victron or nasa ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Morning all,

I'm after some sort of battery montior , used to have a nasa BM1 compact in old van, but
looking for something for new one, the prob i had with bm1 compact was that the shunt was only 100amp so the inverter never went through it (1800watt inverter).

So Nasa do BM2 with a 200amp shunt, but i have no where to fit it because of size, victron 600, has 500amp shunt and unit is smaller. but is a bit more technical:RollEyes::RollEyes:.

Does anybody know if i connect a bm1 with 100amp shunt with the inverter, will it just not reading correctly or with it melt, overheat ????.

Or can i connect a bm1 compact with a bm2 shunt?.

i know what the nasa can do, anybody got an victron to comment on?

Karl

karl

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had both Victron and NASA and the Victron one is miles better.
I don't rate the NASA one (which I have now).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ive got the NASA BM1,
great piece of kit :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
I have only ever used the NASA BM1 and yes i do use it with a 3k watt inverter..
regards
Alan

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I have only ever used the NASA BM1 and yes i do use it with a 3k watt inverter..
regards
Alan

DMS, What happens when you use with inverter, flames, smoke::bigsmile:::bigsmile:, or can the shunt handle it but not display correctly???

I have had both Victron and NASA and the Victron one is miles better.
I don't rate the NASA one (which I have now).

Gromett, Why don't you rate the nasa compared to the victron???

karl

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
DMS, What happens when you use with inverter, flames, smoke::bigsmile:::bigsmile:, or can the shunt handle it but not display correctly???

Gromett, Why don't you rate the nasa compared to the victron???

karl

Lots of little niggles. Like it shows 104% charge. You have to learn its little foibles to get accurate usage out of the device. I am forever having to zero it. It doesn't appear to calculate peukert's correctly also.

I have had this one a while now. I can't remember all the difference I just know that I was seriously disappointed with it in the first year but am now coping with it's issues. I do however keep forgetting to zero it when I take it off hookup which can cause issues as I don't know the actual charge state the next day if I have used the battery overnight which is really the whole point of the device.

I effectively now mainly use it as a volt meter.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Victron is more accurate than the NASA, works properly with solar panels and has a 500amp shunt so remains accurate when using an inverter that draws over the 100amp NASA shunt.

That in itself doesn't cause any real issues, it is just that the NASA cannot calculate the amps used as it is overloaded. So it becomes incorrect, ergo, a battery computer that doesn't know the state of the batteries:RollEyes:

On the Van Bitz exhibition support unit, we fitted a NASA system (before we new about 104% charging and the rapid re-calculation and alarming power fluctuations after solar charging) It works, does as we need and as Grommet said, we've got use to it. Would I have it changed? no, If it went wrong would I replace it with another NASA? no.

When I had my own van kitted out last year, I fitted the Victron unit and am pleased as punch with it.

Eddie

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am with Eddie on this one. I won't be buying a victron to replace the existing NASA. But if it breaks or I get a new van I wouldn't buy one again I would get the Victron.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
thanks for all the replies, questions for eddie, do you sell the victron, do you keep them in stock?

I am asking because i am coming to somerset tommorow for a few days away so could come & collect.

Karl

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes we do have them in stock and remember as you are a Funster you get 10% off our products ::bigsmile:

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back