Looking for first motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

I only just joined this evening and looking forward to some useful guidance.

We are now actively searching for our first MH and need to know a if I can achieve what I need to for the budget we are looking to spend....:unsure:

We are a family of 6. Me, my wife, a 14YO, a 12YO, a 2YO and a 1YO - so am assuming a 6 birth is the minimum requirement (although I also guess my eldest daughter won't join us a lot!!)

Do you guys think a MH of that size can be found for around £4500?

I appreciate that it will be a LOT older model and could benefit from some cosmetic updating, but do you think its achievable?

If not at the minute, do you think it's better to wait until later in the year?:unsure:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just tried a quick search on Autotrader, cant put in £4500 so had to put in up to £6K

Some scary high mileages at that price, but a couple in the £5500 region

I don't know many people who have managed to stick to budget, not wanting to encourage overspend, just try for bigger discount (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I once had a six berth without power steering (Kontiki) which I eventually had power steering fitted to. It's good exercise, you either end up with shoulders like the incredible hulk or injure yourself.
Seat belts are a big problem, as older motorhomes didn't have them in the back. With your limited budget I would very much recommend the home build route, especially as if you modify a minibus you could have all the belted seats you like. You may even find one that someone has already converted. A converted van is much less likely to suffer from damp than an elderly coachbuilt.

Answering a previous question, the number of berths does not correspond to cost, or indeed to size. My MH is 7.4M long and is 4berth (two doubles one fixed rear, one dropdown) where the Hymer that parks next to me at my storage place is 6berth but only about 6M long. As with trailer caravans, the 'posh' ones are usually aimed at the retired, who are seen as being able to afford them, and are usually just a couple with perhaps the odd grandchild to accommodate.

Best of luck and hope you find what you want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also, also, is a petrol engine a big no-no for such a large vehicle?

Theres a one for sale on Orkney, thats a 4 berth Fiat Ducato and has a 2litre petrol engine...

You could always convert to LPG from petrol (much easier than a diesel to LPG conversion) so not a complete no-no. The conversion will cost of course. People who know more will be better able to advise.

Our Hymer was a petrol - had we been able to keep it I would have gone for an LPG conversion and complete refit but a house move meant a van sale. We got as much back as we paid for it - almost.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Also, also, is a petrol engine a big no-no for such a large vehicle?

Theres a one for sale on Orkney, thats a 4 berth Fiat Ducato and has a 2litre petrol engine...

People will tell you not to touch a high mileage petrol engine, others will give a sharp intake and quote mpg for petrol , my opinion is that diesel engines still rattle more than petrol, don't sound as nice and the fuel is bloody awful to handle at the pump

Annual motorhome mileage tends to be quite low, so although it will cost more in a petrol engine (unless you find an lpg conversion or have it converted) it is not going to make a massive difference to annual ownership, but do your own sums it is your budget not for me to advise

I would though think the cost of collecting from the mainland with ferry and fuel will use up the saving you would make in your first year if you travel to get a diesel rather than buying a local MH

At the age and price you are looking I don't think it will mater much

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be looking for a MH with sufficient seats with belts and then go from there, not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but just in case you don't know, you should avoid anything with side facing settees with lap belt ... not safe at all! As has been suggested an alternative would be to consider a 4 berth with 5 belted travel seats, these are probably more available than those with 6 belted seats, they usually consist of the 2 cab seats, a dinette with 2 forward facing rear seats with 3 point belts and a single rear facing dinette seat with a lap or 3 point belt, some do have 2 rear facing belts but are not as common. Another option would be to replace the cab passenger seat with a 2-seat bench and extra seat belt as you would normally have in a commercial van (assuming it could be done safely) thus giving 3 seats in the front and 2 rear ones, but obviously it then means that you wouldn't be able to get through to the rear without going outside!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you can get parts and the vehicle has been regularly and well serviced don't worry too much about high mileage. Our last car but one was petrol and had 210,000 on the clock....... it went to the scrappy as the bodywork was so badly rusted. The engine (only 3 cylinder jobby) was still sweet and we got 52 mpg up to Edinburgh and back (100 mile round trip) on a daily basis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would be looking for a MH with sufficient seats with belts and then go from there, not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but just in case you don't know, you should avoid anything with side facing settees with lap belt ... not safe at all! As has been suggested an alternative would be to consider a 4 berth with 5 belted travel seats, these are probably more available than those with 6 belted seats, they usually consist of the 2 cab seats, a dinette with 2 forward facing rear seats with 3 point belts and a single rear facing dinette seat with a lap or 3 point belt, some do have 2 rear facing belts but are not as common. Another option would be to replace the cab passenger seat with a 2-seat bench and extra seat belt as you would normally have in a commercial van (assuming it could be done safely) thus giving 3 seats in the front and 2 rear ones, but obviously it then means that you wouldn't be able to get through to the rear without going outside!

