Where shall I stick this ( seriously!) (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
This fell off the door frame of our motorhome today. It cam from the hinge side. I think it forms part of the ( cat 1) alarm system. The sticky fixer has clearly lost it's stick. So, where shall I stick it? On the frme that holds the fly screen, or on the wall of the actual motorhome? It has small arrow in it - which way should the arrow point?

Many thanks in advance for you help

Lynda

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No picture but if it is a grey block then mine fell off the door of my last van. It needs to be stuck back on so that when the door closes it touches the grey block on the frame (or if the one on the door is on, then it is the one that needs to be on the van so that when the door closes they touch). This is what sets your alarm contact. Sorry if this not of use but no picture came on your post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
The arrow should point towards the matching block on the door as far as I know. Rather worryingly the Guy who fitted an alarm on our van said this to me when he was demonstrating it. I think they should be screwed on (there are holes for it) but I guess its quicker to "glue" it on. The one in our backbox has fallen off a couple of times so I will probably drill/screw when he lets me know if its ok to take the mag apart to do this, otherwise the no nails will be coming out.
Ours is stuck on the fly screen frame if that helps.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
hopefully the picture attached this time?

It works like Facebook - upload a file and "choose existing " as long as not bigger than 1 MB

OP
OP
Burrzz
Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
I', struggling to attach a picture, not sure why, probably my computer.

Anyway, thank you all. Mr Copot,I think it does go on the fly screen. Not sure if it has a matching block, which might explain why the alarm doesn't go off if you open the door with it 'on'! If that too was attached with a sticky fixer, I'm not surprised it's gone. As you say, Greygit/Mr Copot, there are holes that suggest it should be screwed on. Maybe as Movan/DuxDeLuxe suggest it simply needs to have the door contacting it. I will investigate further. Again, many thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the block goes on the door and is a movable contact, the fixed contact should have wires coming from it and could be anywhere around the door frame.

OP
OP
Burrzz
Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
Thank you wildman, does the block on the door and this moveable contact need to connect together please?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Door switches for alarm systems are usually reed switches which is a pair of contacts in a small glass capsule. This is usually molded into a plastic block with wire conecting to the alarm system. The contacts are closed when a magnet is brought close to the block and that is the bit that goes on the door. When the door is closed the two plastic blocks (one with the magnet and one with the reed switch) should be in close proximity. The reed switch is closed and the alarm sees the door is shut. More sophisticated systems will use a solid state device called a Hall effect sensor in place of the reed switch. This is not prone to mechanical failure. Neither sensor will wok if the magnet falls off of course!

OP
OP
Burrzz
Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
Thank you for this helpful clarification stevec - this block contains a magnet, so the picture is much clearer now.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 small pot rivet,s job done mine fits on door frame/fly screen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun