suggest a wifi signal booster? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have a wireless net book but always seem to find myself parked in the part of the campsite that gets a minute wireless signal.
Can anyone suggest a piece of equipment that I can use to boost the wifi signal to a higher power?
I also have a mifi so I could incorporate this - but I'm not hanging it on top of a flagpole in a plastic bag:Smile:

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have the omni iBoost and it's brilliant.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
thanks all.
Site wifi often week and so need a booster for our iPads etc. I realise somewhere you will need to input the site password but there has to be a toy out there that doesn't need a laptop etc ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
thanks all.
Site wifi often week and so need a booster for our iPads etc. I realise somewhere you will need to input the site password but there has to be a toy out there that doesn't need a laptop etc ?

That will be the iboost from motorhome wifi as link posted by larrynwin

Martin

I will second its a good bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A few weeks ago when away with some friends we had ours connected to BT Wifi and 5 devices connected to the iBoost with no noticeable difference in speed

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Question for the iboost owners

Does this have to be fitted? Link shows it on the MH roof

I don't really want another hole drilling in my MH roof or wall

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The antenna sticks to the side of the van with suction cups then the cable comes through a window (which can be closed without hurting the cable) and plugs into the router

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these.Broken Link Removed
works great . in fact use one at home as well.
used it all over spain .portugal and morocco . found lots of free wifi. or use the codes .
why pay more .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yep the omni-directional from Broken Link Removedfor me too.

The antenna sticks to the side of the van with suction cups then the cable comes through a window (which can be closed without hurting the cable) and plugs into the router

Right, thanks for the link and added advice, do I need anything else beside the antenna, I am totally useless at technology but do like to keep in touch so need the internet regularly

Can the antenna be used on its own or do I need something else, I presume that for multi users I need something else, I have a laptop Bev has ipad, we normally connect by using my mobile as a wifi device, but like remote locations and often have little signal, so use site wifi, begrudge paying for 2 connections

Apologies for level of questions, but it is only obvious when you know (y) and even then I will forget unless I order it immediately :doh:

David

willyolly

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Funster No
I second the iBoost as a great bit of kit. Has the advantage of allowing more than one user on sites that charge per user for a single user fee. You connect to the iBoost then log on to the site with the iBoost using the site code then connect your other devices. iBoost has good amplification for weak signals.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Right, thanks for the link and added advice, do I need anything else beside the antenna, I am totally useless at technology but do like to keep in touch so need the internet regularly

Can the antenna be used on its own or do I need something else, I presume that for multi users I need something else, I have a laptop Bev has ipad, we normally connect by using my mobile as a wifi device, but like remote locations and often have little signal, so use site wifi, begrudge paying for 2 connections

Apologies for level of questions, but it is only obvious when you know (y) and even then I will forget unless I order it immediately :doh:

David

Have a look at motorhome wi fi website and you can ask Andy any Q's you may have.
Mike

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

David

The iBoost is more than just the antenna - the antenna is connected to a wireless router which re-broadcasts the incoming wireless signal around your van, just like your wireless router at home broadcasts the signal it gets down the phone line.

You will be parked next to me on Sat., as we both want EHU. Wander over & I'll show you mine. :whistle: Then I'll show you the iBoost as well. :)

There may not be a usable Wifi signal available, but if there is, you can bring Bev's ipad & I'll log that in too & you can share.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi DavidG58

I would go for the directional over the omni directional one, and I never bother putting it outside as you can reverse the bracket so that it sticks to the windscreen or side window from the inside and points out, great bit of kit used it all week at Stratford and 4 days this weekend streaming catch up TV on somebody's BT Fon to the ipad and HDMI to the TV.

Martin

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I like the directional I boost , it gives greater range than the omni version and when you are at the end of a site you stand a better chance of a reasonable signal.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
i use one of these.Broken Link Removed
works great . in fact use one at home as well.
used it all over spain .portugal and morocco . found lots of free wifi. or use the codes .
why pay more .

This uses a USB which is not what were talking about here.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I like the directional I boost , it gives greater range than the omni version and when you are at the end of a site you stand a better chance of a reasonable signal.

How do you identify the best signal direction please ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
How do you identify the best signal direction please ?
If on site it's easy, site the antenna unit inside a window which views towards reception or a transmitting antenna and point your antenna in that direction. Once set up you can watch the signal strength display and adjust direction if necessary.
If looking to pick up BTFon etc then aim in direction of houses etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jims shop ?

Look at the advertising banners on the right JIM'S SHOP.

The aerial plugs into a suitable USB socket but if you have a tablet with no USB you buy the the othe box of tricks as well and plug the aerial into that which then becomes your local WiFi hot spot for several devices at once.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If on site it's easy, site the antenna unit inside a window which views towards reception or a transmitting antenna and point your antenna in that direction. Once set up you can watch the signal strength display and adjust direction if necessary.
If looking to pick up BTFon etc then aim in direction of houses etc.

Thanks for this, I'm ready to buy but the pole one with roof fixing is £269 and is weaker as omni. With your reverse fixing and interior use that sounds a better option to me.
It has a signal indicator does it, that sounds ideal.
I don't have Fon though so guess if non site i just turn slowly and scan ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With your reverse fixing and interior use that sounds a better option to me.

Two problems to consider. You need a window and space inside all pointing in the right direction.

Some of these aerials pump out 1000x more microwave energy than a mobile phone and it's still being debated just what damage this does to humans, so personally I thing a powerful aerial outside with the van shielding you is better than one inside with the van becoming a low wattage microwave cooker.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for this, I'm ready to buy but the pole one with roof fixing is £269 and is weaker as omni. With your reverse fixing and interior use that sounds a better option to me.
It has a signal indicator does it, that sounds ideal.
I don't have Fon though so guess if non site i just turn slowly and scan ?

If you don't have BT broadband it would be worth getting Fon to enable you to get better value from your iboost. I have very rarely been on a WiFi signal that was not Fon (2 camperstops in Spain).

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back