Cheapest Ferry crossing to Ireland (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can anyone tell me the cheapest ferry crossing from uk to Ireland. What port should I take? I am touring England and happy to go north or south as I can see sites along the way. Will probably continue up to scotland when we have finished Ireland.
Thanks
Colin (kiwicoss)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The cheapest used to be Stranraer Larne or Cairnryan Larne, but it could have changed. I have used Liverpool Dublin a few times in recent years but that's not cheap.

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year

Hello mate i got a price from holyhead to dublin £402 rtn for s 7.2 long mh from stranrer £390 rtn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Irish chap in Calais told me a couple of days ago Dublin to Liverpool cost him £420:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes, Liverpool/Dublin is expensive, but not if you live in Liverpool :Smile:. A 460 mile round trip to Stranraer, then another 260 mile round trip from Larne to Dublin is by no means cheap and very time consuming. With fuel costs as they are now some of the more expensive ferries are now working out cheaper and no wear and tear. It all depends where you live and where you are setting off from.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Get a price from Holyhead to Dublin it might be cheaper. Stranraer has closed down. The ferries now run from Cairnryan.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Colin.... There you are..

I thought you had emigrated. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nice to hear your still about after our Africa adventure, sorry cant help on Ireland.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The Holyhead route is just 64 miles.. and I have just checked on the return fares with Stena.. £340..

greedy .. plain and simple, and stopping a lot of folk like me spending our hard earned in Ireland on holiday..
A small country such as Ireland must require as big an influx of tourist money as possible to help with the coffers.. Stena seem bent on stopping people visiting ..

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Get a price from Holyhead to Dublin it might be cheaper. Stranraer has closed down. The ferries now run from Cairnryan.

That's true, but Cairnryan is only a further 6 miles up the loch (Loch Ryan), it won't take you any longer than 10 minutes or so to reach the terminal.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've just checked the cost of a return from Cairnryan to Belfast midweek in September. With an 0400 hour departure from Cairnryan and return from Belfast at 2330 hours it would only cost us £197 with the Caravan Club discount.

But we are up this end anyway and it would only be a 45 minute drive to the ferry terminal.

The cheapest return fare we could see as "non CC members" was around £269, but this was at "anti-social" departure times.

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
F.F.Sake

Go to France ! not so much rain and they welcome motorhomes ! I looked into going to Ireland, too prohibitive, even Calmac aren't as bad as that ! Dick Turpin ferries !!!

Angus dog

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
Just booked a single journey from Larne to Troon £154. I think I read somewhere that we have the most expensive stretch of water in the World.Must write to our MLAs to see if they could do something about that.It might extend them beyound " traditional routes "

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stranraer is still open, just no ferries now! Much easier for us to get parked.

Bill

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Irish Sea has a notorious reputation for being the most expensive stretch of water to cross.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We recently went to Ireland, Fishguard/Rosslare £187 one way booked through CClub for 30ft RV towing 15ft car.
Booked return DunLaoghaire/Holyhead on fast ferry again via CClub with just a few days notice £231 :Eeek:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi there Tonka. Have booked to go to Malvern show and looks like we will meet up with Makams and Suggy and maybe some others from Morocco, so that will be good.
Sounds dear to get to Ireland but I guess if we want to see it then you have to pay the price.... Thanks for the response everyone and I will check them out......see you in an Irish pub somewhere over there and I will shout you a beer.
Colin

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi there Tonka. Have booked to go to Malvern show and looks like we will meet up with Makams and Suggy and maybe some others from Morocco, so that will be good.
Sounds dear to get to Ireland but I guess if we want to see it then you have to pay the price.... Thanks for the response everyone and I will check them out......see you in an Irish pub somewhere over there and I will shout you a beer.
Colin

Colin, if you have Tesco Vouchers I think you can use them towards ferry crossings to Ireland. See you in Malvern - bring your jalaba :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just booked a single journey from Larne to Troon £154. I think I read somewhere that we have the most expensive stretch of water in the World.Must write to our MLAs to see if they could do something about that.It might extend them beyound " traditional routes "

We checked the cost recently for us going from Cairn Ryan to Belfast recently and it was as low as £192 with the CC discount. This was a return fare so pretty good:thumb:

Bill

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We are on the ferry to Ireland at the moment and I paid £450 return for car (driven not towed because of size) and 8.8 m Mh which includes stena plus lounge and priority boarding. We are on a fully flexible fare and are returning on different route. I rang stena and got a good price and am reasonably happy with the fare considering I paid nearly £280 over 10 years ago to take my little Nissan micra across!