Cheers Minx.

There are two options here on Orkney at the minute in my price range:

This:

Or this:

The van version is a lot cheaper with 95K miles on the clock and would leave a lot of scope for alterations/improvements.
The coach built one has 20K on the clock but has side facing parallel seats only.
Both are 4 berth.

Are these a total nightmare waiting to happen??

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I might get shot down in flames for suggesting this on a motorhome forum but at the stated budget I would give some thought to a caravan instead especially if you have a decent car that will tow.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I might get shot down in flames for suggesting this on a motorhome forum but at the stated budget I would give some thought to a caravan instead especially if you have a decent car that will tow.

Martin

That was suggested Martin, but i would never have the bottle to tow a caravan...lol

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That was suggested Martin, but i would never have the bottle to tow a caravan...lol

Hook it on the back, drive away and the bloody thing just follows you around all day, just don't go backwards:LOL:

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
20k on the clock is nothing unless its "been round the clock" damp in that age of van is a bigger problem as had been said already. I believe that vans registered before early 07 do not have to have belted seats for all occupants !!! is it safe !!! only you can decide on that one.
Was once on a site at Fort William and there were 4 vans with a total of 8 people and when they went out for the day they always took the 05 plated van and they all piled into the rear lounge except the driver and co driver as they were not breaking the law on seatbelts

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
If a MH is the desired then an older swift kontiki with the U shaped lounge may be best, this is what we was looking for however from what ive seen most 6 berths only ever had 4 seat belts.
Our 6berth Elddis Has 4 forward facing seat belts, i did notice a swift we test ran had side lap belts in the rear.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you intend to come to the mainland then the cost of the ferry comes into play and the bigger the MH then the more it will cost. If you are only staying 'local' then I'd be tempted instead to get a panel van conversion with 4 travel seats and when the need arises take a tent/awning and a second vehicle for any additional passengers - for where you are using a small tent when wild camping shouldn't be a problem, or even a mini-caravan which you can leave at home when it's not needed. Also taking into account the ages of your older kids I don't think they'll want to be going with mum and dad for long anyway, so a 4 seater would do the trick.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you intend to come to the mainland then the cost of the ferry comes into play and the bigger the MH then the more it will cost. If you are only staying 'local' then I'd be tempted instead to get a panel van conversion with 4 travel seats and when the need arises take a tent/awning and a second vehicle for any additional passengers - for where you are using a small tent when wild camping shouldn't be a problem, or even a mini-caravan which you can leave at home when it's not needed. Also taking into account the ages of your older kids I don't think they'll want to be going with mum and dad for long anyway, so a 4 seater would do the trick.

Yes Minx, I think one or two of the comments so far has persuaded me to think 4berth..... (y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Don't forget that if you do need extra bunks there are always cab bunks

http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

Wish we'd known about these before buying as it would have increased the options - not that we aren't delighted with Buffy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK, I have re-visited a 1992 Talbot Express Pilote R390 4 berth. It has 4 forward facing seats in the back all with seat belts.

I had contacted the seller on Ebay at the weekend but the listing ended without it selling, she has confirmed it is still for sale and she was going to re-list it this weekend...

