Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
HI
I am only used to working on old motors and have always waxoyled underneath but now I have this relitively new motor, so today I had a crawl underneath to have a look at this one and found its mostly treaated plywood . Now as the chassis looks fine and is painted would I be doing more harm than good by softening the wood or would it do that good as well. I have googled it and got conficting stories.
thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HI
I am only used to working on old motors and have always waxoyled underneath but now I have this relitively new motor, so today I had a crawl underneath to have a look at this one and found its mostly treaated plywood . Now as the chassis looks fine and is painted would I be doing more harm than good by softening the wood or would it do that good as well. I have googled it and got conficting stories.
thanks

I worried about this after I squirted waxoyl everywhere. I think just coating the metal could be the smart move.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
HI
thanks

Dont know, but wouldn`t it be best to let the wood/Plywood breath.... ?

Rather than seal in any damp that has got in....:Sad:

Perhaps a spray with "Cuprinol Clear" wood preservative... dont know just guessing... :Doh:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the plywood floor should be 'factory' pressure treated and should last for many years to come as it is.
spraying with waxoyl shouldnt penetrate it so it wont soften.

if the rear chassis is an Alko-Kober jobby, its galvanised so doesn't need any further treatment.

painted chassis will benefit from a drop sprayed on before it starts to rust...which it will eventually..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back