Modified or pure? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I aim to buy a 1000w inverter and can see that pure sine wave inverters are much dearer than modified sine wave inverters so I am guessing the pure ones are better but can someone tell me what is the difference and is it best to pay the extra?

The main reason I need it is to power my low wattage travel hairdryer as it is clear from the forum that 12V hairdryers are only good for drying the back of stamps! :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are only using a hair dryer than the modified will be fine.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
If you are only using a hair dryer than the modified will be fine.

but if i have an inverter installed it seems logical it will be used for other things so do you know what kind of appliances need the pure as opposed to the modified? ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have been using a 2kw modified inverter in my trailer for about 8 yrs . never found anything that didnt work on it . unless they were really big power suckers . it went wrong the other day .i bought a cheap one from ebay . again does every thing it says on the box . fridge ,computer,telly ariel drills washing machine . . i think modified is ok . others say not but i find it ok

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
modern electronics don't like modified sine wave of any source...Jennie or inverter.

Laptops, TV,s etc can't be damaged.

Now the tech bit in its most basic form:Doh:

Draw a straight line on a piece of paper.
Now draw a box on top of the line and another below the line but directly after the first....repeat along the line.

This is a square wave form...electrically speaking, the 'dirtiest' form of electric....heating elements will work fine but usually not motors etc

Next, draw what looks like a bicycle helmet then another below and upside down as in the square wave..

This is a modified wave form.......cleaner than a square wave but not clean enough for electronics....heating appliances and some motors Will work fine

Next draw a half circle in place of the box or helmet then as before.

This is a pure wave form and everything likes a pure wave....same as your house electric.

Incorrect waveforms can cause excessive heat to be generated in an appliance or motor.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I accept what John says.

However I have never had a problem, I have charged laptops iPads and everything else for 8 years +
I've used all sorts of inverters cheap and expensive. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I do have an inverter wired into the van. Its 2kw pure sine wave. I only use it for the microwave and hairdryer. Everything else is charged by 12 volt, laptops, tablet, phones and the TV are 12 volt.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I accept what John says.

However I have never had a problem, I have charged laptops iPads and everything else for 8 years +
I've used all sorts of inverters cheap and expensive. :Smile:

but do you use the appliances while being charged Paul ?

Big difference between running a processor on an unclean power source and simply charging a battery on one.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
but do you use the appliances while being charged Paul ?

Big difference between running a processor on an unclean power source and simply charging a battery on one.

John I have always used them whilst on charge over many years. I have had the kids in the back playing on laptops and watching films whilst I drive. There is nothing we haven't used, even the Xbox and sky box at some point.

The inverter I'm using at present is a sterling 1800w modified sine wave inverter. If you read their explanation of pure v modified, they say it doesn't matter these days and give an explanation, of course they are selling the inverters, but we're happy :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John I have always used them whilst on charge over many years. I have had the kids in the back playing on laptops and watching films whilst I drive. There is nothing we haven't used, even the Xbox and sky box at some point.

The inverter I'm using at present is a sterling 1800w modified sine wave inverter. If you read their explanation of pure v modified, they say it doesn't matter these days and give an explanation, of course they are selling the inverters, but we're happy :thumb:

Sterling is a well respected and recommended company who know their stuff so I would think their mod sine inverter will be a damned sight closer to pure wave than the cheap Chinese inverters.
You get what you pay for :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've used modified for years charging and using laptops and tablets. Always plugged into a surge protector though. They work fine:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can only agree with paul. i have a laptop with a knacked battery i have to keep charging it all the time i use it . in fact i have two like it .both havent shown any fault yet.
i understand what your saying ,but the only thing i have come across that doesnt like some inverters is a mates fridge . a small table top one . works a treat on a cheap chinese inverter bought in morocco for twenty quid . but plays up on some others . worked on my old ring inverter .
all mine work a treat . i just bought an under-counter fridge freezer for the truck .but only bought it after testing it .
i,m sure other things might be troublesome but havent really found it a prob. myself .
john you have seen mine from ebay .it works and it was a cheap chinese . mind so was the ring inverter.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've used modified for years charging and using laptops and tablets. Always plugged into a surge protector though. They work fine:thumb:

never thought of that Jim :Doh:

Mod and square are susceptible to spikes, which is probably what causes the damage, and that will obviously iliminate them :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do use one of them bought for a few quid in asda . maybe thats the secret.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
600W modified sine-wave has been brilliant for all the usual electronics only problem is I've burnt out two Braun electric toothbrush chargers in 3-months. Coincidence? Never has one fail at home in 15-years.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think these days you can get manual tooth brushes . that stops that happening . hee hee
yes i have heard of that problem . but my manual one is ok . :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
600W modified sine-wave has been brilliant for all the usual electronics only problem is I've burnt out two Braun electric toothbrush chargers in 3-months. Coincidence? Never has one fail at home in 15-years.

I don't think coincidence....
Some chargers, including on-board chargers on mod sine generators, don't get on with modified wave

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
modern electronics don't like modified sine wave of any source...Jennie or inverter.

Laptops, TV,s etc can't be damaged.

Now the tech bit in its most basic form:Doh:

Draw a straight line on a piece of paper.
Now draw a box on top of the line and another below the line but directly after the first....repeat along the line.

This is a square wave form...electrically speaking, the 'dirtiest' form of electric....heating elements will work fine but usually not motors etc

Next, draw what looks like a bicycle helmet then another below and upside down as in the square wave..

This is a modified wave form.......cleaner than a square wave but not clean enough for electronics....heating appliances and some motors Will work fine

Next draw a half circle in place of the box or helmet then as before.

This is a pure wave form and everything likes a pure wave....same as your house electric.

Incorrect waveforms can cause excessive heat to be generated in an appliance or motor.

I learn more on here, than i do all day listening to the radio:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My 2000w Ring MSW doesn't do my Senseo coffee machine at 1450w. Might eventually boil but gives up when the dispense button is pressed. Ok on the kettle which is only 900w, perhaps the Senseo is too sensitive? :Smile:

Oh yes, having just returned from our France/Swiss trip I have to confess that the fuss about storing an extra gas bottle horizontally from 6 weeks or so back was unnecessary, we just about used the 6kg and never touched the 13kg let alone an extra one. :Doh:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thankfully I have never been asked to provide hairdryer power (yet) so we manage with just a 150W pure sine wave inverter to charge / run small appliances. I chose pure sine wave since the price premium was not too great for a small unit and wanted to ensure it would work on anything.
I believe things like toothbrushes that use inductance charging, and anything with an induction motor might not like a modified sine wave. Also, I have read several reports of modified wave inverters 'frying' GHD Hair Straighteners, which, I understand, are rather costly items and often cherished by the lady owners.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
My 2000w Ring MSW doesn't do my Senseo coffee machine at 1450w. Might eventually boil but gives up when the dispense button is pressed. Ok on the kettle which is only 900w, perhaps the Senseo is too sensitive? :Smile:

That's because MSW inverters are about 70 to 75% efficient.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
well this has given me lots of useful info which I really appreciate. As I love my electric toothbrush I will err on the side of caution and look for a not to expensive pure sine wave inverter. :thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
and look for a not [HI]to[/HI] expensive

Ooh grammatical error!! Not [HI]too[/HI] expensive. Phew :Doh:

tut tut the grammar police will be knocking on your door :ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I believe things like toothbrushes that use inductance charging might not like a modified sine wave.

Exactly so. I have a 200w pure sine wave Sterling inverter that I use to charge my electric toothbrush - it just plugs straight into a 12v socket. Some shavers also use inductive charging so these would need pure sine too. I also use it to run my electric blanket (waiting for cries of 'wuss' :winky:) as its electronic controller would otherwise be damaged. The 1kw modified sine wave Silverline inverter is used to run my hairdryer. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Oh yes, having just returned from our France/Swiss trip I have to confess that the fuss about storing an extra gas bottle horizontally from 6 weeks or so back was unnecessary, we just about used the 6kg and never touched the 13kg let alone an extra one. :Doh:

Strangely enough my factory fitted 2kv pure sine wave wont run my Sensio coffee machine but will run the microwave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back