Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks to AndyC www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml for the feedback.

Just had this from Chris Graves, Head of Parking & Transport, for the Shared Service Partnership of West Dorset District Council and Weymouth and Portland Borough Council:

Portland Borough Council Partnership has approved continental style Aire point pilot to go ahead in this borough

I've set up a project team of motorhome enthusiasts - all external, which is new in itself - and we're hoping to roll out by Easter. No longer wishing to be held hostage to the fear of travellers and recognising how much more could be done for this motoring group I am determined to make Dorset a focal point for what I see now, as a "drive through" visitor.

I want them to stop, stay, enjoy.

I would love to have an opportunity to discuss this in greater detail (and perhaps meet the external team) - I have had thousands of emails and I think it would be fun if the entire community could in some way have a hand in this project. We're up against it. The culture/attitude in this country seems to be so much different from that on the continent.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Fantastic. My boss has put forward a similar proposal for an aire in Market Harborough. I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the whole process. How you convince the council that it will not be taken over by travellers?
Sandra

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
There was an article in the local paper about this a few weeks ago. Looks as though there is a lot of support for it from local businesses who realise Motorhomers will spend their money locally.

Hopefully other town councils will learn from it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Excellant...

would definateley use that:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fantastic. My boss has put forward a similar proposal for an aire in Market Harborough. I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the whole process. How you convince the council that it will not be taken over by travellers?
Sandra
When we were discussing the Guisborough facility with Redcar & Cleveland Council somebody raised the risk of travellers. It was pointed out that the car/coach park had been open for over 30 years and there had never been a problem. I think the temporary legal order was drawn up such that motorhomes were allowed, towed caravans were strictly excluded and there were measures to enable fast action to be taken against illegal campsites.

Travellers never attempted to use the facility. Trouble is few motorhomers did :cry:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
When we were discussing the Guisborough facility with Redcar & Cleveland Council somebody raised the risk of travellers. It was pointed out that the car/coach park had been open for over 30 years and there had never been a problem. I think the temporary legal order was drawn up such that motorhomes were allowed, towed caravans were strictly excluded and there were measures to enable fast action to be taken against illegal campsites.

Travellers never attempted to use the facility. Trouble is few motorhomers did :cry:

Dam, and I'm off to a guisbourough B&B in a min leaving the camper behind as I couldn't find anywhere to park it:RollEyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dam, and I'm off to a guisbourough B&B in a min leaving the camper behind as I couldn't find anywhere to park it:RollEyes:

Pity about that Paul. If you had contacted the council they might well have let you stay in the car park anyway.

Good luck tomorrow. We were in Guisborough for the farmers market this morning and it was flamin' cold.

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Uk Aires

This is good new's :thumb:

Lets wait until the CC and CACC hears about it and have there two penny worth :Angry:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back