Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I am looking to buy a 2003 C class hymer 19' 6" long coachbuilt with overcab bed and 2.8 engine.

The seller claims 30mpg. Is this reasonable given the big engine?

Also, the engine/base vehicle will probably be a 2002 so what do you think of these engines generally. Are they a good bet. (Has 42000 with FSH)?

Thanks

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am looking to buy a 2003 C class hymer [HI]19' 6" long coachbuilt with overcab bed and 2.8 engine.[/HI]

[HI]The seller claims 30mpg. Is this reasonable given the big engine?[/HI]

Also, the engine/base vehicle will probably be a 2002 so what do you think of these engines generally. Are they a good bet. (Has 42000 with FSH)?

Thanks

My C class Geist is just over 24' and probably a little heavier. I have the 3.0 litre engine. If I'm really steady I achieve 27mpg, but more often 25-26mpg. Hope this helps. :thumb:

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi Joggerman

I too have a Hymer with the 2.8 JTD engine albeit an A class. This was my first venture into the Motor Home fraternity and I looked long and hard before my purchase, last August. Had made my my mind up on what model, liking the non caravan internal appearance of the Hymers . This Fiat engine is used by other manufactures so I believe it is a long tried and test engine. I have recently returned from a trip to the Alps( you might see my earlier posts ) in January, it wasn't a trip without problems. My lack of knowledge was the main prob and not that of the Hymer. My honest opinion it did lack a bit of power especially on some of the autoroutes and did find myself with my foot down hard to floor, not something I like doing. My fuel consumption varied quite a bit. Nice level roads , at about 60mph I reckon 28mpg but when made to work down to 22mpg. On my return I have looked into having a re map on the engine and before a go on another long trip, and I am certainly going for this. They claim another 27 BHP and a slight increase in economy. I certainly didn't make a mistake with the choice of vehicle......I love it and can't wait or my next venture in Europe. Hope you too enjoy the freedom.
:thumb:
Romatone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am looking to buy a 2003 C class hymer 19' 6" long coachbuilt with overcab bed and 2.8 engine.

The seller claims 30mpg. Is this reasonable given the big engine?

Thanks

You do not say what engine it is (Probably a Peugeot or a Fiat) nor do you say what weight your vehicle is and what extras, (solar panels, air suspension, satellite dish) are fitted. All these add weight. It is unlikely you would achieve 30mpg I have a Fiat ducato 2.8 on a N+B and my best result is 25 mpg but my average is between 22 - 23 mpg with all these things fitted.

If your engine is a fiat or Peugeot they are reasonably bullet proof especially if they have been well maintained. Check the timing belt has been changed recently as the mileage is about right for a mh of this age but the timing belt needs to be changed every 5 - 6 years(see manual).

Look for the link on buying a mh on this site it will give you plenty of good advice.

Happy motorhoming.

Norman

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our C class with he 2.8 in it will return 26 to 27 on a long run at a constant 52mph IN WARM WEATHER. ( and ours is 'chipped' for economy )

Soon as it gets cold or we are doing short runs, or a fast run, we average 22 to 23mpg

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Mine is 23 feet on a 2.8 and I don't normally get less than 22mpg but never more than 26mpg. Don't generally do more than 60mph with a mixture of motorway and back roads.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hymer engine

We have a Starline 630 with the Merc 5 cyl 2.7 turbodiesel and speedshift gearbox (like in the best sprinters) This is a great engine, and we certainly get 30 mpg fully laden with motorscooter in the garage.
I hope its this engine because according to my Neighbour, a soon to retire, Merc diesel mechanic, this is Mercs best engine.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I had a Hymer B584 2003 2.8 JTD for 4 years

Once I got it remapped by WOW power it was a great engine
Prior to that it was a bit of a slogger
I would say I got on Av 25 mpg after the remap, which for a 3500 tonner was not too bad
I had cruise control fitted and used it quite a lot and found this to be more economical at 60 ish mph. If you are a bit heavy footed and want to roll along at 65 -70 mph then mpg can come down to 20 - 22 mpg

Happy Hymer Daze
Chris

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We have a 2005 B584..... without remapping it did 26mph, had it remapped and we only got 22mph. :cry:

I took it back 3 times to the company that did the remapping because it was so poor on economy.

Finnally we now get 28-29 on normal driving useing the cruise control, and it still has a very good power band. :winky:

Keith

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
The van has been in storage for a year.

Are there issues which I should watch out for because of this, and if I purchased it what would I need to do regarding servicing etc?

Thanks

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
If it has been standing for a year then the tyres would defiantly need checking for flat spots and cracking, also check how old they are, your local tyre depot should be able to do this for you. You could also do a search on here as Papajohn has put a very good article about tyres on here
Also the cam belt would need changing after standing that long

Best of luck
Chrisboyo

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fiat Ducato 2.8 mpg

Hi,

We had a Dethleffs 2006 overcab [21ft] with the 2.8 engine, and currently have a 21ft 2006 Hymer A class with the same engine. In the Dethleffs I never beat 26mpg, and I drive steadily. In the Hymer, which is more aeordynamic than the overcab, I can sometimes get 28mpg, but very rarely better than that no matter how I drive.

The only vehicle we have had which bettered 30mpg was a 2008 Chausson with the 2.3 Fiat engine and 6 speed box. Frequently got 32mpg in that, but it was a low-profile. None of my vans had been chipped for economy [or power fr that matter] which might make a difference, but 30 mpg seems a little heroic to me! happy hunting.

Gary :Smile:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Interesting thread...
My last van was a '99 Ducato, Mobilvetta 57s. An older engine than where you're heading but with the van fully loaded we we in the mid 20's fuel wise. I think this is a sensible consumption for these vans and to take too much notice of the consumption takes away the enjoyment of driving them.:Smile:
The new van is a tranny engine...::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back