they said

Top up is possible via Vodafone.it or Rechargemysim.de - they are not affected.
best regards,
Ronny

So if you can use yours you can still top it up. Vodafone Italy are on this link. It is in Italian but my Chrome translates it automatically.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have just tried my O2 SIM in the Huawei Mifi and after setting up a new APN for pay monthly O2 (it already had an O2 APN set up but it was for PAYG ) it worked fine. I still have credit on the EuropaSIM so will certainly use that up but I will also probably top it up as it will be useful to be able to have the choice of Vodaphone or O2 networks and choose whichever has the best signal.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Just tried mine which I bought in April, I cannot access any of the available networks shown by the search, seems it has been blocked, will email europasim regarding my outstanding balance and purchase cost refund, I may as well try but dont expect much if anything. (n)

Received reply to my email as follows:
Unfortunately our provider has suddenly terminated operations and many SIM-Cards have been blocked.
We have been heavily impacted, both on the operational and financial side.
We really regret for being unable to provide you with the promised service as we have done for many years with thousands of satisfied customers.
Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.
To compensate for your loss we offer 20 euro for the partial reimbursement of your SIM-Card.
We hope in your understanding, because this has hitten our company and terminated our business model.
For Refund for your credit please adress to the company you have used to top-up.
Kind Regards,
Ernst Ratz
CustomerCare Manager.

It would seem from this that I will get 20 euro for the purchase of the card and I will now need to contact voda-it for the refund of my outstanding balance.
Not a bad result, but Im still out of pocket, hey ho c'est la vie.

ItIt

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It's fine right up until it isn't. My issue was that their mast or cell or whatever that covered the village where I live and at the time worked failed so I literally had no phone at all when at home or in the office. That's no calls. no texts, no email. Nothing.
I bit the bullet and contacted them and eventually got to speak to someone who had a vague grasp of English, explained the issue and was informed that yes, they knew about it. So I asked what they were doing about it and when would the mast be repaired only to be told they were doing nothing about it and had no date for the mast to be repaired. I suggested that this was a breach of contract because they were failing to provide the service they were charging me for. Not in the slightest bit interested - apparently because I could go out of the village and get service in other places they were meeting their responsibilities!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I commented on in another thread, the signal is very strange , where we live the only phones that work is O2 so we all have them, never get data but the phone works, well since having this 3 sim I have found it's all or nothing, in the house and down one side of the garden , nothing, other side of garden full bars and a good data signal, not a problem as I only got it for France and never expected it to work at home at all but find this all over ,nothing or full signal nowt inbetween, but in France never found anywhere where it didn't have a signal and being as it was free it was better than fon or any other free wifi

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
O2 Travel Data Service
  1. A daily charge of £1.66 ex VAT will be applied automatically on the days that you use data in the selected destinations.
  2. There's no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, but we'll slow down the service if you reach an assumed fair usage amount in order to manage traffic on the network. This will be more than 100MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts") in a day. Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device. The speed available for file transfer, online gaming, peer to peer downloads and network back-up services is restricted and may not work with O2 Travel. You can view our traffic management policy here.
  3. Regardless of the country you're in of the selected destinations, your daily data charge will apply from 00.00 to 23.59 UK time. Whilst you're travelling you'll need to check the time in the UK to understand when your daily charge expires.
  4. O2 Travel provides you with daily data to use in the country you're in. If you travel to another country in the selected destinations in the same UK day you'll continue to use the same allocation of daily data for that 24 hour period for that next country.
  5. Any unused assumed fair usage amount will not carry over to the following day.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
our business model is terminated because we are not able to get more SIM cards in future with the european tariff plan.

Furthermore some asian people bought huge amounts of cards in the last months in different shops (also in our webshop but we have customers all over the world). These guys started to rent the cards to tourists going to Europe. Vodafone was informed about this and has blocked all foreign cards from April 2014.

your card is activated in march - so I think you don´t should be affected.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
It's fine right up until it isn't. My issue was that their mast or cell or whatever that covered the village where I live and at the time worked failed so I literally had no phone at all when at home or in the office. That's no calls. no texts, no email. Nothing.
I bit the bullet and contacted them and eventually got to speak to someone who had a vague grasp of English, explained the issue and was informed that yes, they knew about it. So I asked what they were doing about it and when would the mast be repaired only to be told they were doing nothing about it and had no date for the mast to be repaired. I suggested that this was a breach of contract because they were failing to provide the service they were charging me for. Not in the slightest bit interested - apparently because I could go out of the village and get service in other places they were meeting their responsibilities!
Very true.

One of the reasons that the network is fine where it works, but then fails altogether, is that 3 have no 2G coverage to fall back on. It's 3G or nothing. That doesn't bother me too much, because for what I'm mostly using it for, I need 3G. If I'm in an area where there is only 2G, my phone will suffice - that's with Vodafone, who appear to have a wider coverage area than 3 (especially if you include 2G coverage), but which doesn't seem to match 3 in areas where 3 actually works.

