Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
When driving on a motorway and you want to park in the "Services"... are you a car or a lorry, when driving a Motorhome ?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I tend to go for whichever is most practical. As a 3500k it's classed as a car but sometimes the larger bays make more sense. I try to be considerate and park accordingly. Don't know of any legal requirement.

Wyn

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If there is plenty room among the trucks , I usually go there, to be with a like minded group, but if it looks as if they havnt much room I grin and bear the car drivers:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
When driving on a motorway and you want to park in the "Services"... are you a car or a lorry, when driving a Motorhome ?
I think strictly you are neither, and the fact that this dilemma occurs so frequently in this country shows how poorly we are catered for!

In practice as others have said you just have to consider the circumstances at the time. If poss I try the car parking, if the van fits which often it doesn't. I will go in the HGV park if I have to, but I don't like doing this. It takes an HGV place up which can be an issue. I also feel it is unfair to take an HGV place if it is busy as HGV drivers legally have to stop periodically.
The better services at least have caravan parking which I use if available and there is no motorhome spot. (and under some legislation - the caravan act - a motorhome IS a caravan!)

I never seem to have these problems on the continent!

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Taken from Motorway Services Online http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Parking

Where do caravans, motorhomes and towing vehicles park? All new services are required to have a designated area for caravans and motorhomes. At older, smaller services, this might not be available, in which case it is usually advised that you use the HGV parking areas. Towing vehicles should always use these spaces.

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We try to find a caravan spot but sometimes the direction arrows are really confusing and go for a lorry spot or move on. In spring we were on the M65 going to West Yorkshire and stopped at the services. Tiny car park caravan spaces in with the cars --- and filled with you've guessed it - cars. Found the manager complained but he said he had told head office but they were not interested in changing it. Told us to park in the coach bay . Shucks, filled with coaches and trucks. Parked beside the entrance and hoped we were not on camera!
Not always better abroad, cars and trucks in caravan and MH spaces and in Italy the services are often tiny.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Neither
It's is a MH so goes in the caravan park if that is full I go in the car park.
I drive a lorry for work & there is nothing worse than pulling into the services for a break I legally have to have & do not have the option to go elsewhere only to find it full of cars, vans, motor homes & caravans, it's bad enough coach bays are taking over & truck bays are poorly positioned.
If I'm in the car I go in the car park away from the main building.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The problem is made worse by the one way system in many (but not all) service areas. In quite a few service areas, once you have gone past one area, you can't come back if the next is full, or just doesn't exist.

I never know where to go. With a 6.4m panel van conversion, it's too long for a car space, but is stupidly small in a caravan or HGV space. I don't like to occupy a space that would be better used by a vehicle that really needs it. The small print on the officious parking sign usually says cars only in the car park. Just where a normal 5m commercial van is supposed to go is anybody's guess.

Where I can, I try to chose a car park space where I can hang the back over a grass verge. That way, I more or less fit a space.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Advice from the Highways Agency and MSAs Here. The one thing to definitely avoid is parking in a coach space.

If you see a vehicle other than a caravan or motorhome parked in a caravan bay then report it. If it is a commercial vehicle photograph it and report it to the company.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Advice from the Highways Agency and MSAs Here. The one thing to definitely avoid is parking in a coach space.

If you see a vehicle other than a caravan or motorhome parked in a caravan bay then report it. If it is a commercial vehicle photograph it and report it to the company.
Sorry but would you really do this, I would have thought there is enough wardens and little hitlers without reporting someone for just parking in a wrong bay, it's all Tarmac , nothing in this world would get me to do that, might b......k them(if they were smaller than me;)) but report someone , never.

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I use caravan spaces first, then, Hgv if I really need to stay there for a while..........simply for the length.
use to tow a voltswagen based off road racer - with a landrover,..overall length same as Hymer.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry but would you really do this, I would have thought there is enough wardens and little hitlers without reporting someone for just parking in a wrong bay, it's all Tarmac , nothing in this world would get me to do that, might b......k them(if they were smaller than me;)) but report someone , never.
Yes - and I have, once. Caravan spaces are few enough as it is. On the one occasion two Chubb vehicles were using caravan spaces back to back just so they could transfer stuff from one vehicle to another, even though there were plenty of car spaces (some of which were used by similar vehicles) where they could have parked side by side to do the job. They forced at least 3 caravans to park in the HGV area, potentially causing problems for HGV drivers (as RS_rob mentioned) as well. All through their sheer selfishness and laziness.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Snip

Google maps view of Birchhanger Services (J8 M11) caravan area ....... 9 allocated places - 1 caravan & 5 HGV's :doh:....
Looking at shadows would apear to be late morning .....
we tried to stop here one evening about 10pm with the m/h and car in tow only to find the whole area and the HGV park totally packed with HGV's so we were unable to stop..... very tired & not happy:madder:

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
there is not enough spaces for the trucks.they are shutting down all the truck stops.the councils just don't want them.they say the local people complain.about the noise.but they wont let new ones be built.even out of towns.so we finish up in laybys.or taking up the wrong bays.well that's my moan for the day.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I'm I. One right now Pease Pottage on the M23 & as I've got a 10 metre trailer I'm going n a smaller bay. But this is a poorly marked small services they extended the coach bay a few years ago & the caravans, MH & trucks have to share as the rest is car park.
Its poorly laid out & sometimes impossible to park if you have a trailer of any sort sometimes, its also one of those where if your in a bay your stuck till someone else moves.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Truck drivers, chuggers, tuggers and coach drivers are all complaining so it sounds like just not enough spaces for large vehicles. Are the car spaces all full as well?

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry.....I don't understand... :confused:

What are these "lorry parking spaces" that you all speak of? ;)

STA72243_2.JPG

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm I. One right now Pease Pottage on the M23 & as I've got a 10 metre trailer I'm going n a smaller bay. But this is a poorly marked small services they extended the coach bay a few years ago & the caravans, MH & trucks have to share as the rest is car park.
Its poorly laid out & sometimes impossible to park if you have a trailer of any sort sometimes, its also one of those where if your in a bay your stuck till someone else moves.

Know this services well,.........and totally agree, poxy car/lorry/parking. (poxy services all round, TBH :()

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back