I know this is a V old model for some of you guys that have spent a LOT of money on your own, but as a first MH is this a good model? Is there anything I should be asking?

Also, taking my location into account are there any companies out there that will inspect the MH for me?

Many apologies for being a complete novice...:oops:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Check the bodywork for rust....... I once used a garage in Kirkwall (can't remember the name) but they seemed good and trustworthy and they might be able to give an opinion on the base vehicle but not the habitation area.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
OK, I have re-visited a 1992 Talbot Express Pilote R390 4 berth. It has 4 forward facing seats in the back all with seat belts.
Many apologies for being a complete novice...:oops:

The guy that did my power steering has a L plate Talbot coachbuilt, just been to Sweden

There are a few problems to check for : sloppy gearchange (there are kits to fix): lack of power steering and rust to the bodywork of the base vehicle - his van was looking good despite its age

Definitely get it thoroughly checked out anyway - good luck(y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The guy that did my power steering has a L plate Talbot coachbuilt, just been to Sweden

There are a few problems to check for : sloppy gearchange (there are kits to fix): lack of power steering and rust to the bodywork of the base vehicle - his van was looking good despite its age

Definitely get it thoroughly checked out anyway - good luck(y)(y)

Cheers Burstner (y)

This is it here--->

It has a central table and chairs rather than U shape rear, but not too worried for our first one and restrictive budget.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

Cant make this into a proper link

edit - now posted I see it is a link

Just done some digging, they have turned down offers of £4250 in the recent listing, I would have thought that would be top whack for this and possibly more than they paid

It will definitely need some work doing, worrying comments regarding roof light leak, other bits sound cosmetic, but what do I know

Impressed by the 6 forward facing seats though, but the rear 4 are only lap belts, so legal but relatively useless

It looks quite smart, but I think it is still a lot of money for such an oldie, but MH's more or less seem to bottom out around this price regardless of condition

Good luck with the search, what happened to the one in the Orkneys?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Broken Link Removed

Cant make this into a proper link

edit - now posted I see it is a link

Just done some digging, they have turned down offers of £4250 in the recent listing, I would have thought that would be top whack for this and possibly more than they paid

It will definitely need some work doing, worrying comments regarding roof light leak, other bits sound cosmetic, but what do I know

Impressed by the 6 forward facing seats though, but the rear 4 are only lap belts, so legal but relatively useless

It looks quite smart, but I think it is still a lot of money for such an oldie, but MH's more or less seem to bottom out around this price regardless of condition

Good luck with the search, what happened to the one in the Orkneys?

Cheers Dave. What sort of price would you expect to pay for this? I suppose I could save them the Ebay fees if they didnt have to relist....:rolleyes:

Where does it mention the roof light leak...I seem to be blind...

The coachbuilt one up here is older, not as good a layout and they want 6K for it. :unsure:
Do you know if I can I get Isofix brackets to fit to the seats?

Any idea who is best to get to inspect it? It's down in Horley, Surrey.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I can't help with much on the technical side, but have been guilty of many an impulsive purchase mainly through ebay, nearly bought a pier at Llandudno once, another day for that one :D

If I do nothing more than supress your desire to rush in I will have done my work for today

below is a copy from the listing, it is all too easy to miss key facts, they have been honest enough to put them in, but the fact they justify it by condensation worries me, as previously posted, one of if not the biggest killers of motor homes will be damp