My experience of their customer services people is similar to yours - absolutely no interest in the customer whatsoever. Sales will happily tell you one story - customer service a very different one. I used to think they were a reputable company; not any more. Very disappointing, really. :(

I will continue to use their PAYG data SIM as & when it suits me, but as to having a contract with them - no chance.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I tried my Europa sim this morning in the mifi,,it is showing BT internet, but I can't connect to it..I've emailed motorhome wifi this morning to see about who I should get a refund from as I bought the sim from them. I'm still waiting for a reply,,,,, I wonder if the credit card co can do anything! Bloody £41 for the sim and€ 21 still on it,
I'm well pissed off,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I've been on 3 for just over 4 years. It's a pain that they only use 3G because there are plenty of places that it won't work. I was paying near to £40 a month but my contract just ended. We have no 3 phone signal at home and 3G if you stand the phone up in the bathroom on the window then create a hotspot so I could use my ipad!
So, I rang them to cancel my service and move providers. 02 has a slightly better signal at home. No others work
Anyway, 3 sent me a Home Signal unit that allows me to use my phone at home ( we all have 3 so can all access the service) this was free, and I got 12 month sim only contract for £9.
They are not the best company in the world, but they have always sorted out any problems.
You should try using Talktalk to see how bad some companies can be!
Allan

Forgot to say, we have been all over France this week and 3 works great for internet and calls

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Three in France last week used it all the time never switched it off, never cost a penny, BUT, don't try it in those countries yet, I went over the border into Belgium and immediately had a text to say they had taken £5 out of my allowance and they take it everyday you are there even if you just check an email or something, as soon as your data kicks in its a fiver, but in France brilliant signal everywhere, but I also had my O2 phone with me and it appears that now whereas you used to only get 15 meg a day for £1.99 you now get unlimited in any country for that so used that one in Belgium and switched three off[/QUOTE]

That interesting, I used one well over the 15 MB limit in France in May and was dreadinn a large bill when I got home but I was still only charged the daily 1.99. I wonder if its now official policy with o2 that there are now no limits?

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Very true.

One of the reasons that the network is fine where it works, but then fails altogether, is that 3 have no 2G coverage to fall back on. It's 3G or nothing.

Um, 3 falls back to 2G on the O2 network if there is no 3G. The problem sometimes is persuading your phone to do this so it's not quite correct to say that it has no 2G fall-back option.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Um, 3 falls back to 2G on the O2 network if there is no 3G. The problem sometimes is persuading your phone to do this so it's not quite correct to say that it has no 2G fall-back option.
That's very interesting, we now have 3 on our otHer phones that won't work in the house but our O2 phones do , SO can you tell us how our 3 phones will work on O2 in the house, this would be brilliant as we could ditch O2 altogether , the settings say max 3g connection not only 3G

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Phones may do, for voice calls. but I don't think mobile broadband mifis & the like do for internet surfing. I've never used 3 in a phone.

I did try a few months ago - that was the cause of my falling out with them! :madder:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Currently touring through France and have topped up my europasim once a few days ago. Its still working fine (as you can see).
Seems to be a lot of confusion about, will email Motorhomewifi and try to clarify the situation before I have to top up again.

Terry

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i contacted 02 and yes the rate is 1.69+vat per day for data it can be used in a mifi but its not allowed for others to link to it how they would know is beyond me it said unlimited data but they cant tell me what the fair user policy is but at that rate it seems a great deal so my phone is 50p to make calls upto 1 hr talking and 8p for txt 1.99 data and also if i phone a uk mobile abroad while in this country it is part of my minute allowance :)

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello all - for some reason I've only just seen this thread.

Please see our press release on our homepage: Broken Link Removed

I am at present only aware of 5 customers who are affected and so there is no reason to panic at this stage.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I tried my Europa sim this morning in the mifi,,it is showing BT internet, but I can't connect to it..I've emailed motorhome wifi this morning to see about who I should get a refund from as I bought the sim from them. I'm still waiting for a reply,,,,, I wonder if the credit card co can do anything! Bloody £41 for the sim and€ 21 still on it,
I'm well pissed off,

Did we speak to you Lou? I can't recall if we have (but it may have been Sophie).

When you say "It is showing BT Internet" - this won't be the signal strength, but sometimes MiFi devices detect this APN setting in error. Do remember to ensure you manually specify your APN to mobile.vodafone.it and not 'BTinternet'.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
so dave is it ok in spain as well will need it in benidorm the site wifi there is normally shite

I'm in Benidorm now and mine hasn't had a signal since they day I arrived. I put 50 euros in credit on it on July 12th and then it turns out a week later they don't work.

I only bought mine a few months ago from MotorhomeWifi, along with a £150 gadget which they said I needed to use it, and now I feel well and truly ripped-off :(

I know stuff like this happens, but it seems odd that MotorhomeWifi sent me an email 11th June 2014 to let me know that the EuropaSIM configuration needed tweaking, and yet for some odd reason, felt it wasn't necessary to let me know that the darned thing would no longer work at all.

I wouldn't mind, I've been recommending MotorhomeWifi to people and now I feel like a right chump.

I know they put a press release up on the 19th July 2014, but surely an email to their customers would have made more sense. As it was, I rolled up in Benidorm on the 21st and wasted THREE DAYS fiddling with this Netgear gadget they'd sold me trying to get it to work. I must have spent four hours fiddling with all the settings, taking the sim out, reinserting it, switching the device off, changing the settings, repeating the whole process. All it would have taken is ONE email just to let me know.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I'm well pissed off,

Me too.

Only bought the thing from MotohomeWifi at the Harrogate show and they told me I needed a Netgear gadget to use it. They do two models and I went for the 4g one which was about £150.

So the cost of the SIM, plus the gadget they sold me, plus the 50 euros of unused credit, mean it has been an unmitigated disaster.

I wouldn't have minded too much if MotorhomeWifi had bothered to notify me, but I think they hoped people just wouldn't notice. As it was, first I knew of it was after getting to Spain and trying in vain to get it working for three days.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I'm in Belgium at the moment and mine seems to be working fine. I bought mine in May . Although I think I'll switch to joe mobile which is €2 per day for Europe + €20 for 3 gig or even the THREE network. I have all the SIM cards with me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back