Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Hi there folks,got an annoying intermitant fault on the peugeot immobiliser.
Its a 1999 (V) 2.5 turbo diesel Boxer and its developed an intermittant fault on the factory fitted immobiliser. Putting key in turning ignition taking key out waiting 10 seconds and trying to restart it will immobilise 6 times out of 10. I hate this sort of problem if it dies replace it simplesss if it keeps coming back to life sometimes then it could be anything. helpppppppppppp.
Oh i have red key but no coded smart card.
The key i'm using is an original black key and fault still exists when red key is used.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the receiver for the immobiliser is mounted by the key hole to detect the chip in the key. if this is faulty or has a bad connection or has moved a bit, you will see this sort of intermittent fault. i had the same with another vehicle and just pulling apart the electrical connector and refitting cured the fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It is a common problem - is it actually immobilising, or is the key symbol just coming on?

If turning but immobilising, then it will be a bad connection on the pump end. If not recognising the key, then it will be the receiver on the barrel (plastic ring) which is not reading.

OP
OP
teknik155

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Wow thanks to the Funsters who have replied. Its also great to see that the replies are aimed towards a simple and cheap repair.
Broken Link Removed it is actually immobilising ie not firing and the light is on as well.
When I turn key and light goes out then it starts.
Broken Link RemovedThere is a big bunch of cables going out of a white block attached to column is this the connector you are talking about????

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
remove outer plastic shroud by undoing the screws. behind the lock you will see a couple of connectors with a few wires in each. find the plastic ring round the lock, and check its not loose, then follow the wires from the back to its connector. unplug and plug back in firmly to re-seat the connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ecky

Free Member
Jul 21, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer motorhome
Exp
since the 70s
I too have this problem. stop at railway gates/ long trafic queue, etc, and switch off chance is it wont start again, shows the key code, take key out offer up again, sometimes as much as 8/9 times. Then all of a sudden it reconizes it and away you go. Just done a trip to Wales and on the motorway the key code came on and stayed on for about 10 miles then went out. Havn't had the prob' again yet, (fingers crossed) hope this may have cleared it.( or the lamp is now blown! ) The engine is a diesel so thinking that is why it kept running when the code was showing on the motorway. Any thoughts on this suggestion?? Ecky. Ps. This is my first time on the forum. Hope I have got it right.

OP
OP
teknik155

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Hi there ecky the fiat/ peugeot/Citroën immobiliser has a bad reputation and can cause a lot of problems. Using a local garage they removed the diesel pump, drilled out some security bollts , removed the immobiliser and refitted pump and I now have peace of mind. I already have a strikeback alarm fitted so I still have some security.
The immobiliser comes in 2 bits , the pump and a "ring" on the steering column that reads the key. I replaced the ring first ( cheapest option) didn't solve it so had no option but to take the immobiliser off and reuse the old pump (garage checked it out before replacing it).its not cheap as it is quite labour intensive but I'm happy and wife ain't stressed out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back