Ooooooh!!! Look at the muck in 'ere!!!! (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

I what is laughingly named "The Computer Room," (actually a vacated bedroom from the our youngest who is touring the hostelries of Queenstown, New Zealand),
there is a tower computer.
It was given to us by a newly acquired Son in Law when he did the decent thing by our daughter. There again, he actually did the decent thing by us and took her off our hands, anyway I digress.

Over the past 12-18mths the computer has become slower and slower. I've 'defragged it', (whatever that means). I've removed cache after cache but it never seemed to do the trick.

Two days ago, after listening to music gleaned from an external harddrive, I was disturbed to read that "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file 'M' (The external hard drive. Sure enough half of my prized pira.... ahem legally obtained music was missing.

Last night the computer packed up and switched itself off.
It came up with the legend , words to the effect. This computer has switched itself off to save itself from overheating..

What to do?

I labelled all the plugs in the back of the thing and took it to the kitchen. I was tempted to throw it into the garden but instead I took the side off it.
Now fella's, if you've got a houseproud other half this is where I suggest you make sure he (or she) doesn't read on. What I found was the biggest accumulation of dust since the last Sahara dust storm. It was, in places measurable with a yard stick.

I got the vac. out and gave it a good sucking???? and then I got out a miniature version of a garden vacuum blower, took the computer into the garden and gave it an almighty blasting with the aforementioned. I disappeared in a cloud of dust.

Took the 'puter back, plugged everything back into the back, crossed my fingers and pressed the 'On' button. Talk about greased lightening. Can't remember when it last worked as fast and I've immediately noticed that the secondary fan doesn't cut in any more (no work to do)

So, if your 'brain' has got slower, it may just be that you've got the equivalent of your Grannie hiding in the computers crevices.

PS My illegal.... sorry purchased music is now back in full.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I don't know what you could possibly be suggesting but I know that Chrome has an 'Incognito' Window.
I've never used it but I'm sure someone on here could advise me.:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Mrs T here. Whenever either of us is vacuuming near our PC tower, we put the hose smack on the airholes in the case next to the fan - it's always been essential for towers ever since they were invented. In any event, it still doesn't get rid of all the dust anyway - as you do find out if you ever take the side off for anything.

Last week we had reason to take the plinths/kickboards off our fitted kitchen base units. OMG ! The muck on the floor ! - yet it was one heck of a job to even prise them out, they fit so tightly. I couldn't believe how dirty it was, just pleased we had tiled right to the edges when we did the kitchen - 15 years ago!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back