world travellers stay in touch (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Interesting idea Bigfoot. From experience they have very expensive running costs for a normal domestic user. That being said, if your travelling in remote areas, they can be a life saver. You would need to weigh up the cost versus risk level. I note quite a few members travel around N. Africa, perhaps that type of product might come into my planning as a fall back option in dire circumstances if I was over there.

The particular provider, "Thuraya" has some blackspots and limitations that you would need to be aware of before investing in one. Iridium is a more favoured system.

This is the Wiki extract on costs.

The cost of making voice calls from a satellite phone varies from around $0.15 to $2 per minute, while calling them from landlines and regular mobile phones is more expensive. Costs for data transmissions (particularly broadband data) can be much higher. Rates from landlines and mobile phones range from $3 to $14 per minute with Iridium, Thuraya[19] and INMARSAT being some of the most expensive networks to call. The receiver of the call pays nothing, unless he is being called via a special reverse-charge service.

Making calls between different satellite phone networks is often similarly expensive, with calling rates of up to $15 per minute. Calls from satellite phones to landlines are usually around $0.80 to $1.50 per minute unless special offers are used. Such promotions are usually bound to a particular geographic area where traffic is low. Most satellite phone networks have pre-paid plans, with vouchers ranging from $100 to $5,000.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
havent found a country in north africa that you cant use your mobile . in fact the more desolate in the desert the better signal you get . i find theres more dead spots close to a busy big town than in the wilds .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
havent found a country in north africa that you cant use your mobile . in fact the more desolate in the desert the better signal you get . i find theres more dead spots close to a busy big town than in the wilds .

I agree we got fantastic coverage in the more remoter parts of Mongolia!
The original sat phone system was Iridium but with a lack of uptake they 'dropped' some of the birds to burn out on re-entry. There was a rescue bid but now I think it won't belong until we see some more shooting stars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back