We purchased and used this motorhome for Glastonbury festival (2014) when 6 of us lived out of it for a week (some slept in tents around the camper!). All facilities work fine and it's actually quite spacious inside, even with an 8 month pregnant inhabitant! General description; 1992 Talbot Express - Pilote R390, 4 birth, 17ft 6in long, 5 gears, radio cassette with CD input socket, 2.5lt diesel. It has a 3-way fridge (mains - 12v - gas), gas oven, gas grill, 4 plate hob with electric ignition, hot/cold water, cassette toilet, shower (curtain is missing) and air blown heater. Water tank holds 150lts and there are functioning seat belts for 6 people. Please note; the toilet window has a crack in it that was repaired by the previous owner; the n/s/f upper window has a hole in the outer skin/layer; the freezer cover hinge in the fridge is broken so it just pulls off rather than a door action; rear roof vent has very slight leak (only with condensation); the compartment/privacy curtain for the upper bed above the cab is missing; one of the awning leg fixings is missing but is still useable; the boiler flue cover is missing; rear bumper has a crack; passenger window winder handle not fixed (still able to use but the plastic winder handle needs replacing); diners window lock fixed shut; various outer and inner scuffs, the fittings and upholstery reflect the age of the vehicle. The front roof vent has been replaced along with the camper door lock. The engine cam belt has also been replaced. The above have been noted so that you know the good and bad of what you are looking at. The camper remains a great runner with all facilities in working order and good fuel consumption. MOT until May 2015 and taxed until 30/09/14. Viewing recommended prior to purchase and questions are welcome! £200 deposit required via PayPal, remainder on collection of vehicle. Serious buyers only please.

I really do not think it is worth more than £4K and you could easily spend a few hundreds sorting it out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can't help with much on the technical side, but have been guilty of many an impulsive purchase mainly through ebay, nearly bought a pier at Llandudno once, another day for that one :D

If I do nothing more than supress your desire to rush in I will have done my work for today

below is a copy from the listing, it is all too easy to miss key facts, they have been honest enough to put them in, but the fact they justify it by condensation worries me, as previously posted, one of if not the biggest killers of motor homes will be damp

We purchased and used this motorhome for Glastonbury festival (2014) when 6 of us lived out of it for a week (some slept in tents around the camper!). All facilities work fine and it's actually quite spacious inside, even with an 8 month pregnant inhabitant! General description; 1992 Talbot Express - Pilote R390, 4 birth, 17ft 6in long, 5 gears, radio cassette with CD input socket, 2.5lt diesel. It has a 3-way fridge (mains - 12v - gas), gas oven, gas grill, 4 plate hob with electric ignition, hot/cold water, cassette toilet, shower (curtain is missing) and air blown heater. Water tank holds 150lts and there are functioning seat belts for 6 people. Please note; the toilet window has a crack in it that was repaired by the previous owner; the n/s/f upper window has a hole in the outer skin/layer; the freezer cover hinge in the fridge is broken so it just pulls off rather than a door action; rear roof vent has very slight leak (only with condensation); the compartment/privacy curtain for the upper bed above the cab is missing; one of the awning leg fixings is missing but is still useable; the boiler flue cover is missing; rear bumper has a crack; passenger window winder handle not fixed (still able to use but the plastic winder handle needs replacing); diners window lock fixed shut; various outer and inner scuffs, the fittings and upholstery reflect the age of the vehicle. The front roof vent has been replaced along with the camper door lock. The engine cam belt has also been replaced. The above have been noted so that you know the good and bad of what you are looking at. The camper remains a great runner with all facilities in working order and good fuel consumption. MOT until May 2015 and taxed until 30/09/14. Viewing recommended prior to purchase and questions are welcome! £200 deposit required via PayPal, remainder on collection of vehicle. Serious buyers only please.

I really do not think it is worth more than £4K and you could easily spend a few hundreds sorting it out

Cheers Dave, totally missed that! :rolleyes:

I think it could be a good first MH, BUT at the right price as you wisely advise. Ive fired a few questions over to the vendor, who does seem honest enough as you say.(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You don't get a lot for your money in most MHs - The one I saw wasn't a 'starter' van it was well traveled and still in good nick - if it does the job at a price you can pay then you're off !!

Check out everything - rust and damp are the most expensive to repair - take someone with you if you view

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Upvote 0

terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euro Yacht 180
Exp
We bought our first motorhome a month ago. It takes patience to keep searching all the sites, autotrader, preloved, ebay, gumtree and all the individual dealers and garages but the right one will be out there somewhere for you. Have you tried advertising on preloved or gumtree for what you want? Good Luck.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back