Kath

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Go to France ! not so much rain and they welcome motorhomes ! I looked into going to Ireland, too prohibitive, even Calmac aren't as bad as that ! Dick Turpin ferries !!!

Understand that but as a Kiwi tourer you have to visit as many countries as I can and Ireland is one of them. If I only wanted to see countries that were cheap and easy, probably would not have left NZ. Certainly England is not wild camp motorhome friendly but there are nice places and have found good spots to wild camp. Just have to see as many as I can before we have to go home

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just booked a single journey from Larne to Troon £154. I think I read somewhere that [HI]we have the most expensive stretch of water in the World[/HI].Must write to our MLAs to see if they could do something about that.It might extend them beyound " traditional routes "

I think the French are trying for that noteriety. Just 3 miles or so of the Gironnde estuary.
Took me ages to get the wallet out, but long way to Bordeaux and back up the other side.

Tariff for single crossing
The figures below are given as an indication. The applied tariffs are those in force at the time of the crossing.
Passenger: 3.20 Euro
no charge for children below 4
Car (not including driver) 23,40 Euro
Caravan:
length above 3 meters: 23,40 Euro
length below 3 meters: 10.80 Euro
Camping-car (not including driver) 40,60 Euro :Eeek:ANY SIZE
Bicycle (not including cyclist) 1.70 Euro
Motorcycle (not including motocyclist) 10.60 Euro

No booking
For any further information, please contact the following:
Local maritime service
LE VERDON phone 33 (0) 5 56 73 37 73
ROYAN phone 33 (0) 5 46 38 35 15
Service Maritime Départemental
19 avenue du Phare de Cordouan
33123 Le Verdon Sur Mer
Tel : 33 (0)5 56 73 37 73
Fax : 33 (0)5 56 73 37 70

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Ferry to Ireland

I travel quite regularly between Scotland and Ireland using Stenaline out of Cairnryan to Belfast.it normally costs around £230 return but you have to book a good week before the crossing as the price goes up dramatically the closer you get to the sailing date.
I can recommend stopping overnight in the apple green service station just south of Dundalk, they don't seem to mind you stopping overnight, it's about 90 mins from the ferry if you are heading south.
Also nice site at Rush north of Dublin, or Camac Valley site actually in Dublin is open all year and has good Internet connection.
Hope you have a good time over there, I've found the people very friendly and accommodating, look forward to going back, lol
Also check out safe nights Ireland which gives you hundreds of places you can stop for a couple of nights for around 10 euros per night!
Hope this helps

John

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi, i am on the ferry at the moment returning from rosslare- fishguard. 7.5 mtr van towing fiat panda on a-frame. Came out at end of august with irish ferries for £170 single and booked this crossing last week with stena for £168. Didnt think it was too bad. All the best sean

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hi we go across to watch the road racing and always use nutt travel www.nutttravel.com check out the specials ie motorhomes, always gone on a bike but worth a try.
Dave.

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just got a special rate for me the dog and a JCB.only joking

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We happened to stop at the the visit Ireland stand whilst at last years caravan/motorhome show & the very helpful chap there gave us a leaflet containing a discount code for "Irish Ferries" (available at the show only I think) and said we could get it cheaper if we travel on a week day.
Sure enough we secured a booking from Hollyhead to Dublin Tues 14 May return Tues 28 May Rosslare to Pembroke. 2 adults + dog in 6.3 metre motorhome for £218.
It would have been even cheaper but we paid a £9 supplement to arrive & leave from different ports.
Needless to say we will be visiting the Visit Ireland stand again at this years show!:thumb:

spotsy

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Hi there,

The Motorcaravanners Club ( MCC ) have an an offer to members for Ireland via Stena Line ferries for £175.00. Join the club for a year then you will save .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back