Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Where can I get a decadent size storage box to go onto my bike rack
When we go off to Spain next winter it would be good if we had a decent size storage box as we would probably take more kit with us than we would if we were touring.
I don't want to pay through the nose for fiamma box, is any ideas ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just keep a watch on ebay.. They are on there all the time...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Always worth watching eBay , about a month ago I got a Fiamma ultra box 360 for £200,
it had never been fitted because the person changed their plans.

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
I had the bigger fiamma box attached to a bike rack on my camper and it w as brilliant, it came with the van....you can buy them used on ebay, I loved mine, it fitted the folding table, chairs, levellers, kids play stuff etc, I appreciate they are expensive new but have a nosey on ebay and preloved....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
P1040785.JPG P1040784.JPG

We had one made. Didn't want a Fiamma box, but something more secure. Cliff has fitted ours onto the Tow hitch. (Not sure how he did it, but if you are interested PM me and I will ask him to explain!)

We contacted the chap through Ebay. I think the chap's name was Richard Poulton but just checked on Ebay and it comes up as Metallics UK. Not very pretty, but very secure, and Cliff's adapted it so he can carry the genny in the back and use it without taking it out of the box. £220, custom built 500mm x 600mm x 1m and delivered. Contact him with sizes and he will give you a price.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There are 2 fiamma 360 boxes on eBay at the moment.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Chrisboyo, just seen on eBay a Fiamma Ultra Box 500 for £250

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bought my Fiamma back box ex-display at a show at a good price. It has now been on three motorhomes, quite a bargain.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sod all the fancy boxes get 1 like mine a plastic garden box holds more than a fiamma and about the same price as a fiamma hinge :)
Broken Link Removed

there ya go put it on the rack ratchet it down job done

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
When we go off to Spain next winter it would be good if we had a decent size storage box as we would probably take more kit with us than we would if we were touring.
I have a 'TowBox' ( includes special frame) which attaches to the tow ball
for sale

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't trust these one bit. Defo not as tough or as strong as they'd like you to believe :(

I've lugged these things around in the military for years and, while they're good for internal storage, they're not at all waterproof, or even duct proof come to that, as I found out in Afghan :(

I'm also looking for a box to go on the cycle rack. I guess they're as expensive as they are, due to the sturdy nature, UV protection, waterproof etc :)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Check your rear axle loading before buying. With the overhang so long, you'll put considerably more than the weight of its payload on your rear axle. i.e. 100kg in the box might be 150-180kg on the rear axle. Make sure you've got the leeway first.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I have a fiamma 500 back box that is no longer needed.
I bought it secondhand, so it's well used but still in good condition.
I'm south of Bristol, just over an hour from Newport. Looking for £80 if you're interested.

Attachments

• 053 (2).jpg
    053 (2).jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 77

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just watch you dont overload your rear axle.

And technically........you can only extend the overhang to 60% of your vans wheelbase.

Ie:- wheelbase = 100".....max overhang behind centre of rear wheel = 60"

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
That was cheap

Yes it was and it was offered on MHF but no one was interested.
I also offered my MH, which was sold for £6k under it's lowest retail price but no one was interested.
I guess no one on here can spot a bargain.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We have a Fiamma Ultra 500 box on our bike rack, i dont think i could be without it now (even though i aint a big fan of them lumped on the back of the van) table/chairs/levelers/hose pipe - bags of space ... Got it off eBay and was like new for £150 - with all the fittings an even got the instructions - massive saving !

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Yes it was and it was offered on MHF but no one was interested.
I also offered my MH, which was sold for £6k under it's lowest retail price but no one was interested.
I guess no one on here can spot a bargain.
I wiznae ere or I'd ave snapped thon box aff ye......ower much money all of them that's whits wrang

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What no-one has mentioned is what you actual bike rack will take! You need to find out the weight of the box you intend to put on it, and then deduct that from the maximum weight the bike rack can take and then you've got an idea of the weight of stuff you can put in it ... not ALL bike racks are 'fitted equal'!!! Our camper has a bike rack but it has a 35kg maximum loading capacity and whilst a bike rack on a coachbuilt can usually take more weight, it isn't always the case.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
What no-one has mentioned is what you actual bike rack will take! You need to find out the weight of the box you intend to put on it, and then deduct that from the maximum weight the bike rack can take and then you've got an idea of the weight of stuff you can put in it ... not ALL bike racks are 'fitted equal'!!! Our camper has a bike rack but it has a 35kg maximum loading capacity and whilst a bike rack on a coachbuilt can usually take more weight, it isn't always the case.
That's quite light ...i think mine is 60kg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have seen a few vans with the bike rack fixing bolts pulled through the rear wall by overloading. its far more common and easy to do than many think

plus fitting a box on the back needs to be reported to your insurer too....just saying of course because many people dont bother

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
have seen a few vans with the bike rack fixing bolts pulled through the rear wall by overloading. its far more common and easy to do than many think

plus fitting a box on the back needs to be reported to your insurer too....just saying of course because many people dont bother
But considering the amount of motorhomes with rear cycle carriers fitted that haven't pulled through the rear wall it's safe to say they are in the minority so it points to miss use or serious overloading .......I've had 9 motorhomes now all with rear carriers and none with damage.

Technically every modification you do to a vehicle is recommended to inform your insurance company ......but being a serious modifier for some 20 years I've found most to make very little difference to premiums or claims

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I phoned my insurer the other day to tell them I had fitted air suspension, I was told the only mod they are really interested in is remapping the ecu.
Couldn't be without our back box, I agree it doesn't look that good but it swallows all the awkward bits that don't fit anywhere else.
That's a disadvantage of a u shaped lounge, no garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back