Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have read some threads on here regarding air suspension however i have been getting very mixed answers from dealers / fitters etc. I was told by one dealer/fitter that i wouldnt benefit from air suspension on a van of my size.Another supple/fitter has told me i would benifit alot from having a system fitted .Very confused regarding the issue and obviously dont want to waste my money if its the case i wouldnt benefit.I know its an expensive item but i plan on keeping the van for a number of years and why not make life a little easier and more comfortable.Has ayone else with a similar sized van had the experience? Sundance 590 approx 6-5m.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Had air suspension fitted to my Chieftain work well it will raise the back end by 150mm:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have air assist on the rear of my 7500kg RV and it needs it too.

raises the rear by around 3" and stops the rear end 'bouncing'

the more important advantage is better straight line stability in cross winds and trucks/coach's overtaking at speed.

in my opinion any motorhome will. improve with air assist..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On a 6.5m van it probably would not make a lot of difference unless your springs are weak/back end sagging. It can make a big difference on a longer, heavier van though.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
These are all the things ive read so cant understand why he told me it wouldnt benefit from it.:Confused:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
On a 6.5m van it probably would not make a lot of difference unless your springs are weak/back end sagging. It can make a big difference on a longer, heavier van though.

Not even in terms of cross winds etc ? I also read it can be useful for levelling up.?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Reallyretired has hit the nail on the head. If your rear springs are showing signs of weakness i.e. the bump stops are close or touching the chassis (which manifests itself in very poor handling around corners/roundabouts etc) then air assistance will make a big difference. I have a 6.1m van and the springs were tired. JCD motor repairs of Sennybridge fitted an air assistance kit from Marcle leisure and it now handles like a F1 car (OK I exaggerated a little). The extra lift could also be useful when embarking/disembarking a ferry ramp. I do not have a built in compressor (too tight to part with the cash) so I got a smaller tyre inflator which inflates the air bags in a couple of minutes. If you need anymore detail please let me know.

TECHNO100 produced an excellent fitting guide see Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Reallyretired has hit the nail on the head. If your rear springs are showing signs of weakness i.e. the bump stops are close or touching the chassis (which manifests itself in very poor handling around corners/roundabouts etc) then air assistance will make a big difference. I have a 6.1m van and the springs were tired. JCD motor repairs of Sennybridge fitted an air assistance kit from Marcle leisure and it now handles like a F1 car (OK I exaggerated a little). The extra lift could also be useful when embarking/disembarking a ferry ramp. I do not have a built in compressor (too tight to part with the cash) so I got a smaller tyre inflator which inflates the air bags in a couple of minutes. If you need anymore detail please let me know.

Understood, now i know where he was coming from.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes IMV it will make quite a difference to the handling on ANY coachbuilt. We had it put on our Rimor Sailer 645TC which was 7.14m long and it really improved its handling tremendously, we then got a Chausson Flash 04 at 5.99m long and whilst it wasn't anything like the Rimor, we did have it put on that too as it 'swayed' a bit due to the wheels being inset under the coachbuilt body so it had a bit of sway and roll, again it improved it a lot. We now have a PVC and therefore don't feel the need for it again as the ride is very good anyway.

If you are happy with the way your MH handles then I wouldn't bother, but if you do find it tiring due to the sway, especially when cornering, going round roundabouts etc, then you'll appreciated the vast improvement that air ride assistance suspension gives. It does also reduce the sway and buffering you experience on motorways etc when wagons go by and also if there are crosswinds, especially since you've got a large overcab on your MH.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I fitted the same system as Taran lass to my first CI it was 6.2 meters long. To my knowledge there was no issue with the springs as the van was only 3 years old.

It made such a difference it was unreal. Less roll in to roundabouts, less buffeting by lorries for sure and I could if required raise the back end a little although not designed to do that.

I liked it so much, and it made such a difference, I sold the van and brought a new one with in 4 months, before In fact I had had and paid the bill :Doh: much to Mrs Haganaps annoyance. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Sorry to keep on about this topic , however I've been reading more write ups.I appreciate what everybody has said and the fact that some say i wouldn't benefit greatly on a van of my size.People have also written that it would often be fitted to aid worn out leaf springs and lift the rear end to restore original height.My mind has been ticking and im thinking would the fitting of a partial air ride suspension (looking at the Dunlop at £358 ) not aid in stopping the deterioration of the springs,which ive read is quite a rapid process.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Sorry to keep on about this topic , however I've been reading more write ups.I appreciate what everybody has said and the fact that some say i wouldn't benefit greatly on a van of my size.People have also written that it would often be fitted to aid worn out leaf springs and lift the rear end to restore original height.My mind has been ticking and im thinking would the fitting of a partial air ride suspension[HI] (looking at the Dunlop at £358 )[/HI] not aid in stopping the deterioration of the springs,which ive read is quite a rapid process.

I think this is the system most are referring to - it's the system I have and it made a big difference, my van was 8 years old 7m long:thumb:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I am just thinking along the lines of prevention being better than cure as no plans to sell in the near future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back