Leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Question when should I change my battery it's 5 years old when touring I'm normally on 240 volt but want to change to wild camping And should I get 2

Bill

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Get two new batteries and treat them to a battery maintainer. Use this continuously when at home.

Avoid flattening the battery when possible - but don't be religious about it. Life is too short.

Have fun!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Aaargh! I've got one that has failed and I was just going to replace it! :cry: Two! :cry: :cry::Doh:

SAME HERE, WE COULD MAKE A PAIR BETWEEN US. BUSBY. Why does one fail?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is there a big benefit for going for 2 and what should be the Average price.

depends on your average electric useage...if you're a very light user, no TV and minimal lghting etc or only use campsites with hookup then you maybe wont benefit from a second battery.

if spend time 'off grid' then the more reserve battery power you have the longer you can stay off hookup.

I have 4 x 110amp batteries giving me 220amps usable power (only discharge to 50%) but as a relatively heavy user (rv's eat power :Sad:) we can get 3 to 4 days when the sun is too weak to get any real charge from the solar panel

price !
normally, as with anything, the more you pay the better the quality...but not always.
£70 to £80 is average for a 110ah lead/acid battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
depends on your average electric useage...if you're a very light user, no TV and minimal lghting etc or only use campsites with hookup then you maybe wont benefit from a second battery.

if spend time 'off grid' then the more reserve battery power you have the longer you can stay off hookup.

I have 4 x 110amp batteries giving me 220amps usable power (only discharge to 50%) but as a relatively heavy user (rv's eat power :Sad:) we can get 3 to 4 days when the sun is too weak to get any real charge from the solar panel

price !
normally, as with anything, the more you pay the better the quality...but not always.
£70 to £80 is average for a 110ah lead/acid battery.
If I get 2 how do I link them up please in lamens terms

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is there a big benefit for going for 2 and what should be the Average price.

They power you for twice as long.

They take twice as long to charge.

So if you were relying on solar you'd probably have to up the panels.

Think of a battery as your fuel tank, would double the tank size be a benefit or are you always able to fill up in time ?

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
different question

as we are talking leisure btys can I ask this Q.
Have a new bty and its "guaranteed" for x number off cycles.
However as am on EHU mostly here in Spain how will it discharge and re-charge
Surely it will be charged all the time as only using LED lights and not much else.
PS don't forget to answer the Q about wireing up 2 btys

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
They take twice as long to charge.

So if you were relying on solar you'd probably have to up the panels.

Put this way it may confuse some.

I think the two glass analogy is a better way to explain it...

If you fill a pint glass you have a pint.

If you half fill two pint glasses you have a pint.

So you don't really have to double on solar input.

Last edited:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
I too am thinking about two batteries but on mine it's under the drivers seat(L/H drive) and there's no room for two. :Sad:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
What van have you got quickstart. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sorry KICKSTART!!!!! BUSBY.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a bad battery will pull a good one down causing it to fail quicker, if one has failed and they are the same age it stands to reason the other may no have long left anyway.
To connect a pair of batteries connect in parallel i.e. pos to pos and neg to neg, treat a s a pair and preferably take the earth from one battery and pos feed from the other (but not essential).

do you need a second battery or extra solar panel, well to answer that you need to do some sums how many amp/hrs are you going to need, will you be on hookup or wilding, will you be moving every day, 2 days or staying put for a while.

Remember any battery should only be discharged to 50% if you want it to live a while, solar will at least ensure it does not stay flat for long if you overdo it but you must monitor the power available and usage at all times, thats the price you have to pay for living off grid.

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I think most of the questions have already been answered so I will just add this, If you want to monitor your batteries I came across these battery monitors from National Luna fitted to a customers 4x4 and just refitted to the vehicle we are converting for him, dead easy to fit and will monitor each battery individually even in a 24volt bank, there are several versions available in fact I have just got myself this one http://www.expedition-equipment.com...national-luna-dual-battery-monitor-with-alarm

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I've got no chance of that,looks like sticking to one and going steady

Are you sure. I thought Fiat and Peugeot would have same size seat boxes. You have to remove seat to get them in. I am probably wrong. BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If I get 2 how do I link them up please in lamens terms

very easy actually.

buy two length of 6mmsq cable (one red or brown and one black) and two inline fuse holders, plus two 30amp blade fuses.
the distance between batteries will determine the length but more than a few meters will need bigger cable (10mmsq) to allow full power to pass between batteries.

fit a fuse holder at EACH end of the red/brown 6mm wire then connect one end to the positive (+) terminal of the first battery.

connect the other end of the same wire to the positive (+) of the second battery.

now connect the black wire in the same way using the negative terminal of each battery (no fuses needed)

leave the original battery wires from the charger connected as they were/are.

thats it !!!!!!

you now have twice the amps but still at 12v

remember...pos to pos and neg to neg otherwise you get 24volts...not good :Doh:

study the attached image to see what i mean,
battery one is the original and two is the extra one.

Attachments

• 03 May 2010.jpg
    03 May 2010.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Put this way it may confuse some.

I think the two glass analogy is a better way to explain it...

If you fill a pint glass you have a pint.

If you half fill two pint glasses you have a pint.

So you don't really have to double on solar input.

doesnt make sense Sidney !
you dont half charge both batteries so using your analogy you have two pint glasses that both need filling fully.

so to charge two batteries using the same power source (amps) as charging one will take twice as long whereas doubling the power source (amps) will charge both in the same time as one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as we are talking leisure btys can I ask this Q.
Have a new bty and its "guaranteed" for x number off cycles.
However as am on EHU mostly here in Spain how will it discharge and re-charge
Surely it will be charged all the time as only using LED lights and not much else.
PS don't forget to answer the Q about wireing up 2 btys
batteries prefer to be fully charged all the time and on hookup they are just that...fully charged....so they arent being, and dont need, cycling.

a full cycle is fully charged to 50% discharged to fully charged.

on hookup, unless you draw more amps than the charger can put back in, you arent using the batteries at all...just the power from the charger and the batteries are there as a reserve power source.
draw more amps than the charger can deliver, then you use the batteries as well as the charger.
turn off the charger then you use battery power only.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back