May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Are there sure-fire ways to:

1) Get comprehensive cover from German dealer pickup to Blighty?

2) Avoid the cash-flow problem of paying VAT twice - in Germany AND in the UK - before claiming the latter back?

Many thanks!

Dave

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Why should you have to pay UK VAT when you have already paid German VAT and presumably have a German VAT invoice to prove it, providing that you are not a VAT registered Motorhome business in the UK!

OP
OP
DABurleigh
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
It is my understanding that "Note that in some Member States the supplier may take a refundable deposit equivalent to the VAT which is refunded once you have paid the VAT in the destination state."

So I fear I still have to pay twice before getting one lot back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Dont even think of insuring the MH here in Germany, it is extortionate, you can get cover from a UK Company to bring it over assuming you are self driving!!
I am not sure, but in the old days of buying a new car to bring home (Ex RAF Germany), the Company that you bought from used to give you "one way" limited mileage insurance gratis to get you home and get the vehicle re-registered!
Believe it or not, the German Insurance System works on 35 years no claims etc, if you are insuring for the first time here, even with full no claims at home, you only get 9 years of NCD!! So I am currently paying the same as a 27 year old!!:mad:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I went through this motion a few years ago - so this post might be a bit out of date now:
http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

As I understand it the VAT can be handled in a couple of different ways but ultimately the dealer has the final say as to what they are comfortable / able to do.

You can get Fully Comp insurance in the UK for 30 days using a VIN number, but a Dutch company will give you temporary fully comp insurance from Germany to the port: http://www.alessie.com/

Hope that helps.

Adam

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Speak to Nick Legg at Bundesvan and let him handle it for you. A very nice sincere chap.

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
You do not pay VAT twice. The german dealer will hold it as a deposit until you provide evidence the VAT has been paid. however, Our dealer gave us a sales invoice before we picked it up. we used this to go online using the government gateway, paid the VAT and got the certificate in a day. Sent that by email and picked the van up at the nett price. Safeguard will insure from the UK port. You get third party on the german export plates. As we are only 90 mins from the dutch port we took the gamble, but as stated above this is cover available

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
You did well to get evidence of the VAT being paid in a day...

We paid the VAT [through BACS] on our newly imported van via NOVA ten days ago...HMRC then "lost" the payment until today when they confirmed it had been "found" but still seem to be incapable of sending us an electronic receipt for the money so we can reclaim the VAT already paid in Germany.

At least now we can apply to the DVLA for registration...

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp
Presently importing using a UK agent 'Bundesvan'. The process is quite daunting. VAT IS payable in the UK. The dealer keeps the equivalent as a deposit against it not being paid in the UK and them being liable. Bundesvan is VAT registered, so not necessary. Despite his fees, savings are considerable (and the aggravation is greatly reduced).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have imported 9 times now and have never experienced any difficulty, only with the dvla!

I know a german dealer that supplies free of vat as long as you send proof by return. Also fully comp export insurance with plates. PM for details.

They are an hour north of Düsseldorf, there and back in the same day if need be. They can supply most makes as well apparently, as well as the ones they are agents for.... Worth a quote. They will also do all the necessary changes for you before you pick it up making registration straightforward on your return

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've imported a couple of vans in the last 12 years. Both were from Alpha motorhomes in Belgium. I only buy one year old vans, so no problem with VAT etc. Alpha supplied temporary number plates and insurance to use as far as home. Paperwork was organised by the very helpful staff in our local DVLA office. Unfortunately these satellite offices have all closed so not very optimistic about how it will work now. I bought left hand drive vans as 99.9% of my usage is out of UK.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have bought from Belgium in the past, can be as competitive as Germany and less traveling. Have spoken with Alpha myself, they are professional and easy to deal with, but ended up buying in germany as over all was a better deal by the time you included extras. but Alpha definitely worth talking to..

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Just a little addition to the conversation. It might be a good idea to look at continental vans now. The exchange rate (pounds to Euros) has moved a long way in our favour, and you'll get more van for your money!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back