Solar panel mounts (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've put the mounts on my solar panel and have just put it on the roof of the MH (not stuck). I notice that the mounts do not all sit flush with the roof (i.e the bases are not parallel to the roof). Does this matter, as long as I get a minimum of 2mm clearance with a spacer where the mounts touch the roof. I should think the amount of "gap" I have is about 2 to 3 mm max. I'm using Sikaflex 521.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Steve

Sounds like you will be OK with that, make sure all the surfaces are clean dry and polish free give the plastic feet a good scuff up and then just make sure that you have that bit of a gap to give some adhesive thickness.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I used small stick on plastic protector pads (you can buy big sheets of different sizes for a £1) to act as spacers. Stuck one on the bottom of each mount and applied mastic all around them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
When I fitted mine, I had six mounts per panel, The centre mount at the front was 2mm proud of the roof. I adjusted the fixing of the mount to the panel to account for this, before fixing the mounts to the roof with adhesive.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I don't have the option to adjust the panel mounts. They are where they are! especially the corner ones.

I'm using Sikaflex 521 UV. It was part of the installation kit I was supplied with. There appear to be many Sikaflex types used. 521 is classed as an adhesive sealant.

I've been looking for recommended spacer thicknesses but the Sikaflex documentation does not mention any. I've heard of anything between 2mm and 5mm.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sika 512 is an adhesive sealant that is specifically formulated for the building and repairing of caravans and motorhomes. It is bloody expensive! About £15 if you buy it from a dealer, but you can get it for about £11 on line.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Well, it's on now ...for good or bad! I could have put a bit more Sikaflex on but it did bulge out at most of the edges and I don't think there was much more left in the tube anyway. Where there appeared to be gaps I injected some more with a narrow nozzle. Most of the Sikaflex is 2 or 3 or 4mm. Only in one place did it get less than that. But once you start there's really no going back!

I found two things really useful. One of those plastic scrapers for removing beads of silicon, or it might be to shape it...not sure. Mine was in a set of three with different profiles. I used it to remove the squeezed out Sikaflex. It did it neatly and without mess. The second useful thing was a sympathetic wife to sooth my temper when things didn't look as if they were going right!

Now to finish the wiring. Controller and fusebox already installed. Just got to get the cables to the battery in as unobtrusive a way as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back