Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hopefully someone can help with this.

A friend of mine has bought a Transit on a K reg as a project.
It has been converted inside and has the usual creature comforts.
He tells me that it has windows fitted but is still on the V5 as a van.

What does he need to do to get it registered as a MH/Van conversion.

Thanks in ad van ce ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi he will need pics of inside, and outside showing number plates,from back and front,then send v5 off showing a change to MOTOR CARAVAN --THIS MAY OR MAY not result in a vosa inspection -to pass vosa he needs , 2 ring min cooker bed or seat to convert in a bed, sink, cupboard and a table -plus it now has to look like a m/h
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

List of possible answers search

[HI]Edit[/HI]
Ill see if I can find some more and edit

What makes a 'Motor Caravan'?

For a vehicle to qualify as a 'Motor Caravan' in the UK in the eyes of the DVLA the following permanent fixtures must be present:

Sleeping Accommodation
There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms
The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)
The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.
Door
There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.
Seats and Tables
There must be a seating area for diners to sit around
The table can be fixed or detachable
The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls
The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded. The table itself can be detachable.
Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls
The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table
Water Container
Note: DVLA do not state any requirements regarding water storage. However, most insurance companies state that the water tank should be onboard, or under the chassis. However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan.
The vehicle must have an onboard or external (e,g, under the chassis) water container
Note: The insurer Adrian Flux requires the water container to hold 6 gallons / 27 litres.
Storage
The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe
The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area
The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls
Cooking
The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven
The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings. Microwave ovens must have a power source (don't just fit one that can't be used)
Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure
Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies should have the gas bottle, fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure
Outside
The vehicle must have at least one side window
New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required. More information will appear here when available.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I'm not sure that it will meet all of the criteria that you have supplied, but he is at my house tomorrow and I can show him your posts and see what he says.
Given the age of the van, and not having seen the interior, I would be doubtful of it being built to van conversion spec, especially as it has not had its V5 description changed.

Might be more of a project than he wanted. ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't go panicking ::bigsmile: chances are he will have a seat, come bed and cooker aready in :thumb: If the cooker and or sink is mounted into a cupboard this can be enough to double up as a wardrobe ::bigsmile: Water can simlpy be contained in a 1 or 5 gallon placcy bottle with a very simple 12v pump.If a gas bottle is used then it needs to be in a supposed metal lined cupboard with drop vents.
My mate and I could easy knock a basic van up in the day to pass the inspection ::bigsmile: not that you would want it :winky:
Terry

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thank you for the replies.
I have worked out that it is an EMC conversion, and I believe that they no longer exist.

We will do our best to work out what is, and isn't, working on the van and fix or replace as we go along.
Notice this has now turned into "we".
Guess who got roped in to help. Expect a load of stupid questions in the future. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When i was down the local DVLA office, there was a notice on the board that caught my eye about changes to SVA tests. It caught my eye as there was a camper displayed.

Indeed it added that self builds would require SVA testing from January. I couldn't find anything online, so may be worth calling your local one and asking - before they are all shut down for good!

I do know that a self build needs 'plating' or a weight type approval certificate - not sure how you would obtain that, presumably weighing at a weigh bridge and deducting from original max.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We ::bigsmile: don't get stuck on welding fixing etc, the fixing of units could be as simple as a screw into either side wall or floor, or even clips so that unit can be fastened in place and removed if you need to use the van as a van.
I have seen vans with a small student kitchen, and bed seetee from Ikea held in place with a couple of screws::bigsmile: tell him,Either spend money and do it right or keep the van as a shed :Smile: it will still pass the vosa requirements ::bigsmile:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back