Keep your house plants watered while you are away! (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Soak an old bath towel, the fold it so a few layers rest on a draining board and the rest dangles into the sink/bowl. Fill up the sink (or bowl) with water. Place plants on the wet towel and they will stay damp for 2/3 weeks. For any longer you may need to leave a tap dripping into the bowl :Smile:

OP
OP
TPMM
Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
We are thoughtful employers and allow our domestic staff to take holiday when we do.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Soak an old bath towel, the fold it so a few layers rest on a draining board and the rest dangles into the sink/bowl. Fill up the sink (or bowl) with water. Place plants on the wet towel and they will stay damp for 2/3 weeks. For any longer you may need to leave a tap dripping into the bowl :Smile:

I usually do a similar thing leave the soaked towel in the shower tray with plants sitting on top if we're not away for too long. But will put a plastic basin in as well now, great idea.........I was beginning to get worried about my "prize" spider plants with umpteen babies on each as we're going away shortly :RollEyes:

Margaret

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
We are thoughtful employers and allow our domestic staff to take holiday when we do.:Smile:

we contract out when the maid and butler are away and our neighbours are bought cheaply - anything alcoholic usually...:Smile:

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
think of the cost im on a water meter

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Just'adjusted'our Edinburgh garden into a courtyard garden with Mediterranean planting which enables us to go away at will.Not like our previous place where we would go away a couple of months and then spend at least a fortnight gardening on our return!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We’re fortunate as we have attentive neighbours who top up our garden with empty beer cans so that the knackered washing machine, last years Christmas tree and the old matteress don’t get lonely :LOL:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I'm worried about my strawberry plants in the garden, the wild rabbits are eating everything this year:mad: but I suppose that'll solve the problem of all those juicy strawberries when we set off.
In all the 15 years in this house, we've never seen so many wild rabbits in the garden.......I'm not a happy bunny:mad:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Best to put a bowl in the sink and no plug in the sink (and end of towel in bowl rather than sink) if you are going to leave a tap dripping just in case..... I was looking after next door and they did the "tap dripping onto towel in sink with plug in" thing but the sink was filling faster than the plants were drinking. Luckily I realised and prevented any flooding.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Best to put a bowl in the sink and no plug in the sink (and end of towel in bowl rather than sink) if you are going to leave a tap dripping just in case..... I was looking after next door and they did the "tap dripping onto towel in sink with plug in" thing but the sink was filling faster than the plants were drinking. Luckily I realised and prevented any flooding.
Will leave them in the shower tray, (no plug(y))but they might not last for the time we'll be away....can't see a crying smiley:) I have been known to take plants away on holiday:rolleyes: but these are big and not a good idea.......just as well they have dozens of babies on them, it will keep the line going(y)
Margaret

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Will leave them in the shower tray, (no plug(y))but they might not last for the time we'll be away....can't see a crying smiley:) I have been known to take plants away on holiday:rolleyes: but these are big are not a good idea.......just as well they have dozens of babies on them, it will keep the line going(y)
Margaret

Is there anyone close to you who can pop in and water them for you? I'm near Kelso if that's any help.

I can usually manage to kill off house plants :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The Au Pair does mine. She also waters all our plants! (y)(y)(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

Just leave a tap dripping into the plant :cool:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Just leave a tap dripping into the plant :cool:

Works if you only have one plant so long as it isn't the type that doesn't like being watered from the top (African Violet for example)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've got someone sorted to water out all the plants in pots and tubs outside. I've said she can help herself to the strawberries and the other soft fruits before the birds do:)
She has a big, mad, black labrador and he will take care of the wild rabbits in the garden, but haven't got anybody to care for the house plants sadly......but thanks for the offer just the same(y)
I might leave them in the bath rather than the shower, aahhh, I've just remembered, I've got a capillary matting thing left and that should do the trick. We're planning to be away for at least 3 weeks.......will let you know how things go with the plants:)
Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just thinking again about these house plants.......it was less of a hassle when the children were young and we took the hamster on a caravan holiday....:LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
She has a big, mad, black labrador and he will take care of the

strawberries? Ours used to eat them if we let her.

Why not put the house plants outside as well? They should be okay in July and August.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm worried about my strawberry plants in the garden, the wild rabbits are eating everything this year:mad: but I suppose that'll solve the problem of all those juicy strawberries when we set off.
In all the 15 years in this house, we've never seen so many wild rabbits in the garden.......I'm not a happy bunny:mad:

No, but they are :)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
strawberries? Ours used to eat them if we let her.

Why not put the house plants outside as well? They should be okay in July and August.

I hadn't thought about that, they would be ok if left in the shade. Hubby has just reminded me that we were away for nearly a month before and they survived on the capillary matting in the shower(y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Anyone know how to mow the lawn and weed the drive when away for a couple of weeks :cool::(:cool::( mine seems to grow much faster when i'm away:D:LOL::whistle::whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back