Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Ouch!
I fell out of a vehicle at the Shrewsbury show 2 years ago ( no, I wasn't drunk!)
Tendon damage, not broken.

Did they give you advice leaflets at the hospital?

If not, ice your foot by placing ice packs/ bag of peas wrapped in a tea towel on it and around it. Leave for half hour.
Then, with no weight on foot, remove ice and stretch foot to point toes, then flex it left and right SLOWLY and gently--will just be cms at start.
Elevate foot and rest it.

Repeat above every 3 hours. It's laborious, it's boring but it works.
If they gave you leaflets follow instructions in those.
If they issued crutches, use them, it will help recovery.

Mine healed remarkably quickly and far better than I expected but boy did it hurt at the time.
Hope yours mends as quickly.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Many thanks Hollyberry for the advice as no they offered me just the bandage, no leaflets or advice and no crutches so have been using a couple of mismatched walking sticks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
sorry to hear that you still have not fully recovered yet

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Judy said she felt awful just dropping you off at the entrance to the hospital, but there was just nowhere to park... :(

Sounds if your on the mend, all be it slowly.. Take things easy... (y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Many thanks Hollyberry for the advice as no they offered me just the bandage, no leaflets or advice and no crutches so have been using a couple of mismatched walking sticks.
Your ankle looks horrendously swollen--far worse than my foot was. I managed to hobble back to my van and put ice on it. Other Funsters came to the rescue, calling the show paramedic, sorting out my animals and Jeannie of Stephen & Jeannie came to the hospital with me, bless her.
Can't believe they didn't give you advice or crutches!
I was told not to bandage it.
After a couple of days when I could manage without the crutches I put an elastic tube on just so I could take the dogs out. After getting back I removed it and did the ice, stretch the foot gently, rest for 20-30 mins immediately.

You have to keep up the ice-stretch-rest routine ( which takes best part of an hour) for at least 7 days--probably 10.

I think if you do that and there's no improvement after 5,6 days go back to your dr or A&E.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
just read your blog gary and see that you're still down at norden farm after the meet, hopefully your foot will soon totally heal and you'll be back travelling again..
think you made the right decision to stay put though, although i don't think you had much choice under the circumstances, that foot has got to be okay before you set off across the water..
at least you're on a good site with friendly staff faces around..
rather wishing i was down there again at the moment, it was a good meet with lovely friendly helpful people all round, am still smiling at the thought of the friends we all made there.. :)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Glad to hear ankles (slowly)improving, Gary.

You certainly made right decision, (even though I guess ankle made it for you, ) as at least you have given it time to start mending naturally.

Was nice to meet both you and Ann.

Think a few of us are remembering the friends we made at Norden with affection, Dryad.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hi Gary & Ann,
We are back at Norden Farm on the 26th, we might just see you again, I'll have a wander up when we're set up (on the Donkey Field this time) I want to cast my eye over those fields again for next years Rally apparently a fence is going in on the top field effectively splitting it in half so I might look to try put us on the field directly behind the "Posh Field" :) if its going to be a problem. I'll be speaking with Ben the Deputy Campsite Manager & try twist his arm to keep the Rally rates the same for 2015.

Jez

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Judy said she felt awful just dropping you off at the entrance to the hospital, but there was just nowhere to park... :(

Sounds if your on the mend, all be it slowly.. Take things easy... (y)

Judy should not feel bad at all. I am very grateful for the lift and can't thank her enough.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
The foot is well on its way to mending. I can now walk (well hobble) without the cast boot on and actually made it down to have a shower last night so now I don't smell so bad.

The other day I turned the van round to protect the awning from the wind that really doesn't want to let up at all, well except for just long enough to put the awning up again. I feel its playing with us for its own amusement. Found that I can now push the clutch down without pain providing I use the middle of my foot and not the ball (hey whatever works)

We have booked in here at Norden until the 24th where we really do have to go as have to get my youngest son for the UK/Scotland tour.

Judging by my progress I should be just about OK by then (y)

Thanks again everyone who helped us out at our time of need. You lot really are the best and so looking forward to meeting up again next year where I promise to stay away from uneven ground. :D

Gary and Ann

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back