Insurance and 365 days cover european insurance (1 Viewer)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Quite often on here I see members asking who will cover the vehicle in europe for more than 60 or 90 days.

If you are a member of the Caravan and Camping Club they state 365 days foreign travel - copied from their website

Exclusive motorhome insurance benefits for Club members who insure with Club Care are:

• A 5% discount on your insurance policy
  • 365 days European Foreign use Cover
  • £3,500 Personal Effects cover
  • £5,000 Personal Accident Cover
  • Club Care will offer a quote no matter what the make and model
Now i dont know how their prices compare but for some it might be worth checking it out maybe it is worth the £40 yearly membership for not only the 365 cover but also their sites and small 5 van sites

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Make sure that you read the small print.
I am sure it has been covered on here, but 365 days does not necessarily mean all in one go. That is full-timing.
It usually means that you are covered for the year to go on your holidays, but there is often a time limit, ie 30 days, that you are covered for in one go.
Worth checking, just for peace of mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
SAGA do 365 days, not as expensive as the club.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
U also need 365 days breakdown cover and I know that the breakdown cover of the C&CC is only 90 days or it was when we first went abroad. We now go for 6 months at a time so need something over 180 days so at the moment we are insured with Caravanguard. Also because we have an RV the breakdown cover has not got to have any limitations for length or weight and their breakdown cover has this.

Will be worth checking with them though when we come to renewal time cos they may have changed their policy.

Regards Brian and Chris

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
U also need 365 days breakdown cover and I know that the breakdown cover of the C&CC is only 90 days or it was when we first went abroad. We now go for 6 months at a time so need something over 180 days so at the moment we are insured with Caravanguard. Also because we have an RV the breakdown cover has not got to have any limitations for length or weight and their breakdown cover has this.

Will be worth checking with them though when we come to renewal time cos they may have changed their policy.

Regards Brian and Chris

I'm with them too for the same reasons.
Their quote was higher than a few this time round, so rang them back and told them. They came back with a reduced price and got my trade again. :thumb:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
365 Days Cover and Breakdown

This is exactly what I have been looking for. When I quizzed SAGA over this their European Cover was not as they implied. In order to take cover with them you must be a UK resident. Once you are away from the UK for more than 6 months you lose that status and consequently invalidate the insurance. Having searched several companies I eventually found cover through Adrian Flux that will give 365 days cover. As far as breakdown the best I could do in UK was with the AA 350 days at £210 then I found ADAC a German company giving 365 days for Europe including UK for 98€. This cover is for me and my wife and covers us in any car.

Hope this helps

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
This is exactly what I have been looking for. When I quizzed SAGA over this their European Cover was not as they implied. In order to take cover with them you must be a UK resident. Once you are away from the UK for more than 6 months you lose that status and consequently invalidate the insurance. Having searched several companies I eventually found cover through Adrian Flux that will give 365 days cover. As far as breakdown the best I could do in UK was with the AA 350 days at £210 then I found ADAC a German company giving 365 days for Europe including UK for 98€. This cover is for me and my wife and covers us in any car.

Hope this helps

You simply do not lose your UK residency once you are out of the country for six months.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
You simply do not lose your UK residency once you are out of the country for six months.

It's not residency that you lose.
Some insurance companies view that more than 6 months means you are not living at your UK address, which is part of the terms of a UK policy.
They can also interpret it as full timing, which is a different policy again.

It's a minefield, so always check that you will be covered for what you intend to do BEFORE you go away anywhere long term.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
ADAC for the basic policy the one with the plus cover only covers you for 90 days I think, it might be worth while check that out to see if it covers you longer

Pat

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
insurance cover

Hi all also check house insurance some state house not to be left empty for more than 4 weeks at a time Thanks Bernie:winky:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I am in the process of looking for some yearly personal travel insurance
Being over 65 it seems that the prices have shot up

Anyone got any reasonably prices suggestions ?

Thanks Funsters

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
It's not residency that you lose.
Some insurance companies view that more than 6 months means you are not living at your UK address, which is part of the terms of a UK policy.
They can also interpret it as full timing, which is a different policy again.

It's a minefield, so always check that you will be covered for what you intend to do BEFORE you go away anywhere long term.

Exactly. I recently took insurance for what I thought was a reasonable premium considering the sum insured and it included 365 days on the continent with no limit on the length or number of trips. Great I thought! But it niggled me so I asked them to double check what it actually meant with the insurance company, the ubiquitous Aviva. It didn't cover me for really long trips but there was no definition to say so. And there isn't still. Simply put, and I'm not quoting anyone here but it appears that the 365 days in Europe simply means that whenever you decide to take a trip across the channel for your hols you are covered and do not need to make special arrangements with the insurance company like in the old days. If you intend to spend a long time and I guess that means anything longer than say a 'normal' holiday, say two or three weeks, then it's a whole different risk to the insurer.

So, I upped my policy to a full timers to be sure that I was covered. I do intend to spend more than a few weeks abroad and in fact have little idea when I shall return but it will be this year when I've had enough. But I'm not full timing.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
UK Residency and Insurance

Without doubt if you have a home in the UK you would consider yourself a UK resident. I think the confusion is more to do with UK residency status. Many insurers gauge this as spending at least six months at that address. Consequently if you are away from the UK for more than six months during the insurance period they will deem that you have lost the residency status. The same applies with home insurance. For example if you want to insure a second home or holiday home insurers will want to know the proportion of time spent at each address. That way they will calculate the risk of insuring both properties. This of course will incorporate several risk factors such as post code and local crime rate. Where they become uneasy is where unoccupancy occurs. If you have a close relative at the house while you are away then the risk is much less than if the house is empty. As far as holidays are concerned insurers will allow a maximum period away from home without charge, they will also extend this period for an increased premium,however, there is a point at which they will apply unoccupancy clauses. This could, for example, reduce the cover to perhaps a fire risk only. There is no hard and fast rules for this so you need to check with your company but in every case you do need to check first and keep them informed

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Will I be covered in Europe?
Here at Comfort Insurance we know motorhomes; we enjoy travelling in motorhomes just like you do. We also know that you'll very likely want to enjoy all that Europe has to offer, which is why we include EU cover for 365 days of the year. You won't have to cut your European trip short, just because your insurance policy doesn't cover you for that amount of time. Neither will you have to worry about breaking down, because motorhome insurance from Comfort can include breakdown cover in both the UK and Europe.
from their website i have just renewed with them i will check the small print but remember 1 question they do ask u is are you fulltiming
and also will you live in the mh more than your house

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back