Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I want to have the opportunity of being self sufficient so will obviously have an lpg cooker, but if I am on EH on a site what about one of these to use for cooking.

I have looked on line and apparently induction is a far more efficient use of energy for cooking, presumable safer as no naked flame, and I have also read that the burning of lpg produces quite large quantities of water vapour -which would add to condensation problems in a british winter

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi, I think you would be hard pushed to find a site which would not trip the electric as the hob is rated at 2800 watt, spend the money on an extractor over the gas hob.
Mickymouse

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
A single hob would be OK, but as said using both would be near the limit of a 16 amp hook up if you take into account other items is fridge, pump etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi, I think you would be hard pushed to find a site which would not trip the electric as the hob is rated at 2800 watt, spend the money on an extractor over the gas hob.
Mickymouse

Thats why I was looking at the double - one is 1000 and one side in 1800 It has an adjustable heat control and apparently once up to temperature drops back vastly in cosnumputon

I got my pencil and paper out last night and did the sums though I am not sure if I was working it out properly If I divide 1800 by 230 it equals 7.8 presumably that is the amps? (only a very vague idea about electricity)

What is the normal supply on British campsites?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
A single hob would be OK, but as said using both would be near the limit of a 16 amp hook up if you take into account other items is fridge, pump etc

Whoops - I cross posted with you :Smile:

I am probably getting too wound up about all of this, and I think my best idea is to get the wheels first and try everything out. But never having used on before I want to try and get it al least half right before I start, and once on the road will have not that much opportunity of getting extra things I might need

I dont move about all that well so all my shopping for the last few years has been on the internet, but soon I will not have anywhere to have it delivered to, or if I do I may to too far away to collect it.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The big club sites tend to be 16 amp, but many are 10 amp and some as low as 6amp

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I want to have the opportunity of being self sufficient so will obviously have an lpg cooker, but if I am on EH on a site what about one of these to use for cooking.

I have looked on line and apparently induction is a far more efficient use of energy for cooking, presumable safer as no naked flame, and I have also read that the burning of lpg produces quite large quantities of water vapour -which would add to condensation problems in a british winter

We have a cheapo Aldi version. I can't remember consumption but IIRC it's around 1kW. It works well - just remember it won't work with aluminium pans.

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Torrevieja

Mickymouse

Hi, whereabouts in Torre.are you? I lived for 5 yrs. on Residencia Europa (opp. the Windmill on Rond Ricado la Fuente) before returning to uk.
Still miss Spain especially at Xmas time.
Now motorhoming in a Merc.Sprinter conversion and loving it.

regards
Dom Breen
Huddersfield

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
No experience of the above - but we bought a Halogen oven about 4 months ago and have barely used anything else since!
Granted - you need to be on EHU - but the way it cooks is fantastic, and does just about anything, including eggs!!!
Best of all - was only £30 !

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have 2 single induction hobs (worked out cheaper than a double and easier to store for transit) and often run both on 10 amp EHU with no problems.

You rarely ever have it on much more than half power as the heat is instant and the hob cycles so as to maintain the setting and so is off as much as it's on.

Takes some getting used to and some pans have hot spots.

Get the best pans you can afford and you won't regret it.

:Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've no experience of induction hobs. I use gas at home and gas when away (or a petrol Coleman when using the tent).

However, I was intrigued my the many positive (and largely practical) posts regarding using the EHU as much as possible. It makes sense.

So I decided to buy a new electric hob and casually mentioned it to a motorhome friend of mine. He just happened to have a brand new, boxed Russell Hobbs double electric hob that was heading to the charity shop and instead passed it my way.

So that's what I'll try. No outlay, so nothing lost. And careful consideration given to the amps to avoid tripping anything. But very much as a back-up or for additional capacity and not necessarily as a constant. We'll see.

However, on the induction front and for me at least, I'd have to buy induction-friendly pots. The aditional cost of the plate and pots vs the gas savings seem to make this uneconomical in my view unless, I imagine, when using your MH full-time or for extended periods.

I know people such as Dave (Snowbird) use induction a lot (and with good reason) for the extended time they're away.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I bought the single hob this year and it is brilliant. I have never had a problem with the electric tripping yet and it is super repsonsive. Don't forget to get a diffuser to go under your pans!! :thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
You'd have to save a lot of gas to justify the near £80 price. Also unless you already have a good set of stainless steel pans that would be an additional cost. My "camping" pans are aluminium and far too good to throw away.

How about investing in a multi cooker instead? That plus a cheap leccy kettle should be plenty to cook with on EHU unless you are planning on a dinner party for 10. (And if you were you could use the gas hob as well :Smile: )

This looks very useful for the price, and only 600 watts:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've got a single hob 2000 watt - I just run it at about 800 usually. It's not tripped any campsite ehu yet. Being a single it doesn't take up much space and I was lucky in that I had stainless steel saucepans anyway.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have a cheapo Aldi version. I can't remember consumption but IIRC it's around 1kW. It works well - just remember it won't work with aluminium pans.
We have a Lidl induction hob - cost about £30 & always worked well on EHU & saves on gas. Can set wattage as low as 200 so don't have to use on full power if concerns about supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back